What grease to use?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay Chopper, I grant you that an individual bearing in its race/cage turns many revolutions for each tire/clutch drum revolution. However, your muliplying factor based on tire diameter makes no sense. the only relevant numbers would be race diameter and individual bearing diameter. Frankly I don't much care. The engineers who designed the equipment can worry about adequate bearing design. Most wheel bearing failures can be traced to infrequent lubrication or long service leading to excessive tolerances ( and the failures aren't really very frequent.) Chainsaw clutch bearings fail so rarely that it is almost not worth talkng about. I think you got so many responses because many of us hate authoritative statements that are erroneous. Hope you had fun. ;)

This is my last post in this thread, I had fun and hope you did too xander. wrong or right, it dosent matter. For the sake of argument Xander you are a more than worthy opponent, and I have much respect for you sticking to your guns like that :) ..no hard feelings huh.. now I have to know, whats your turbine engine experience? The reason I ask is you passed the small test I threw at you. I was refering to the Allison T-56A-1 engine it has a reduced ADH because its a constant speed engine.

Nice battle, helped me blow off some steam, and I enjoyed it very much! Thanks Xander!

You guys are too smart for me. So who will be putting in the last word here? There is a betting line going on the PM front.

Gypo,
I liked the Buffet quote.
Fun-chopper,
I don't take facts personally. If I did I could bear another day with myself.:p
Seriously, I enjoy to match wits with someone. My Gas Turbine experience comes from the first 5 years I spent in the Navy. I was a Gas Turbine Technician (GSM) by rate and spent my first five years shipboard. I have assembled, dissasembled, changed out, trouble shot and repaired. GE LM 2500, Allison 501K17 and TF40 gas turbines and their ancillary equipment. Currently I'm an Engineering student (mechanical) at the University of Cincinnati.
Now I feel all exposed and naked in front of all of you big scary tree guys. Don't get any ideas Babcock, Gypo told me about you!
How all that got me to climb trees to feed the family is beyond me.

Isn't the turbine on the C-130 is a fourteen stage compressor with fixed vanes and air operated overpressure valves to prevent stall during start up. If it's the Allison I'm thinking of I believe it is a constant 13,821 or 14,200 rpm turbine. Please let me know if I'm wrong because I won't bet that I'm right.

its a modular design, turboprop engine with a 14-stage, axial flow compressor driven by a four-stage turbine unit. The reduction gearbox has two stages of gear reduction, and is connected to the power section by a torquemeter assembly. The 5th and 10th stagees crack during start for less stress in the compressor stage. Fixed vanes (thank god! no VSVs) and at a optiman 100% it turns 14,237.8 rpm (per allison tech manual) the engine speed is governed by the variable pictch of the propeller.

I prefer this homemade gas turbine that uses a turbocharger and propane. All it really was made for was to be the worlds loudest beer cooler.

fcf75ec3.jpg

This thread is going to make me a senior member when its all said and done!..lol. I like the engine there DB, what does it do? generate power? emergency hand warmer?..lol

Fun chopper,
I've worked on one of those turbines used in a generator set. I ran one for 5 1/2 months without shutting it down or performing any maintenance. We shut it down for 2 days to perform maintenance and fired it back up again. Do the turbo prop applications use a liquid fuel valve (shuts off fuel if you loose oil pressure)? That and the radial drive shaft for the AGB were the only things that seem to go wrong on them. They are a super simple (compared to other axial flow turbines), ultra reliable turbine. Maybe we could make one drive a hotsaw? 7000 horsepower could make a really fast cut. We don't have to lift it by hand do we?

It cools beer and makes a lot of noise. N1 is 90,000 RPM, compressor pressure is 40 PSIA and EGT is about 1050 F. That's about it from way down under.

Doug,
Did you build it, buy it, design it or all three? Could you send a couple more pics of it? What does it use to cool? I would guess either bleed air, the propane (on its way to the combustor), or does it drive a compressor? Is it a radial or axial turbine? Is that an external can style combustor? You've really peaked my interest with this one. I hate it when someone has a cooler (no pun) toy than I do!

Last edited:
The dont auto shut down, because they are manualy operated, and monitored during all phases of operation. 5.5 months thats a long time, did you have any turbine burn thru? We tend to experience turbine blade decay after 2-3k hours. the blades are burning down to nubs..not cool!

Db..you need to hook us up with more..lol

Sorry fellas, the turbine's not mine, but I really get into reading about them just the same. You're still safe in this regard, Xander, although when I get ready for a new offshore cat, there may well be a couple of turbines under the hatches. Here are a couple of links that I check out often:

http://home.cdsnet.net/~purple/projects/turbine/top.htm

http://www.gas-turbines.com/

Hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

That dude is brilliant! Rapid transfer of liquid..Awesome invention I will never look at propane bottle the same again!..Brilliant!!

Latest posts

Back