wood dust in the carb hard on the saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Intake side
883785-5c6cfe01e30dd1d6c648e19ab904c0a7.data

To get that much scuffing/scoring on the skirt, I would have thought you'd need to be feeding in the sawdust with a snow shovel...but you're saying it actually had an air filter in place?

You would have to feed handfuls of sawdust into my saws to wipe the oil film off but then I don't run 50:1 or crap oil lol

You can tell that 461 has been shown no mercy the piston rock must of been bad even the lower exhaust side skirt is worn normal only seen on the load side.
Do you know what oil and ratio he ran?
Yeah agree, no idea re ratio, most likely 50:1 but just guessing, either way, excess bypassing the filter is not good.

I agree, I think it is all fuss over nothing, imagine how much fines we inhale.....
That and inhaling petroleum fumes. Like all engine related message boards, what gets people and equipment is rarely all the things fussed about. "Fines' is at the top of the list.

Yeah I know how it works was born into it.
Never in my years 50years have I heard anyone say Stihl 066/ms660/ms661 or 88's nickel and dime ya although i have heard that applied to husky pro saws. I brought a new 3120 years ago the muffler vibrated and fell off within a week or two. never had a Stihl do that lol

For example those above saws I posted the ms661's have each had a solenoid, ones had a clutch drum and a couple of starter pawls and both a couple plugs each that's about it outside of normal consumable wear items like rims chains and bars. That early ms880 with cast muffler I believe has only had one clutch drum few plugs everything else is original apart from as above rims chains bars.. And all above saws have paid for themselves a thousand times over.
About the only thing you need to keep an eye on with the above saws is not letting the bolts for the dog's come loose or they will wallow out the bolt holes in the cover and case.

Not sure how that could be classed as nickel and dime ya.

Don't know that I work on any logger saws, but some of the big tree service guys bring them in five at a time.
One of the good old boys ran a MS500I with the drum bearing out until it ruined the case half.
Another was a MS201TC that vibrated the 4 mm screws out that hold the module and the flywheel ate the steel laminations level with the plastic of the module. Re tapped it to 10-32 and runs fine.
So, at least those guys keep on fixing them until there is nothing left.

And, I have never seen much sign that they clean anything.

Another high hr well used abused saw ingesting sawdust fines.
I'm failing to see any major damage caused by fines getting through?
But sure if fines worry you keep it spotlessly clean and sleep well at night.
Personally I ignore fines and just get on with it lol

View attachment 1198561View attachment 1198562View attachment 1198563View attachment 1198564
You ever try those air filter Sean has over there in Aussie? Might want to look into his products. https://builtbysean.com/

Yeah I know how it works was born into it.
Never in my years 50years have I heard anyone say Stihl 066/ms660/ms661 or 88's nickel and dime ya although i have heard that applied to husky pro saws. I brought a new 3120 years ago the muffler vibrated and fell off within a week or two. never had a Stihl do that lol

For example those above saws I posted the ms661's have each had a solenoid, ones had a clutch drum and a couple of starter pawls and both a couple plugs each that's about it outside of normal consumable wear items like rims chains and bars. That early ms880 with cast muffler I believe has only had one clutch drum few plugs everything else is original apart from as above rims chains bars.. And all above saws have paid for themselves a thousand times over.
About the only thing you need to keep an eye on with the above saws is not letting the bolts for the dog's come loose or they will wallow out the bolt holes in the cover and case.

Not sure how that could be classed as nickel and dime ya.
I've pulled compression tests pretty often on my logging buddies saws after he's done with them, usually they are down around 110-120 psi. Pretty noticeable the lost power in the cut. Toss a set of rings in them and they will go for a long time yet, but not worth it financially. The saw has fulky depreciated and the new saw is a write off. Those guys are pure hell on saws too. Usually they are running 70cc saws as well. The 90cc saws tend to hold up a lot better, but arnt frequently in use. Heck he usually borrows my 390xp when he gets into timber that needs a longer bar. Actually takes better care of it then I do when he has it. Usually complains that I run 40 to 1 vs him running 50 to 1.
Few landscapers saws I keep after have more issues from dropping them out of trees and the ground crew running them over with trucks and equipment then the saws wearing out, again they are usually timed out before they wear out. One of my buddies that works for asphludh. They rotates their top handles out every 4-5 years. Saws are cosmetically beat to hell, but usually run just fine. How I got my 192tc. Looked like crap, muffler falling off but it's been running more or less fine for a lot of years since. Just doesn't make sense for a lot of these guys to pay me (or an actual dealer) to fix them up after a coupple years of service.

