Which file guide?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The granberg will hold any round file perfectly...they say you can do rakers to, but you can easily do those by hand....

I told a buddy to get one that was having a hard time filing...he is ham fisted, so to say....he still uses it with good results, and hasn't broke it yet.....

First file guide I bought was a oregon clamp on the saw bar, granberg type. I hated it as it just didnt slide well on the guide rods. Keeping oil on it didnt help. I found it in the bottom of a box of other junk just the other day and threw it in the trash. I bought one of those cheap HF grinders, but they dont grind chisel chains with the 10*up angle. I gave it away and bought one of the NTool, yellow oregon clone grinders. It took a little fignigling to get it adjusted, but once set, it makes a rocked chain look like new. Worked really good if you have 20 or 30 24in chains to sharpen at one time. I gave it away just a few weeks ago to my stump grinding buddy simply because I got tired of grinding all his chains. I have hand filed for years in the woods. No guides or stump vises, just throw the saw up on a stump or the back of the pickup and huddle over top of the saw and file away. I did buy one of those sthil double file systems and really like it a lot. Keep it in the side door of the pickup. I keep a 20in bar and 3/8 chain on all of my saws and would keep several grinder sharpened chains in the truck when I head to the woods, just so if I dulled a chain, I could swap saws or chains and not fool with dragging out a file. I guess that now that I gave the grinder away, I will just used the sthil file system and sharpen as needed. I dont cut lots of wood anymore so when I do go to cut, its usually just one or maybe two small trees and I own enough saws You would think I would have at least one that is sharp. I reality, I think every saw I own now has a dull chain on it. I might should head down to my buddy and borrow my grinder back.

First file guide I bought was a oregon clamp on the saw bar, granberg type. I hated it as it just didnt slide well on the guide rods. Keeping oil on it didnt help. I found it in the bottom of a box of other junk just the other day and threw it in the trash. I bought one of those cheap HF grinders, but they dont grind chisel chains with the 10*up angle. I gave it away and bought one of the NTool, yellow oregon clone grinders. It took a little fignigling to get it adjusted, but once set, it makes a rocked chain look like new. Worked really good if you have 20 or 30 24in chains to sharpen at one time. I gave it away just a few weeks ago to my stump grinding buddy simply because I got tired of grinding all his chains. I have hand filed for years in the woods. No guides or stump vises, just throw the saw up on a stump or the back of the pickup and huddle over top of the saw and file away. I did buy one of those sthil double file systems and really like it a lot. Keep it in the side door of the pickup. I keep a 20in bar and 3/8 chain on all of my saws and would keep several grinder sharpened chains in the truck when I head to the woods, just so if I dulled a chain, I could swap saws or chains and not fool with dragging out a file. I guess that now that I gave the grinder away, I will just used the sthil file system and sharpen as needed. I dont cut lots of wood anymore so when I do go to cut, its usually just one or maybe two small trees and I own enough saws You would think I would have at least one that is sharp. I reality, I think every saw I own now has a dull chain on it. I might should head down to my buddy and borrow my grinder back.
Better yet, since you used to grind his chains, take all yours off and give them to him, see how good of a friend he is!!!!!

Back