wood dust in the carb hard on the saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not denying that fact- but this is not a low hour low use piston and I willing to wager honest work wear in this instance far and away exceeds any fines wear.
I realise that, but let a saw suck fines like that is just stupid. It only takes a few minutes to clean your air filter.

Yeah, and I'm thinking -- considering how many hours of runtime it probably took to get that little bit of wear on the skirt -- that replacing a piston after all those hours would add an additional cost of about 1/2 of 1% of the cost of fuel and oil used in the same time frame...griping about having to replace a piston after 10k hours is like griping that your Bic lighter went dry after "only" 100 cartons of Marlboros. :laugh: How many sets of lungs did you go through in the same time?
Those don't have 10k hours on them...
And its more than a little bit of wear.

Never seen a chainsaw piston make 10K hours myself! Maybe @rogue60 can give an estimate of hours- I'm pretty sure I said a couple- that equates to two- if a saw piston makes it much past 2K hours run time, the skirt is in danger of fracturing a chunk out and getting ugly.
Like I said on my first post- some saws filter better than others, some filters filter better- but if you want to buy a ticket and go cut some of the stuff this guy cuts- you can test it out and report back. That saw is being used in what might be considered as extreme circumstances- the dust off that Aussie shite is like cutting sooted up post forest fire clean up.

I'm exaggerating when I say 10k hrs, obviously. You don't get 10k hrs out of a 350 chevy...

I realise that, but let a saw suck fines like that is just stupid. It only takes a few minutes to clean your air filter.

I suspect that cleaning the filter often ends up allowing more fines in, especially when the method of cleaning is "beat the snot out of it on a log" or "blast the sh!t out of it with 150psi air." A plugged filter filters better.

Never seen a chainsaw piston make 10K hours myself! Maybe @rogue60 can give an estimate of hours- I'm pretty sure I said a couple- that equates to two- if a saw piston makes it much past 2K hours run time, the skirt is in danger of fracturing a chunk out and getting ugly.
Like I said on my first post- some saws filter better than others, some filters filter better- but if you want to buy a ticket and go cut some of the stuff this guy cuts- you can test it out and report back. That saw is being used in what might be considered as extreme circumstances- the dust off that Aussie shite is like cutting sooted up post forest fire clean up.
I cut alot of standing dead burnt timber. My saws are taken care of such that sucking dust doesn't happen.

I suspect that cleaning the filter often ends up allowing more fines in, especially when the method of cleaning is "beat the snot out of it on a log" or "blast the sh!t out of it with 150psi air." A plugged filter filters better.
A plugged filter does not filter better.. it causes the problem you see with rogue's saws.

A plugged filter does not filter better.. it causes the problem you see with rogue's saws.
Up to a point, the more "clogged" it gets, the finer the particles it stops.

You hear some people rave about those K&N metal screen filters because they're easy to clean. The reason they're easy to clean -- and why they're fairly worthless -- is because the mesh is so big that it doesn't stop anything smaller than armor stone, at least until it's fairly plugged. Until then, it's like using chicken wire or expanded metal as an air filter. Why bother?

k&n filters have a oiled cotton( may be synthetic at this point) media between the metal. Not great for a Mass airflow sensor, but good filtration otherwise. Foam filters work off much the same principal for filtration. Both used extensively in harsh environments. The oil does as much work as the media holding it.

Generally I tap a filter out every tank of fuel or pushing it two.
I think that wear seen is totally acceptable for such high hr saws it looks like run time wear any fines damage is debatable wheres all the scoring and worn through plating guys blame fines on? And them saws still have plenty of life left in them.
Are you saying if I cleaned my filters and keep it spotlessly clean never letting fines through there would be no wear in conservative 2k hr saws? So potentially if I kept the sawdust fines out my saws they would last for a millennium of hard use? this is good to know 👍

I laugh when guys say they get one or two seasons out of a saw and it's toast with worn through plating and thin cracked piston skirts and that's even with spotless air filters 😆

Personally I believe sawdust fines do not lower a saws working life it's lack of oil or an oil perceived as a good oil by the operator is actually crap.

But like I said if someone worries and obsesses over fines getting through keep it all spotlessly clean and sleep well at night the mind is a powerful thing.

