Thoughts on this "Yamaha" saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Laws don't apply to the Chinese. Never have and why one day in the future we will all be eating raw fish with chopsticks.

I see VW is talking about closing their German factories because the imported from China, vehicles are putting them out of business. Kind of like clone saw, buy em cheap and hell with everything else.

On another non related forum, there is a guy gushing about his Ego, electric lawnmower which of course are made in China. I take a firm pass on that stuff.

The issue is, sanctions on China really mean nothing to them. They don't care about them and will keep right on doing exactly what they are doing and the swan song of cheaply made hard goods resonates with buyers, not only in Europe, but here as well as noted by the purchase of cheap Chinese saws on this site and others. Why buy an expensive name brand like Stihl or Echo or Husky when you can buy a saw for half the cost, chains and parts as well. Like the Hipa vendor. All Chinese and all a lot less expensive than the genuine counterparts..

Might not be the same quality as the genuine stuff, but it's cheap and therein lies the impetus for buying it. People here and elsewhere. People here and elsewhere are geard to cheaper is better even if cheaper is lower quality and the Chinese comply with cheap labor and substandard products. I will say that not everything made in China is substandard. The Chinese can and will produce quality hard goods with proper oversight, a good example is battery operated power tools. Milwaukee and DeWalt and other name brand cordless power tools are made in China, a lot of them on the same production lines as the less expensive Harbor Freight cordless power tools, the difference is oversight.

If the Chinese are left to their own standards without oversight, they produce substandard products and sell them for less, usually a lot less and the buying public, not only here, but it Europe, vacuum them up.

People are under the impression that brand name tools are more expensive because of their inherent quality but in reality, they are all made in the same Chinese factories on the same production lines, the only difference is oversight.

Bottom line is, a cheap Chinese saw is just that, a cheap clone, cheaply made and the life will be shorter. Of course you can modify it (people on here do) but the build quality is lacking and ultimately it will fail.

Myself, I try to buy name brand stuff always. Just ordered a fuel pump for my wife's zero turn mower on Amazon. I had a choice between a Chinese pump and a Genuine Briggs pump. The only difference was price. The Briggs pump cost almost 2 times what the Chinese clone cost but I still bought the genuine part. Why? Because the genuine part actually has a guarantee. The Chinese part has none. You buy the Chinese part and it don't work or fails quickly, what do you have? You have nothing. I don't play that way and I'm willing to pay more for a quality part and that also applies to power tools like chainsaws. A while ago I did purchase a Farmtec saw for kicks and grins. It was cheap and I was not impressed. In fact, I used it 2 times and gifted it to the guy down the road. Not something I want to keep.

Far as the Chinese automobiles go, the swan song of cheaper resonates worldwide. So they don't last or catch on fire regularly. People will still buy them based entirely on price and roll the dice. Human nature to buy cheap and the Chinese comply/

Sanctions mean little to nothing to them. So long as their bottom line remains solidly in the black, they could care less. The have cheap labor unlike we do or the EU has and that in itself makes their products less expensive. No unions there, no ancillary benefits, no retirement, nothing that exists in the EU and here that jacks the cost of hard goods up.

Bottom line here is the 'legacy costs' are the driving factor in the overall cost of hard goods, especially automobiles and trucks. That don't exist in the Chinese economy and makes us uncompetitive with them.

What is the answer, I don't know, but I know one thing and that is, nothing will change in the foreseeable future.

If the sanctions proposed go through, the cheapo China car will cost about what a euro economy car does. Given the costs will be close and the quality is pretty far apart, I suspect the cheapo China cars won't last long with sanctions against them.

The issue is, sanctions on China really mean nothing to them. They don't care about them and will keep right on doing exactly what they are doing and the swan song of cheaply made hard goods resonates with buyers, not only in Europe, but here as well as noted by the purchase of cheap Chinese saws on this site and others. Why buy an expensive name brand like Stihl or Echo or Husky when you can buy a saw for half the cost, chains and parts as well. Like the Hipa vendor. All Chinese and all a lot less expensive than the genuine counterparts..

Might not be the same quality as the genuine stuff, but it's cheap and therein lies the impetus for buying it. People here and elsewhere. People here and elsewhere are geard to cheaper is better even if cheaper is lower quality and the Chinese comply with cheap labor and substandard products. I will say that not everything made in China is substandard. The Chinese can and will produce quality hard goods with proper oversight, a good example is battery operated power tools. Milwaukee and DeWalt and other name brand cordless power tools are made in China, a lot of them on the same production lines as the less expensive Harbor Freight cordless power tools, the difference is oversight.

If the Chinese are left to their own standards without oversight, they produce substandard products and sell them for less, usually a lot less and the buying public, not only here, but it Europe, vacuum them up.

