What is your favourite climbing saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
200t Stihl with 14-16 inch bar and a muffler mod. Buy a used one from Lonewolf on the trading post, He does a great job at fixing them up. He usually has a few to chose from, money well spent imho. I think most guys start with an Echo Solo or 250 Stihl maybe a 192 Stihl but the 200t is the one to get, throttle response and power is great and that is what you want on bigger jobs when your up a tree.

Strictly speaking top Handel saws. Ran a 192tc for years. It works with a 12-14" bar. The guy that taught me to climb had a 200t of his own and his work supplied 193t and eventually switched to echo top handle saws. (Can't remember the model #.) I know he favored the 200t. I got to use it a few times and really liked it. Just couldn't justify the cost not being a pro climber/not using a top handle often enough. Still have the 192tc. I did pick up a basket case 200t last year. Yet to put it back together. @lone wolf may be able to confirm, oem parts are expensive and kinda hard to find some things. I'd be looking for a newer model if it was daily use.

Strictly speaking top Handel saws. Ran a 192tc for years. It works with a 12-14" bar. The guy that taught me to climb had a 200t of his own and his work supplied 193t and eventually switched to echo top handle saws. (Can't remember the model #.) I know he favored the 200t. I got to use it a few times and really liked it. Just couldn't justify the cost not being a pro climber/not using a top handle often enough. Still have the 192tc. I did pick up a basket case 200t last year. Yet to put it back together. @lone wolf may be able to confirm, oem parts are expensive and kinda hard to find some things. I'd be looking for a newer model if it was daily use.
An MS 150T with a timing advance and muffler mod is very nice aloft. Stock, you will hate it.

I bought a Homelite saw after they were defunct and owned Textron. It was a light saw, fake chain brake (was not real), and had a funny balance. I could one hand the saw, even though it was not technically a top handle saw. I ran that saw HARD for about 20 years, then locked it up on a hot August day sawing dead oak for a friend. I had not cleaned it well in well.. ever,,,, Melted the jug.

I had other better saws by then for heavier stuff. I own several acreages and deal with a lot of down trees, plus triming from a bucket. Too old to climb. We heat a lot with wood too.

So I bought a top handle MS 192. Lots of negativity on various sites. It is NOT for large stuff. After 10 years, it was not running well. Pain the posterior to work on, as it crambs too much into too little space. New impulse line fixed things.

I love it, but the year where it gave trouble makes me reluctant to recomend. I tend to one hand it while chopping small (4" and under) into kindling and firewood. Works really well for that.....

-Echo cs-360T w/ 14" .050" oregon bar, full chisel, muffler modded.
-Echo cs-355T with 14" .050" oregon and full chisel.
-Echo cs-271T w/ 12" .043 oregon bar and chain.
-Makita 18V, 12" .050 bar and chain
-Ryobi 40V top handle, Dead man switch removed, 14" .050" oregon bar and chain - do not use the small batteries.

I'm still "testing" the battery saws. Echo 360T & 355T for bigger work like removals. Echo 271T for smaller work like pruning. Makita for short pruning jobs. Ryobi will do what the 35cc saws will do - still testing the battery longevity and the durability of the saw in general.

-Echo cs-360T w/ 14" .050" oregon bar, full chisel, muffler modded.
-Echo cs-355T with 14" .050" oregon and full chisel.
-Echo cs-271T w/ 12" .043 oregon bar and chain.
-Makita 18V, 12" .050 bar and chain
-Ryobi 40V top handle, Dead man switch removed, 14" .050" oregon bar and chain - do not use the small batteries.

I'm still "testing" the battery saws. Echo 360T & 355T for bigger work like removals. Echo 271T for smaller work like pruning. Makita for short pruning jobs. Ryobi will do what the 35cc saws will do - still testing the battery longevity and the durability of the saw in general.
Seems like you’ve ran a lot of saws lol. Thank you for taking the time to write all that out, I’m gonna take a look at all those saws later when I’m of work.

Back