What saw to buy???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
new saw

Well,
I just bought a Shindaiwa 490 18" new. Case, 6 pk of 2 cycle mix, flat file, round file for total of $418.

We'll need a report on the 490

I've yet to lay hands on one, but if it runs anything like my 488's you should be happy. Others may make them faster and with more HP, but I really believe for the money you'd have hard time beating the reliability of the Shindaiwa's.

I've yet to own a new one and they've all been winners so far.

Good luck with the new one and fill us in on how she performs when you get a chance.

Hi All... I am new to this site and new to needing chainsaws and need all the help I can get in choosing something lightweight, longliving and general purpose that a female can handle without more than just the fear of dying. Living on a small 18acres with Gum trees, tea trees etc to maintain and chop firewood. Ive searched and researched that many that I am now just plain confused!!

I purchased a pathetic 4 in 1 combo package online that lasted about a minute and was an absolute waste of money (cheap & nasty Chinese plastic!! with oil coming out everywhere and parts falling off). Untimately it would be good to have a smallish saw for trimming up of small branches on trees (12 "?)....a general purpose for bigger limbs (not mine hopefully..egads!) (16"?....maybe 18"??) and one that is on a long pole (dont know anything about these).

Ive seen a Stihl 009 and a Stihl 031 going cheap on Ebay? And, have heard that Husqvarnas are good. Basically, I have no idea what brand/model would be the best to aim at getting. Any suggestions for a newbie NumbNut???

Numb Nut,

I would suggest a Husqvarna 346xp. It is a lightweight and powerful saw that a female can handle. It is a little on the higher side of cost, but it will last a long time. Let me know if I can help you out with anything else.

Hello all, new to site. Just bought my first house and of course it has a wood stove. I just got done cutting 20 face cord of maple to heat through the winter. HAHA Used a Poulan 2150 16" to cut with. Need a bigger, badder, more reliable saw. Any suggestions???? Was looking at the Stihl MS290. However, was told about the odd/even series with Stihl. The odd series is the economy series I guess where as the even series is the nasty series. Please help, as I need a saw baddddddddddddd. Thanks Randy in NY

Dolmar 510, or 5100. Best saw for the money you will find any where. (if you have a dealer near you) Stihl 361. More money but great saw.

:chainsawguy:

The 361 cures cancer and if you wake it up in the morning set out some warm mix it will come back home in a couple hours with 2 cords cut stacked
and all you have to do is wipe it down and pat it on the azz,LOL hard to
beat all the wise crackers here ,Good Luck the info here is the best.:givebeer:

Untimately it would be good to have a smallish saw for trimming up of small branches on trees (12 "?)....a general purpose for bigger limbs (not mine hopefully..egads!) (16"?....maybe 18"??) and one that is on a long pole (dont know anything about these).

An ms361 would do what you want and then some. i have one and love it...an ms260 would also fit the bill. if you don't want to spend as much as you would for a pro saw, how bout a husky 350 or 353? any of those would eat up the small limbs or the bigger ones. if you really want a smaller one for those little branches, maybe one of the top handles?

as for pole saws, stihl makes really nice ones but they're expensive. you can buy electric pole saws from lowes or home depot but i've already broken two of them without hard use. also, the pole is removable from some pole saws, and there you have your small saw.

hope this helps

Numbnut,
I was in a similar situation to you and was torn between a 026 and a 390.
I had used a 290 before and got to side by side the 260 and the 290. My fear was the 026 wasn't going to be man enough for my needs. Well I bought the -026 and really like it. It feels like a high powered 6 cyl japanese car as opposed to the 290 feeling like a 8 cyl american muscle car of the same HP.
both are fun but one wears you out faster. I won't part with my 026 until a 361 comes knocking on my door. then I will have another problem...
thanks all you guys who said the 260 was a better saw.
angelo

Back