People are under the impression that brand name tools are more expensive because of their inherent quality but in reality, they are all made in the same Chinese factories on the same production lines, the only difference is oversight.

Bottom line is, a cheap Chinese saw is just that, a cheap clone, cheaply made and the life will be shorter. Of course you can modify it (people on here do) but the build quality is lacking and ultimately it will fail.

Myself, I try to buy name brand stuff always. Just ordered a fuel pump for my wife's zero turn mower on Amazon. I had a choice between a Chinese pump and a Genuine Briggs pump. The only difference was price. The Briggs pump cost almost 2 times what the Chinese clone cost but I still bought the genuine part. Why? Because the genuine part actually has a guarantee. The Chinese part has none. You buy the Chinese part and it don't work or fails quickly, what do you have? You have nothing. I don't play that way and I'm willing to pay more for a quality part and that also applies to power tools like chainsaws. A while ago I did purchase a Farmtec saw for kicks and grins. It was cheap and I was not impressed. In fact, I used it 2 times and gifted it to the guy down the road. Not something I want to keep.

Far as the Chinese automobiles go, the swan song of cheaper resonates worldwide. So they don't last or catch on fire regularly. People will still buy them based entirely on price and roll the dice. Human nature to buy cheap and the Chinese comply/

Sanctions mean little to nothing to them. So long as their bottom line remains solidly in the black, they could care less. The have cheap labor unlike we do or the EU has and that in itself makes their products less expensive. No unions there, no ancillary benefits, no retirement, nothing that exists in the EU and here that jacks the cost of hard goods up.

Bottom line here is the 'legacy costs' are the driving factor in the overall cost of hard goods, especially automobiles and trucks. That don't exist in the Chinese economy and makes us uncompetitive with them.

What is the answer, I don't know, but I know one thing and that is, nothing will change in the foreseeable future.
Not everyone knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.

I refuse to by Chinese junk when possible. Especially not knock off counterfeit items.
I think the cheap bastages buying such items deserve to be chastised repeatedly for such poor choices.

You and I may butt heads from time to time, but this is 100% correct.
You get what you pay for, just like it's always been.

Yes you do get what you pay for . You buy cheap you get cheap I have tools and equipment made from all over the world but they were the more expensive higher quality items . But I do buy throw away items from time to time . Something that needs to work a few times because that’s all I’ll ever need it for . For example the lock nut for the front axle spindle on the 4x4 Suzuki that I owned was a special pin socket nothing I had or friends had would work I ended up with a Chinese piece that came directly from China . It cost me 18 bucks closest thing I could find was a custom piece on eBay made in the US for 175 or one directly from Suzuki of Japan for over 200 . The car is long gone and I still have the tool . Change a total of 4 front axles on two Suzukis I owned .

I look at these saws that way .

I'll take an unpopular opinion on this.

Some of this cheap crap is a very good thing. Improves the quality of life for a lot of people who simply can't afford the good stuff.

When I was growing up, a $500 chainsaw flatly didn't exist in my world. That's what a pro saw cost new, but the vehicles I was driving didn't cost $500. The first two vehicles I owned added together came to $500. Spending that on a saw wasn't happening. The $40 Sears return shelf Poulan knockoff? That I could make happen, and thus I had a chainsaw and was able to cut a hell of a lot more wood than with an axe or hand saw.

First air conditioner I ever bought cost $100. Life altering. You can sleep during the summer? Amazing. What would an American made AC have cost? More than I could have afforded. When it's 105F, a cheap AC is better than no AC, and those were my options.

In a better position in life now, have the good chainsaw and the central air in my house. Also thankful those cheap things existed when I needed them.

Some of this cheap crap is a very good thing. Improves the quality of life for a lot of people who simply can't afford the good stuff.

When I was growing up, a $500 chainsaw flatly didn't exist in my world. That's what a pro saw cost new, but the vehicles I was driving didn't cost $500. The first two vehicles I owned added together came to $500. Spending that on a saw wasn't happening. The $40 Sears return shelf Poulan knockoff? That I could make happen, and thus I had a chainsaw and was able to cut a hell of a lot more wood than with an axe or hand saw.

First air conditioner I ever bought cost $100. Life altering. You can sleep during the summer? Amazing. What would an American made AC have cost? More than I could have afforded. When it's 105F, a cheap AC is better than no AC, and those were my options.

In a better position in life now, have the good chainsaw and the central air in my house. Also thankful those cheap things existed when I needed them.
Living within your means never goes out of style.

The problem is purchasing Chinese junk just drives more people into being poor.

The used name-brand saw market has gone ridiculous over the past 5 years or so. I am surely not gonna pay those prices. I bought the used saws I wanted for fair money many years ago, along with a few new ones.

I took a gamble and bought some "cheap chinese junk" saws over the past couple of years. 1) because I'm cheap 2) because I have no interest in the new name-brand saws. I like the way saws from the mid 80's to the early 2000's are built.

