Universal main bearings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Carberry

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just got a Pioneer P40 it looks like it might need new main bearings. I probably wont be able to find new original ones. They are of the regular unsealed ball bearing type. Anybody ever use universal ones from a bearing supply? If so where do you find them at and how do you accurately measure them?

When you disassemble the saw, remove the bearings and you will see that they are numbered. Take that bearing with you to the supply house. If it is a big place with knowledgable people staffing it, you can even buy higher speed bearings for a little more and get better reliability. If you have to order over the phone that number should get you what you need. Once in a while there is no identification on the bearing. The supply house can match it up by dimensions. I have had good luck with Bower, Timken, J.A.P. the ones marked Sweeden, Germany and France(last choice) but not others. Mike

What Mike said, put the bearing right in Bearing Man's hand, and while you're at it, same goes for the seals. If seals are completely destroyed, bring the crank for measurement.

Back