wood dust in the carb hard on the saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Australian made Atom chainsaw best saw I've ever owned made for Australians that don't like cleaning air filters.. it does it all for ya self cleaning! I wish these new machines came with ahead of its time innovation like the old Atoms! 😉 😆

View attachment 1200261
Air from the flywheel blow it off? Just looking at its location compared to the flywheel.

It's actually cotton gauze. The flow good, but don't filter all that well.
Proprietary cotten fiber blend ( polyester & cotton ) main filter media with a secondary fine polyester prefilter sleeve for severe service usage dirt bikes , atv/utv , dune buggies etc . The Austrialian Unifilters use a dual polyester foam system . The secondary or prefilter sleeve is pretreated with their proprietary oil . I usuaĺly just buy Maxima oil filter treatment , which comes with the filter cleaner & oil treatment . I agree the old K&N single stage filters were not as efficient in dirt intrusion protection , however their new system allows sufficient air flow & maximium filtration , only surpassed by Unifilters in my opinion in the last 2-3 years !

I don't believe the fines actually contact the piston and thus remain airborne and combusted, if they were attaching to the piston skirt then surely the carb venturi and intake stub would both be caked in it?

Or let's use those oil bath filters like they use on tractors...
Those actually work good.
I'd like to meet the engineer that designs one for a chainsaw.

My friend built an anti gravity machine. But, he can't find it.

Are you nuts? Sucking fines all day doesn't hurt a thing!
Are ya eyes painted on or something? I've put up pics of saws that have ingested huge amounts of sawdust fines with jackall if any sawdust induced damage like alarmists as yourself would have us believe.
Now if you have little faith in the ratio and quality of oil you run then yes I agree clean ya filter it's that simple.

a bit of cork gasket and a O ring

I just use a shmear of grease on the filter where it contacts the saw housing.

Then again, I don't pull the filter off and beat it on a log every 5 minutes. (Not sure when the last time I cleaned the filter is, TBH. Last year?) No fines, and no Collapse of the Universeâ„  because I didn't beat the crap out of the filter 50X per day.

People act as though these things were F1 car engines, FFS.:wtf:
"Gotta clean the air filter PANT PANT the Flux Capacitor needs regapped! Only getting 987 bhp 26k rpms PANT PANT"
"ZOMG I got NINETEEN MICROGRAMS OF WOOD DUST in teh engine...time for another full rebuild!" :dizzy:
It feels like a bunch of 12-year-olds talking about putting bigger carbs, blowers and N2O onto their push mowers.
csm.gif

Are ya eyes painted on or something? I've put up pics of saws that have ingested huge amounts of sawdust fines with jackall if any sawdust induced damage like alarmists as yourself would have us believe.
Now if you have little faith in the ratio and quality of oil you run then yes I agree clean ya filter it's that simple.
In the first place I am not an alarmist. I just don't think sucking wood dust and associated dirt through a motor is a good thing. Second oil ratio and type doesn't compensate for or protect against sucking wood dust and associated dirt through your motor.

I just use a shmear of grease on the filter where it contacts the saw housing.

Then again, I don't pull the filter off and beat it on a log every 5 minutes. (Not sure when the last time I cleaned the filter is, TBH. Last year?) No fines, and no Collapse of the Universeâ„  because I didn't beat the crap out of the filter 50X per day.

People act as though these things were F1 car engines, FFS.:wtf:
"Gotta clean the air filter PANT PANT the Flux Capacitor needs regapped! Only getting 987 bhp 26k rpms PANT PANT"
"ZOMG I got NINETEEN MICROGRAMS OF FINES in teh engine...time for another full rebuild!"
csm.gif
:dizzy:
I only clean my filters when the look nasty, but we'll before they begin to suck dust and dirt past the seal.
It's not something to obsess about, but rather be mindful about.

But just think how long they might have lasted, without ingesting junk !

But just think how long they might have lasted, without ingesting junk !
All them saws are still running perfectly fine today. The 2 ms661 are still doing commercial firewood on a daily basis, one is 1st coil so must be almost a decade old now. I pulled the cylinders in 2022 just for a look so they been running for two more years since then.
I pulled the cylinder off the early ms880 in 2020 and it's still running fine today.
I'm not sure how long saws are meant to last but over a decade or more in harsh working conditions seems more than acceptable.

Apparently some guy's are putting in piston/rings in two year old saws I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong everything apparently lol

In the first place I am not an alarmist. I just don't think sucking wood dust and associated dirt through a motor is a good thing. Second oil ratio and type doesn't compensate for or protect against sucking wood dust and associated dirt through your motor.
In my experience sawdust fines ain't worth worrying about but I run a good oil and plenty of it.
I would not recommend doing what I do for guy's running an under performing oil at 40:1/ 50:1.
Now if we are talking dirt that will destroy any engine in short order and is a completely different subject. I clean my mx bikes filters often any dirt/dust will destroy them fast.

Consider checking your air filter regularly to prevent dust accumulation in the cylinder. While some fine particles may burn off during operation, larger particles can lead to increased wear and tear, potentially shortening the lifespan of your saw.

For better performance, ensure your saw is properly maintained and use a high-quality air filter to minimize leakage and protect the engine.

Latest posts

Back