What did I break off near my flywheel? On my MS311, not sure exactly what it is.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

junkmaleforest

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Cliff notes: I was trying to save money fixing a completely different issue & save time because nearest person able to work on a saw from me is over 45m one way on the best of days.

I attempted to take off flywheel. I broke off this stud thing in the middle. I've tried looking at these parts diagrams but I'm unsure as to what I even broke.
https://www.diyspareparts.com/parts/stihl/diagrams/ms311/

Can anyone tell me what the heck this is? I am assuming that it will need to be replaced to have a functional saw. I can't thread the nut back on the flywheel.

It's a lightly used saw, homeowner use only. Had many things fixed and replaced over the years with all OEM stihl parts. I also I have a dozen chains and spare bar for this guy. I would ideally like to fix it myself as spending $300 for someone else to do that isn't really an option for me(just my guess on what it would cost + fixing another issue). Any help is appreciated. If I have toasted the crankshaft, I will just have to use a smaller electric saw I have until I can afford to fix it.

Thanks you.

Attachments

• 20240909_134109.jpg
    20240909_134109.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240909_134129.jpg
    20240909_134129.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
Please explain in detail just how you tried to remove the flywheel.
100% is it the stub end of the crankshaft in your hand- new crank required.
Just used a socket to remove the nut and it snapped with very little effort. I wasn't hitting it with a hammer or my DCF900 or anything stupid like that.

makes ya wonder- taking a clutch off a small stihl home owners saw- can't remember the model - clutch was really on there and finally gave- crank broke off right down to the seal area- parts saw anyway, just wanted the clutch
I never even got the clutch off. I just stopped at that point because I was pretty sure I had just royally f'd up.

Maybe last time it was off- or it use to come loose and shear keys- that someone decided to hit it on with a 1/2" air impact and you get to suffer the consequences?
I have never taken it apart. It's only been serviced at the local auth. stihl dealer. Because of how much of a pain in the ass it is for me to get there, I just couldn't get it there this time. Either way, I am over it. I don't have any welding stuff or know anyone who can weld it for me. Maybe one day I will rebuild this thing with some non-OE parts. I need to replace the oiler, fix a bar oil leak from the case and just think, if I am going to do all that I might as well buy a used but running one for $300ish or buy a used commercial line saw that some rich home owner bough, used to cut up a few trees and get it for half price. I see them all the time in my area for sale like that. That or a $125 ebay knockoff!!

Thank you everyone for the replies and ideas.

I have never taken it apart. It's only been serviced at the local auth. stihl dealer. Because of how much of a pain in the ass it is for me to get there, I just couldn't get it there this time. Either way, I am over it. I don't have any welding stuff or know anyone who can weld it for me. Maybe one day I will rebuild this thing with some non-OE parts. I need to replace the oiler, fix a bar oil leak from the case and just think, if I am going to do all that I might as well buy a used but running one for $300ish or buy a used commercial line saw that some rich home owner bough, used to cut up a few trees and get it for half price. I see them all the time in my area for sale like that. That or a $125 ebay knockoff!!

Thank you everyone for the replies and ideas.

Well, it looks like it has been partially severed in the past- if not by you being the first owner- then by whomever serviced it.
Have seen a few sheared by impact guns- people trying to remove flywheels with impact chisels- pipes put on breaker bars- over tensioned belts on demo saws- but never by hand with basic socket and ratchets.

My area has very few used saws available, so I would bolt it. If I was in a hurry I would weld it. If I had a lot of good used saws available I would buy one of those and put the current one on the shelf for now.

I'd say that crank end was already weakened before you finished it off. Did your shop ever take the flywheel off?

If funds are an issue I would just buy one of those supmix saws and run with that for a while. I am impressed by mine. I have no idea how long it will last, but so far after about 20 tanks of fuel thru one and a few through the one I gave my son I see no reason they won't hold together for a good long time. I wouldn't have given one of my sons' one if I thought he would have trouble with it. He is fully capable of fixing anything, but doesn't have the time to fart around.

The only issue with those saws that I know is the air filter seal is ****. I almost have that solved with a few o-rings and a couple of washers but it still leaks some fines. I'll try my next idea soon...

If you go that route, buy the one that matches the blue one sold in canada advertised as 62cc. The plastics are a fair amount better. And the air filter leak is easier to solve, simply because there's a bit more room under the filter cover.

I used to be a saw snob. Not anymore.

Good luck! Hopefully you find a nice used saw for a reasonable price!

This could be a good excuse to reach out to local community. Stick up a flyer at the local market... Wanted, welder for 5 minutes job. Explain the situation. I would do it for a beer and a handshake. Or maybe the universe is telling you to learn a new skill. Little mig welders are affordable and really awesome for being creative and fixing/making stuff. Welding is practically a superpower. For a temporary repair just a washer over the nub and a few tac welds. Do not be discouraged, look at it like a new challenge.

Either way good luck, thought a little motivation couldn't hurt.

Latest posts

Back