The Topic Of Chainsaw Bars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Watching with interest. I've recently had two or three Stihl bar nose sprockets sieze up on me.
Sent you a PM.

And hmm, that is something to hear you say that you had some nose sprockets seize up.
Lightweight 04/06, Lightweight ES bars or Standard weight Rollomatic E? Length of these bars? How old were the bars? Greased or just ran em till seized? Plunge cutting?

i am really enjoying tsumura laminated bar. i've had it for 2 years and havent had to dress the rails yet. it changed teh weight balance to neutral . i wish i had it when i started out , just dont think i would of appreciated it. you just dont know till you know.

Sent you a PM.

And hmm, that is something to hear you say that you had some nose sprockets seize up.
Lightweight 04/06, Lightweight ES bars or Standard weight Rollomatic E? Length of these bars? How old were the bars? Greased or just ran em till seized? Plunge cutting?

The bars were standard weight rollomatics that were 20, 25 and 36 inches respectively. The bars hadn't yet worn through a chain they were so new. The bar groove was kept scrupulously clean. Oilers set to max. I checked everything - oil pump, worm gear, lines, ultimately I blame the rotatech bar oil that I was using. I have switched to a more liquid oil and the problem went away. But my bar tips are really stiff and need replacing.

The bars were standard weight rollomatics that were 20, 25 and 36 inches respectively. The bars hadn't yet worn through a chain they were so new. The bar groove was kept scrupulously clean. Oilers set to max. I checked everything - oil pump, worm gear, lines, ultimately I blame the rotatech bar oil that I was using. I have switched to a more liquid oil and the problem went away. But my bar tips are really stiff and need replacing.
Dang, sorry that you encountered this issue multiple times.

From a novice who has never had one seize, I see that you having 3 to do so, as an oddity that like you said, points to a source other than the bars themselves or the oiler parts.

I’ve got Stihl, Husqvarna, Sugihara, and Tsumara LW bars and can’t tell a dimes worth of difference between them. I’m not a professional logger and don’t abuse my bars, so your results may vary.

Back