Todays score........... and my new toy "The Barshop"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried looking for something like a Barshop for a while but I couldn't find anything... so I made my own. Sorry it's not the most recent picture but I think you get the idea. I've since ditched the CBN wheel and went with normal cutting wheels and made a stand. The next time I'm out in the shop I'll snap a picture of it's current state. It still looks like a prototype but it works well.

IMG_0884.jpg

One thing I don't see on the Barshop is an easy way to adjust the grooving wheel to base distance, it looks fixed. So how do you center the grove for different bar thicknesses? That is why I included a vertical adjustment on the table. Yes, it's a re-purposed cross-slide vise.

Nice looking machine you made. :msp_thumbup: Where do you get your different gauge wheels?
I didn't have time to mess with it today. It appears there are paper thin metal disc shims under the wheel. I assume you add or remove the shims to center the wheel in the bar slot.
I tried calling the company today, they are closed on Fridays. :(

Nice looking machine you made. :msp_thumbup: Where do you get your different gauge wheels?
I didn't have time to mess with it today. It appears there are paper thin metal disc shims under the wheel. I assume you add or remove the shims to center the wheel in the bar slot.

I use an arm I made with a diamond dresser on it to skinny up some non-reenforced cutting wheels I found. Also some cutting wheels I get cut perfectly for a 0.063 gauge until they start wearing into the reenforced section. When they get too warn I just use them to cut out after I repair a bar by welding the rails up with Stellite alloy 6 hard facing rod and then use a new wheel to get them out to finish size.

I had some time to mess with it yesterday. I found the adjustment wheel for centering the groove cutting disc. The motor is fastened with large wing bolts. Loosen the bolts and turn adjuster to desired height.

I also contacted the company yesterday. The lady I spoke with said they do not make the Barshop anymore. They do still stock the grinding wheels and discs. I described the one I had, and she said it was the Barshop Pro. They made some that will do less stuff than this one. She also said they started making them in the 50's and mine was likely an early 1970's unit.

IMG_5042.jpg

IMG_5043.jpg

Not gonna lie, every time I see the title of this thread in the main list, my brain sees "The Barbershop". Every time.

I had some time to mess with it yesterday. I found the adjustment wheel for centering the groove cutting disc. The motor is fastened with large wing bolts. Loosen the bolts and turn adjuster to desired height.

I also contacted the company yesterday. The lady I spoke with said they do not make the Barshop anymore. They do still stock the grinding wheels and discs. I described the one I had, and she said it was the Barshop Pro. They made some that will do less stuff than this one. She also said they started making them in the 50's and mine was likely an early 1970's unit.

Thanks, I see how it works now. They must have some precision machined bolt holes to keep the motor aligned to the table then? Or they just don't care and let the blade flex. On the machine I made I put adjusters in both horizontal directions on the table, then I used a dial indicator on the grinder shaft to make the table within a few thousands of an inch for the sweep where the grinding wheel would be on the table.

I'm sure the throw away bars now days probably killed the need to produce such a machine. The only shop I could find that advertised bar repair was Chain Bar Repairing in Portland. It is probably the last place in the US that can support such a business. It turned out that shipping a 37" and 42" bars there and back was going to cost 5x the cost of having them re-sized. :msp_scared:

The motor has a channel it rides in in front and back of it to keep it square. It has zero tolerance, it can not twist at all.

Last edited:

The paper disc shims are called blotter. When you order the grooving wheels from SPECIALTY MOTORS MFG., LLC they will send you extra blotters. The people that work here (Sharon and Lou) are wonderful and will go out of there way to help you. I talked to Lou the inventor of the Barshop® and he said the blotters are about .01". It's trial and error to get the grooving wheel lined up with your bar. Try not to make the arbor nut too tight. Thankfully I ordered extra wheels because I busted the first one trying to get it lined up. I only work on .063 gauge bars so I don't have to worry about lineing the wheel up again. It looks like your machine didn't come with much of a safety guard so be very careful. When the wheels bust apart it's like flying shrapnel.

I'm sure the throw away bars now days probably killed the need to produce such a machine. The only shop I could find that advertised bar repair was Chain Bar Repairing in Portland. It is probably the last place in the US that can support such a business. It turned out that shipping a 37" and 42" bars there and back was going to cost 5x the cost of having them re-sized. :msp_scared:

All true! I've mailed my 68" bar from Western PA to these guys and I think it cost like $150 roundtrip. They do great work but I wish they were a little closer.

The 031's were actually a great score considering I can triple my money with them on ebay. ;)

I'm all for sharing them, but I lack the pc skills to do so. If somebody can do it efficiently, I'd be glad to send them to that person.

We have a pretty fast auto feed scanner at work. I would be happy to give one a try.

Last edited:
Nice haul on saws and accesories. The two foxes in the background. One is a grey, what's the other one? The color looks a lot like a ranch silver, but I'm thinking not and probably a wild caught black strain of the grey fox family.

We have a pretty fast auto feed scanner at work. I would be happy to give one a try.
I'll give you a pm.
Nice haul on saws and accesories. The two foxes in the background. One is a grey, what's the other one? The color looks a lot like a ranch silver, but I'm thinking not and probably a wild caught black strain of the grey fox family.

Yep, it's a ranch silver. I had a couple brought in last winter shot in the area that looked just like the ranched one.

How do you like the machine?

Have you used it much?

Any issues?

Even harder to find the a inexpensive square grinder, so the cool tool factor is way up there.

I had an Oregon bar dresser it stood on four legs and was a cast iron box with a cast iron table when i had my saw repair shop in the late 80's great tool but the bar groover was deadly as the bar was rotated past the grooving wheel the wall opposite had some nice slits in it when it flicked the bar straight out of your hands god help anyone walking past other than that dressing rails was easy and dressing the burrs off the sides .... sold it off when i closed my saw repair shop

McBob.

How do you like the machine?

Have you used it much?

Any issues?

Even harder to find the a inexpensive square grinder, so the cool tool factor is way up there.

I use the Barshop quite a bit. I like it just fine, very accurate. The only issue is the space it takes up. :(

i found one like exactly like this in an old barn on some property i bought a couple months back. it looks to be in rough condition but everything seems to be there. (other than the wheels on the bottom). Whoever had owned it also cut of the ground on the cord. i am in no need of it. if anyone wants to make offers. its located in Louisiana. It will probly need new blades and a new belt. any offers just let me know.

Back