What saw to buy???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rileykid

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all, new to site. Just bought my first house and of course it has a wood stove. I just got done cutting 20 face cord of maple to heat through the winter. HAHA Used a Poulan 2150 16" to cut with. Need a bigger, badder, more reliable saw. Any suggestions???? Was looking at the Stihl MS290. However, was told about the odd/even series with Stihl. The odd series is the economy series I guess where as the even series is the nasty series. Please help, as I need a saw baddddddddddddd. Thanks Randy in NY

saw to buy

No, I need a saw I can rely on. Plan on spending the money and buying a real saw lol. I'm young (27), would like a saw that will last a while. Ya know? Any suggestions? WHat do you think of the MS290? Or should I spend the extra money and get the MS280CBQ?

Pretty sure I read a thread like this one before....

Anyhow,

for the sthil line up.

Pro saws include (not limited to... as I'm sure I'll miss some): 260, 361, 440, 441, 460, 660, 880.

Non-pro: 250, 270, 280, 290, 310, 390, 650.

The 270, and 280 have some of the pro features, but are not really pro saws... I have a 270 and like it. Others may disagree.

There are lots of saw makers.... Husky, Jonsered (pretty much the same), Dolmar, seem to be well liked around here. But there's lots of others....

Best advise... Use the search function do some homework. Also research who the dependable service guy is in you area....

Cheers,

Use the search function...it will keep you busy for days. I'd go w/ the best dealer in town and buy what he carries...he will be the easiest to deal w/ if you have any problems.

saw

Thanks alot. I just called my father in law and there is a shindaiwa dealer like 4 miles from my house. I grew up in the town I live in and never knew that dealer was there. I may buy both just for sh!ts and giggles. I dunno. Thanks for the help.

How much $$$ do you want to spend?
What size wood are you going to be cutting?

I think the stihl ms290 fits your needs. They are a decent saw. But hang around here and you will be buying a ms361 before you know it and thats not a bad idea either!!! Seriously if all you need is a good firewood saw then a ms290 would be fine for you.

Thanks alot. I just called my father in law and there is a shindaiwa dealer like 4 miles from my house. I grew up in the town I live in and never knew that dealer was there. I may buy both just for sh!ts and giggles. I dunno. Thanks for the help.

Let us know what you end up with and how you like it! Be sure and get some Personal Protection Equipment as well! eyes, ears and chaps!

Well good you found us. There will be some people here that will tell you that without the existance of the 361 the sun would refuse to rise & set, in addition to even the second comming of Jesus Christ himself would'nt beat one . If you can tell us more about the size of the wood & weather you plan on making ripping cuts then I'm sure we can direct you to a saw that wont constinatly be bogging in the cut. We'll also need to know what the maximum expenduture can be $ wise. :chainsaw:

saw

Well, the trees I'm cutting are as big as 20 inches across. My father in law mills the straight and bigger stuff. Mind I say, all the wood I cut is free! Looking to spend up to $500 on a saw. Seriously thinking about Stihl 26 or 28 and the Shindaiwa 488-490. Not to sure. Mainly cutting maple and oak. Cut pine trees every now and then just to get them out of our yards (don't burn pine). Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

I'll be the first to tell you the sun wouldn't set without a 361. It's the best saw to run with a 25" bar for power to weight ratio. The 260 doesn't have enough ass and the 440 weighs too much making the 361 a great option. Also the pro series have better internals and will last longer especially if you ever get into heavy cutting where you'll be running the saw for very long periods. I'll also second that you should buy chaps and eye protection.

The $ 500.00 price cap is going to be a real bottle neck getting you into something other than a limbing saw. Highly recommend checking out some of the the videos on YouTube so you can see for yourself exactually how the different saws perform . I think for what you"ll be asking the saw to do a 7900 Dolmar w 24"bar or Huskey 357xp,Stihl 460 is better suited. Amick's has a sale going on $ 100 off on the 7900. Maybe some one here can direct you to where the deals are back there.

Back