wood dust in the carb hard on the saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my experience sawdust fines ain't worth worrying about but I run a good oil and plenty of it.
I would not recommend doing what I do for guy's running an under performing oil at 40:1/ 50:1.
Now if we are talking dirt that will destroy any engine in short order and is a completely different subject. I clean my mx bikes filters often any dirt/dust will destroy them fast.
I get your not concerned with sucking fines and dirt. Don't kid your self you are sucking some dirt along with that saw dust.
You haven't stumbled on to some magic oil or oil ratio that prevents damage and your pics bare this out.
But by all means you do you.

Fines assist combustion on my old Stihl Ms341, it runs great on a 50/2/1 mix (has done professionally for the past five or six years!) I think the saw design techs should design a saw that runs on fines only, what an environmental gamechanger that would be! 😊👍
They already make em lol

wod4 029.JPGwod4 039.JPGwod4 035.JPG20220404_145533.jpg

Well, I doubt anybody thinks that fine wood dust is good for a saw. But, work on a few, or a bunch actually, of concrete saws and you will see the difference.
Concrete saws operating environment is punishing, the operators typicaly aren't the sharpest and they see about zero maintenance. Just my observation.

My 385xp with OEM felt filters seems to let little to nothing into the carb via air.

My 3120 with the OEM felt filter never sealed right. Especially milling as it creates loads of fines. I switched it to an oiled foam filter and its way better. But still lets a tiny bit in.

My smurf 7901 and my mutt of a saw that is a husky 346/jred both have a plastic mesh/screen filter and i never see ANY fines getting past them. They do amazingly well.

Personally i think fines in the combustible chamber probably dont hurt lubrication much as the P&C and crank case are covered in copious amounts of mix fuel.

But i can see the fines contributing to carbon buildup more than anything. I see fines in the fuel hurting the carb more than anything

Just my personal opinion

Soooo...
Lemme see if I got this right....

"Fines" burn up in the combustion chamber... After having squeaked past the air filter.

The question seems to be .. Are they harmful or not?

Am I the only one to think that there are more than one "breed" of Fines?

Oak Fines
Maple Fines
Walnut Fines
Pine Fines
Spruce Fines ( both regular and extra sappy )

My point being that all Fines are not created equal..

I would think that the differences in their makeup, would impact their effect on an engine.

Oak fines.. higher or lower as to effective Octane rating?

Can anyone figure out how they rate as additional (richer) fuel mix ...based on Grams of fines per 100 ML of fuel burned.

Pine Fines.. More or less Carbon per gram than other Softwoods?

Does a Stihl MTronic carb automatically adjust for Fines?

Soooo...
Lemme see if I got this right....

"Fines" burn up in the combustion chamber... After having squeaked past the air filter.

The question seems to be .. Are they harmful or not?

Am I the only one to think that there are more than one "breed" of Fines?

Oak Fines
Maple Fines
Walnut Fines
Pine Fines
Spruce Fines ( both regular and extra sappy )

My point being that all Fines are not created equal..

I would think that the differences in their makeup, would impact their effect on an engine.

Oak fines.. higher or lower as to effective Octane rating?

Can anyone figure out how they rate as additional (richer) fuel mix ...based on Grams of fines per 100 ML of fuel burned.

Pine Fines.. More or less Carbon per gram than other Softwoods?

Does a Stihl MTronic carb automatically adjust for Fines?
Brilliant! 😂 personally I enjoy cutting pines for fines as you just can't beat that pine fresh aroma from the muffler....🌲

So for an engine that actually DOES have to keep out the fines, what kind of special filter do they use?

They are supposed to hook a water line to the attachment that squirts water on to the blade. If not available many use a pump up sprayer and spray water on the blade to keep the dust down.
I suspect as often as not they use nothing. The filter has an inner flat liner and an accordion shaped paper filter. Instructions say not to try and clean it, but replace the filter when the saw starts to lose power.
If you examine a concrete dust blasted piston it looks completely different from scoring.

They are supposed to hook a water line to the attachment that squirts water on to the blade. If not available many use a pump up sprayer and spray water on the blade to keep the dust down.
I suspect as often as not they use nothing. The filter has an inner flat liner and an accordion shaped paper filter. Instructions say not to try and clean it, but replace the filter when the saw starts to lose power.
If you examine a concrete dust blasted piston it looks completely different from scoring.
Whilst I agree in general terms- blade suppliers for these machines offer "dry cut" diamond blades for concrete that do not require water- which is more for blade cooling as so much keep the dust down.

Well, I doubt anybody thinks that fine wood dust is good for a saw. But, work on a few, or a bunch actually, of concrete saws and you will see the difference.
Maybe "concrete fines" needs it's own thread?

And categories....

1) Cutting 2,000 PSI concrete fines.
2) Cutting 3500 PSI concrete fines.
3) Cutting fibre re-enforced concrete fines.
4) Cutting any concrete, and getting a bit of re-bar fines.

Just saying...

Whilst I agree in general terms- blade suppliers for these machines offer "dry cut" diamond blades for concrete that do not require water- which is more for blade cooling as so much keep the dust down.
The last one I rebuilt a few weeks ago the piston was OK, but the crank bearings were rusted crusty.
I had originally thought that it was laying wrong in the back of the truck and got rain water in it.
But, who knows. The filter was wet with water.

Most annoying saws to have working near you, huge cloud of dust, REALLY loud and if they are cutting bricks, spend most of the time running on the rev limiter.

Latest posts

Back