ts500i problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pull the recoil and check grinding burrs from metal stuck to the mags
Uh.... the recoil is right hand on a TS500i.
Do you mean under the flywheel on the left? ;)
I've personally never seen a TS500i issue with metal bits clinging to the flywheel magnets that caused a generator stator to fail, but that's not to say it can't happen.

I tore it down today. Mercy, nothing like a weed eater with one cover. I got 5 boxes of parts. Wires going everywhere. No carb. Strange machine. The cylinder, I can see lines but can not feel except the areas where the rings meet. I can feel it there. The piston, not bad except that in one place it is scored in such a way that the rings were not able to expand. Thus no compression. This likely caused the end of the rings to scratch the cylinder as they did. I can't decide if OEM or $100 aftermarket piston and cylinder????? I need to find a schematics drawing. I suspect it has a case pressure switch. [Edit, I downloaded a manual. What I see in the case that I thought might be a pressure switch is called a generator in the schematics. end edit.] It has several wires attaching to the case but one electronic something that is below the others. If so, that is why it shut itself down, no fire or fuel.

Post up some pics of the cylinder.

The sensor you are speaking about near the bottom off the crankcase is a multifunction sensor. It senses the crankshaft position, atmospheric pressure, crankcase pressure/temperature/ fuel mixture.
I've never seen one fail either.
Amazing.
The stuck rings are usually caused by either lack of lubrication or old fuel that's separating, or water contamination.

Bought a cheap cylinder and piston off ebay, claimed new, $60. Upon inspection, it was not in great shape. As if it were a reject off the assembly line. Burrs all around ports, edge of base where it meets the base not flat as if it had been dropped. Metal not full in one place and carb screw holes not tapped far enough for oem screws. But I used it, put it all back together. And it crank right up. I assume it will have power when it is put in the concrete. It was in my opinion 6x more trouble than a chain saw

Glad you got it going.

I feel the opposite about the difficulty level of chainsaw vs cutoff saw rebuilds though.
I can change out a cylinder kit on a TS500i in less than an hour, and that includes recalibrating the computer back to factory settings.
The first time rebuilding one without ever having done a TS420 first would probably be a daunting task.
Chainsaws are nasty, and you must not have ever taken apart a newer Stihl chainsaw like a 441. They are a PITA.

Just installed one of the new "Cross" brand Nikasil cylinder kits from HL Supply this morning.
I gotta say, very good quality, Caber rings, and the piston has the ring locator pins are in the same location as the OEM pistons.
None of the other aftermarket pistons are like that. I reused the factory base gasket with a super thin layer of Yamabond 4, and had zero leaks on pressure & vacuum test. Can't tell the difference in power or idle.
None of the issues with the other aftermarket kit on the market as far as the throttle shutter bolt threads not being threaded all the way.
Plus the two hollow cylinder locator hollow dowels bolt down properly,
- where as the other AM cylinders were seemingly not drilled deep enough to let the cylinder base squeeze the gasket tight unless clearanced.

Latest posts

Back