All of my few chinese saws run well, oil well, tune predictably, and are a pleasure to operate. I don't plan on buying any more. I find my self running them more often than the others. Like today. Like yesterday, Like 3 days ago, and every other time I have run a saw since I got them. I always have one on board. The best part about them is that they tune and oil. Newer, epa saws barely oil and don't tune as predictably overall.

Many of you who put the chinese junk down have never even tried one. So, there's that. Some of you are simply trying to protect your turf. Some of you, while chastising the quality of them, overlook the quality issues of the name brand saws, which are not what they used to be, imo.

One other thing, I lost faith in the name branders when they had so many catastrophic failures over a period of many years and didn't stand behind their products to support their customers as the equipment was regularly failing in various ways. This was real. I was there. Many sawhands were refused warranty because the equipment was flawed, not because the guys had done anything wrong.

Buying a chinese saw has nothing to do with being cheap, in my case. It is about aquiring an older tech machine that works the way I became accustomed to and that I prefer. There has been no indication to me that they are junk. Not slick and cool, but certainly not junk.

I am on my second year of cutting nearly all of my firewood (not a lot, about 6 cords or so) with a few chinese saws. Mostly just two of them. I also clear fencelines and some other chores with them. So far, there has been no indication whatsoever that they are junk. I may not even run my "nice" saws this fall, idk. Well, that's crazy, cause I probably will. But not a lot. I go in streaks. I pick up a saw or two and just keep running them over and over. Right now, the chinese ones are my go to's. They run great! So there's that.

I will definitely report here if one fails miserably...

I bought a full set of big chinese wrenches (3/4 to 2 3/4 I think they are) about 30 years ago. I've had 4' snipes on them. Jumping on them, and they have been remarkable. I've locked wrenches together like you do, and they have been fine.I had to bring the first set back because one wrench was malformed. I carefully picked another set and they have been good to now.

Canada has applied a 100% tariff on Chinese EV's. That's an attack on the consumer, as far as I'm concerned.

The used name-brand saw market has gone ridiculous over the past 5 years or so. I am surely not gonna pay those prices. I bought the used saws I wanted for fair money many years ago, along with a few new ones.

I took a gamble and bought some "cheap chinese junk" saws over the past couple of years. 1) because I'm cheap 2) because I have no interest in the new name-brand saws. I like the way saws from the mid 80's to the early 2000's are built.

All of my few chinese saws run well, oil well, tune predictably, and are a pleasure to operate. I don't plan on buying any more. I find my self running them more often than the others. Like today. Like yesterday, Like 3 days ago, and every other time I have run a saw since I got them. I always have one on board. The best part about them is that they tune and oil. Newer, epa saws barely oil and don't tune as predictably overall.

Many of you who put the chinese junk down have never even tried one. So, there's that. Some of you are simply trying to protect your turf. Some of you, while chastising the quality of them, overlook the quality issues of the name brand saws, which are not what they used to be, imo.

One other thing, I lost faith in the name branders when they had so many catastrophic failures over a period of many years and didn't stand behind their products to support their customers as the equipment was regularly failing in various ways. This was real. I was there. Many sawhands were refused warranty because the equipment was flawed, not because the guys had done anything wrong.

Buying a chinese saw has nothing to do with being cheap, in my case. It is about aquiring an older tech machine that works the way I became accustomed to and that I prefer. There has been no indication to me that they are junk. Not slick and cool, but certainly not junk.

I am on my second year of cutting nearly all of my firewood (not a lot, about 6 cords or so) with a few chinese saws. Mostly just two of them. I also clear fencelines and some other chores with them. So far, there has been no indication whatsoever that they are junk. I may not even run my "nice" saws this fall, idk. Well, that's crazy, cause I probably will. But not a lot. I go in streaks. I pick up a saw or two and just keep running them over and over. Right now, the chinese ones are my go to's. They run great! So there's that.

I will definitely report here if one fails miserably...

I bought a full set of big chinese wrenches (3/4 to 2 3/4 I think they are) about 30 years ago. I've had 4' snipes on them. Jumping on them, and they have been remarkable. I've locked wrenches together like you do, and they have been fine.I had to bring the first set back because one wrench was malformed. I carefully picked another set and they have been good to now.

Canada has applied a 100% tariff on Chinese EV's. That's an attack on the consumer, as far as I'm concerned.
There in lies the problem. You probably only need one "good" saw, yet you choose to buy Chinese **** out of spite.

The alternative for a lot of people is buying nothing.

I have a boatload of Stihls from the 1980s-1990s. Only one bought new, that came as a package deal on a logosol M5 mill, $1600 for mill, new 066, and accessories.

The rest of the Stihls I got free or <$100 and rebuilt them with OEM parts. Not more than $300 into any of them.

Back