Which Bar and Chain For My Stihl MS310

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gopackgo

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I bought a used MS310. It is in pretty good shape but the bar needs to be replaced. So, I figured I would get another chain for it at the same time.

Right now, this is my everything saw until I get my little Stihl 017 running.

So, what bar and chain would you guys recommend?

Thanks!

20" Total Super Bar and a 33RS72 Stihl Chain. PM Spike60 for a great price on the bar (he will probably have to order it though since he is a Husqvarna/Jonsered dealer, not a Stihl dealer) and your local Stihl dealer should have loops pre-cut.

Joe

I've found some good deals on eBay for Stihl bars and chains. Check out dealer Great Brands.

I bought a used MS310. It is in pretty good shape but the bar needs to be replaced. So, I figured I would get another chain for it at the same time.

Thanks!

I would not think about a recommendation without first knowing what wood you will be mostly cutting and what is typical diameter of it.

The 310 comes with either a .325 or 3/8 sprocket. (I've seen both) If you're changing the sprocket, then you have both options available. I was using a saw of that series today with a 20" .325 bar. My recommendation would be an 18" bar in 3/8 or a 20" in .325. A 3/8 bar in 20" is marginal for that 59cc saw. A muffler mod helps a lot for this 1127 family of saws.j
In Stihl bars, typically the .325 pitch are .063 gauge and the 3/8" are .050 gauge. (there are exceptions). If you don't buy a "combo" then buy the bar first so you can get the right chain for it.

Thanks!
Don't use a county line 18in bar and chain combo from tractor supply. It works but it jams up alot and you have to push the chain manually from time to time to get it to move then I makes the clicking sound and some sparks can be seen from time to time. Just learned this. Thought I would let people know if they didn't cause now you do. I also tried 6 different chains at first before just. Finding a blade that would fit it. It fit but didn't function that great after 3 cuts through a 22in diameter green cotton wood log. It cut great at first besides the constantly jamming at first but got better but would get tight and then would get loose and whatnot and then chain not moving and then having to push the chain manually on the wood to be able to get it to start to move and then the first couple cuts went great it went through like butter with a lot of clicking sounds and periodically seeing a spark every now and again coming off the blade but by the time I got to the 4th cut it could barely even cut because it doled so bad already and I think the Sparks that I was seeing had something to do with that lol passing on the information

Back