I've pulled compression tests pretty often on my logging buddies saws after he's done with them, usually they are down around 110-120 psi. Pretty noticeable the lost power in the cut. Toss a set of rings in them and they will go for a long time yet, but not worth it financially. The saw has fulky depreciated and the new saw is a write off. Those guys are pure hell on saws too. Usually they are running 70cc saws as well. The 90cc saws tend to hold up a lot better, but arnt frequently in use. Heck he usually borrows my 390xp when he gets into timber that needs a longer bar. Actually takes better care of it then I do when he has it. Usually complains that I run 40 to 1 vs him running 50 to 1.
Few landscapers saws I keep after have more issues from dropping them out of trees and the ground crew running them over with trucks and equipment then the saws wearing out, again they are usually timed out before they wear out. One of my buddies that works for asphludh. They rotates their top handles out every 4-5 years. Saws are cosmetically beat to hell, but usually run just fine. How I got my 192tc. Looked like crap, muffler falling off but it's been running more or less fine for a lot of years since. Just doesn't make sense for a lot of these guys to pay me (or an actual dealer) to fix them up after a coupple years of service.
We used to make 35-40k a week if a saw is not performing just buy a new one is work to be done ya can't be stuffing around with a junk saws. When a saws life is up just throw em in the parts bin but I will say it takes a bloody lot of hrs to get to that point.
We used to work on our own saws why anyone would pay someone to work on something as simple as an industrial engine chainsaw bets me?.

We used to make 35-40k a week if a saw is not performing just buy a new one is work to be done ya can't be stuffing around with a junk saws. When a saws life is up just throw em in the parts bin but I will say it takes a bloody lot of hrs to get to that point.
We used to work on our own saws why anyone would pay someone to work on something as simple as an industrial engine chainsaw bets me?.
I work on a lot of his equipment. His time is better spent in the woods, and he doesn't give me crap if it takes a few weeks to get around to fixing a spare saw. Just a side gig for me, and we end up bartering anyway. I fix his skidder, truck, saws, lawn mower whatever he needs. Usually I get a load of mill rejects to heat the place with. Last year he got a bunch of 5/4 oak milled up and dropped it off, this summer he got me all the heavy beans for the shop. It all works out for us. One hand washes the other.

I work on a lot of his equipment. His time is better spent in the woods, and he doesn't give me crap if it takes a few weeks to get around to fixing a spare saw. Just a side gig for me, and we end up bartering anyway. I fix his skidder, truck, saws, lawn mower whatever he needs. Usually I get a load of mill rejects to heat the place with. Last year he got a bunch of 5/4 oak milled up and dropped it off, this summer he got me all the heavy beans for the shop. It all works out for us. One hand washes the other.
I see ya point. I'd never wast my time rebuilding a worn out saw was always to busy for that and with the cost of Stihl parts why bother just buy a new saw, but replacing parts here and there is no big deal.

This is what I'd call a worn out saw. Over a decade of hard use it's a small oil tank 066.
God only knows how many hrs it has but the bloody thing would just keep going and going it refused to blow up lol Sure it was a little down on power but not to the point you would say unusable.
All our saw would get decreased and hit with a gerni couple times a year and believe it or not hit with air occasionally. Doesn't take a saw long to get filthy if under constant use.

But still no worn through plating after all the abuse and fines it's ingested. Yeah piston and rings are worn out and so it should be with the amount of hrs it's done.

2 (1).JPG3 (3).JPG045.JPG3 (1).JPG

This is what I'd call a worn out saw. Over a decade of hard use it's a small oil tank 066.
God only knows how many hrs it has but the bloody thing would just keep going and going it refused to blow up lol Sure it was a little down on power but not to the point you would say unusable.
All our saw would get decreased and hit with a gerni couple times a year and believe it or not hit with air occasionally. Doesn't take a saw long to get filthy if under constant use.

But still no worn through plating after all the abuse and fines it's ingested. Yeah piston and rings are worn out and so it should be with the amount of hrs it's done.

View attachment 1199619View attachment 1199620View attachment 1199621View attachment 1199622
The plating is very hard and will wear out several or more pistons before it wears through.
If you are cool with your saws sucking dirt and sawdust all day you do you.

I see ya point. I'd never wast my time rebuilding a worn out saw was always to busy for that and with the cost of Stihl parts why bother just buy a new saw, but replacing parts here and there is no big deal.
This is exactly why loggers spin their saws after a season or so. It's not because they are completely shot.
I re ringed one of my old ported 372xp falling saws and my friend has been using it for firewood ever since. I think I gave him that saw back in 2005.

Back