What Tachometers are you guys using?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one of these and it works great. I set the idle and max speed with it. I can tune by ear but this is a lot better than the ears. I like to warm the saw up a couple minutes and then set the carburetor. Some people can tune a piano by ear, but the little electronic devise is much better. I have had a couple different ones, but this one is the best as the refresher rate is very fast. If you work on a lot of chainsaws this one is the cats meow and no wires are needed.

https://www.amickssuperstore.com/DTI_2_Cycle_Two_Stroke_Hand_Held_Tachometer_p/dti tech-tach tt-20k tach.htm

s-l1600.jpg

dti-tt20k-1.jpg

I have one of these and it works great. I set the idle and max speed with it. I can tune by ear but this is a lot better than the ears. I like to warm the saw up a couple minutes and then set the carburetor. Some people can tune a piano by ear, but the little electronic devise is much better. I have had a couple different ones, but this one is the best as the refresher rate is very fast. If you work on a lot of chainsaws this one is the cats meow and no wires are needed.

https://www.amickssuperstore.com/DTI_2_Cycle_Two_Stroke_Hand_Held_Tachometer_p/dti tech-tach tt-20k tach.htm

s-l1600.jpg

dti-tt20k-1.jpg

I think this is actually the one I have. You can hold it and the front handgrip of the saw at the same time.

I too am unable to tune by ear; always setting it too rich.

My EDT9 came today. Anyone else use these? My old Chinese tach you have to guess through the settings until you get it right lol

20181024_164806-576x1024.jpg

PET-2500. Have it from tuning race motors. WAY overpriced for chainsaw use, but it's waterproof and floats.....:)!

I use Stihl EDT 9 - inductive tach, updates at 1.5 seconds and is extremely reliable. As a dealer employed mech I also have used the MDG 1 which is like an uber tach, but set up is a lot more time consuming so I don't use it often.

Wow the stihl EDT 9 is $100.00?!?

Hardline is essentially the same product.
632ab9a09f100f725327d35b60f5731a.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

s-l1600.jpg

dti-tt20k-1.jpg
That's the one I have and that's where I got it. Works great what little I have used it.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Wow the stihl EDT 9 is $100.00?!?

Hardline is essentially the same product.
632ab9a09f100f725327d35b60f5731a.png

That's the one I have. Doesn't work for ****. Didn't even have directions.

Mine works great. The directions are in the center of the the insert in the package.

I'm guessing mines fake. Seriously no directions and it reads either 5k or 19k

I have one that I bought 10 years ago and have not used it but once in the last five or six years. That was on a MS 251. I thought it was running to fast, checked it with the tack and it was about 12,500 RPM. The manual said max was 13,000. I have been tuning by ear for a long time and never had any problems. Tom

Latest posts

Back