So in summarie I do everything wrong in regards to saw maintenance yet they seem to keep going and going forever go figure..
And guy B does everything correctly regarding maintenance constantly cleaning keeping filters spotlessly clean yet saw is toast in a year or two go figure 🤔

Generally I tap a filter out every tank of fuel or pushing it two.
I think that wear seen is totally acceptable for such high hr saws it looks like run time wear any fines damage is debatable wheres all the scoring and worn through plating guys blame fines on? And them saws still have plenty of life left in them.
Are you saying if I cleaned my filters and keep it spotlessly clean never letting fines through there would be no wear in conservative 2k hr saws? So potentially if I kept the sawdust fines out my saws they would last for a millennium of hard use? this is good to know 👍

I laugh when guys say they get one or two seasons out of a saw and it's toast with worn through plating and thin cracked piston skirts and that's even with spotless air filters 😆

Personally I believe sawdust fines do not lower a saws working life it's lack of oil or an oil perceived as a good oil by the operator is actually crap.

But like I said if someone worries and obsesses over fines getting through keep it all spotlessly clean and sleep well at night the mind is a powerful thing.
No, I am saying you would have less wear.
Loggers run a saw 1-2 seasons because they start to lose a bit of power and they start nickle and diming you.
It's just easier to relegate one to a spare and buy new. Saws are also much cheaper here.

So in summarie I do everything wrong in regards to saw maintenance yet they seem to keep going and going forever go figure..
And guy B does everything correctly regarding maintenance constantly cleaning keeping filters spotlessly clean yet saw is toast in a year or two go figure 🤔
Those 1 and 2 year old logger saws typicaly get sold to firewood guys who use them for years after.

Up to a point, the more "clogged" it gets, the finer the particles it stops.

You hear some people rave about those K&N metal screen filters because they're easy to clean. The reason they're easy to clean -- and why they're fairly worthless -- is because the mesh is so big that it doesn't stop anything smaller than armor stone, at least until it's fairly plugged. Until then, it's like using chicken wire or expanded metal as an air filter. Why bother?
I agree with you that K&N filters suck. But they are cotton gauze covered in mesh. They do flow well, but the filter efficiency stinks.
What your not considering is that as the filter plugs the vacuum on the clean side increases, which sucks fines around the sealing surfaces.

No, I am saying you would have less wear.
Loggers run a saw 1-2 seasons because they start to lose a bit of power and they start nickle and diming you.
It's just easier to relegate one to a spare and buy new. Saws are also much cheaper here.
Yeah I know how it works was born into it.
Never in my years 50years have I heard anyone say Stihl 066/ms660/ms661 or 88's nickel and dime ya although i have heard that applied to husky pro saws. I brought a new 3120 years ago the muffler vibrated and fell off within a week or two. never had a Stihl do that lol

For example those above saws I posted the ms661's have each had a solenoid, ones had a clutch drum and a couple of starter pawls and both a couple plugs each that's about it outside of normal consumable wear items like rims chains and bars. That early ms880 with cast muffler I believe has only had one clutch drum few plugs everything else is original apart from as above rims chains bars.. And all above saws have paid for themselves a thousand times over.
About the only thing you need to keep an eye on with the above saws is not letting the bolts for the dog's come loose or they will wallow out the bolt holes in the cover and case.

Not sure how that could be classed as nickel and dime ya.

I recently rebuilt a 461 that had quite bad scoring on the intake side due to poor filtration, the ingested dirt and wood fibers wiped off the oil film and scored the intake, the exhaust side looked fine.
Was run hard on a mill.

pics

Exhaust side
rsexhaustpistonclose.jpg

Jug intake
rsintakejugscore.jpg

Intake side
rsintakepistonclose.jpgrspistonintake.jpg

Intake skirt was so thin, it was near to cracking, the piston slap was louder than the exhaust :).

I recently rebuilt a 461 that had quite bad scoring on the intake side due to poor filtration, the ingested dirt and wood fibers wiped off the oil film and scored the intake, the exhaust side looked fine.
Was run hard on a mill.

pics

Exhaust side
View attachment 1199547

Jug intake
View attachment 1199548

Intake side
View attachment 1199549View attachment 1199550

Intake skirt was so thin, it was near to cracking, the piston slap was louder than the exhaust :).
So technically an oil problem.. specifically lack of for the job at hand.

yeah, bit of both, with large amounts of dust entering via the carb, it wipes away the oil film, and galling is the result.
Exhaust looked ok re oil amount, but the ingestion and wiping away of the mix caused the issue.

yeah, bit of both, with large amounts of dust entering via the carb, it wipes away the oil film, and galling is the result.
Exhaust looked ok re oil amount, but the ingestion and wiping away of the mix caused the issue.
You would have to feed handfuls of sawdust into my saws to wipe the oil film off but then I don't run 50:1 or crap oil lol

You can tell that 461 has been shown no mercy the piston rock must of been bad even the lower exhaust side skirt is worn normal only seen on the load side.
Do you know what oil and ratio he ran?

Back