wood dust in the carb hard on the saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Except that statement i made in regards to viscosity and film strength was made with caveats and under certain conditions. You conveniently gloss over that because you're an autistic weirdo and it doesn't match with what the college course you took 40 some years ago said. In short you lack any sort of critical thinking skills beyond what a book tells you. And that's why your an old fart that's still designing poop stirring devices.
And no **** an EP oil works best in a EP application.
Let me try one more time. Film strength is a fluid property. It is not dependent on hydrodynamic conditions. Film thickness, on the other hand, depends on hydrodynamic conditions as well as fluid properties.

Let me try one more time. Film strength is a fluid property. It is not dependent on hydrodynamic conditions. Film thickness, on the other hand, depends on hydrodynamic conditions as well as fluid properties.
I am well aware of that, which is why I phrased my comment the way I did. It's not on me that you lack the critical thinking skills to reason through what I said. I think everyone else got it.

You claim I am autistic. I did not say that, and no doctor has ever said that. I guess you claim to be a doctor, too! My knowledge of fluid dynamics is not based only on what I learned many years ago in books. It is based on over 40 years of practical experience working with fluids every day, and I publish technical articles on the subject. Your "caveats" do not remove the fact that you said viscosity is essentially film strength, and you are also confusing film strength with film thickness, which is in fact dependent on hydrodynamics, even to the point that air, which has an extremely low viscosity, can produce a film thickness sufficient to prevent metal to metal contact under certain conditions. BTW, I am not working on agitating poop. Today I am working on a project for Shell Oil to design a continuous flow multistage reactor with non-Newtonian viscosity characteristics that change as a function of degree of reaction conversion. I calculate residence time distribution and stage efficiency, accounting for backmixing between stages.
You still can't grasp a simple concept...

I am well aware of that, which is why I phrased my comment the way I did. It's not on me that you lack the critical thinking skills to reason through what I said. I think everyone else got it.
You said film STRENGTH was essentially viscosity. You did not mention film thickness. I am the one who brought that up. Your writing and word usage is sloppy, which to me indicates sloppy thinking.

You said film STRENGTH was essentially viscosity. You did not mention film thickness. I am the one who brought that up. Your writing and word usage is sloppy, which to me indicates sloppy thinking.
I stated that viscosity within a hydrodynamic environment was basically the same thing as film strength. Film strength by definition is not in a hydrodynamic environment. But viscosity is very much like film strength under hydrodynamic conditions in layman's terms.
Again the fact you can't wrap your mind around this is telling.
Film thickness has nothing to do with what I am talking about and that's why I did not bring it up.
If you had a shaft turning inside a sleeve style bushing and you tightened the clearance up on the fly would a low viscosity oil or a high viscosity oil be more tenacious?

I stated that viscosity within a hydrodynamic environment was basically the same thing as film strength. Film strength by definition is not in a hydrodynamic environment. But viscosity is very much like film strength under hydrodynamic conditions in layman's terms.
Again the fact you can't wrap your mind around this is telling.
Film thickness has nothing to do with what I am talking about and that's why I did not bring it up.
If you had a shaft turning inside a sleeve style bushing and you tightened the clearance up on the fly would a low viscosity oil or a high viscosity oil be more tenacious?
I cannot wrap my mind around a complete technical error on your part. Film strength and viscosity are two different things, period. Film thickness is what determines whether metal-to-metal contact will occur. As for your sleeve example, it depends on the oil. A modern 0W-20 oil would likely provide better lubrication of that sleeve bearing than a straight 40 weight oil from the 1960s. I get tired of repeating this point, but it is relevant. And you miss the importance of machine design in the overall equation, which is why I brought up the point of dry-running seals. Even air can prevent metal-to-metal contact if the relative velocity is high enough and the machine is designed to make use of the air's inertia. It is like a tire hydroplaning. No one would say water is a good lubricant, but with enough velocity and contact area, it can lift a car off the road, resulting in a very low-friction condition.

I cannot wrap my mind around a complete technical error on your part. Film strength and viscosity are two different things, period. Film thickness is what determines whether metal-to-metal contact will occur. As for your sleeve example, it depends on the oil. A modern 0W-20 oil would likely provide better lubrication of that sleeve bearing than a straight 40 weight oil from the 1960s. I get tired of repeating this point, but it is relevant. And you miss the importance of machine design in the overall equation, which is why I brought up the point of dry-running seals. Even air can prevent metal-to-metal contact if the relative velocity is high enough and the machine is designed to make use of the air's inertia. It is like a tire hydroplaning. No one would say water is a good lubricant, but with enough velocity and contact area, it can lift a car off the road, resulting in a very low-friction condition.
Film thickness is a clearance thing.. and it's not what I described. That and you didn't answer my question.
Xw40 oils aren't used in HD diesels because 0w20 protects as well. AAny tricks you do to a 0w20 to increase performance can likewise be done to Xw40 oils.

Film thickness is a clearance thing.. and it's not what I described. That and you didn't answer my question.
Xw40 oils aren't used in HD diesels because 0w20 protects as well. AAny tricks you do to a 0w20 to increase performance can likewise be done to Xw40 oils.
I brought up film thickness, as it does what you called film strength does. It is not actually a clearance thing. If the clearance is less than the film thickness, wear will occur. And I did answer your question as posed. I don't know what an Xw40 oil is, but the Ford 6.7l turbodiesels use 5W40, as I told you before.

I brought up film thickness, as it does what you called film strength does. It is not actually a clearance thing. If the clearance is less than the film thickness, wear will occur. And I did answer your question as posed. I don't know what an Xw40 oil is, but the Ford 6.7l turbodiesels use 5W40, as I told you before.
And why do you suppose that is. When a 0w20 is available?

BTW I find it strange Shell would hire you to do anything. You work out of your house... Shell has thousands of engineers and when they do contract out it's with someone competent like Woorly-Parsens, not some half jazzed quack working out of his house in chithole Ohio. BTW being president of a one man band is laughable as is the 40 year old pic On your linked in profile.

BTW I find it strange Shell would hire you to do anything. You work out of your house... Shell has thousands of engineers and when they do contract out it's with someone competent like Woorly-Parsens, not some half jazzed quack working out of his house in chithole Ohio. BTW being president of a one man band is laughable as is the 40 year old pic On your linked in profile.
It is because no one within the Shell organization globally has my specialized knowledge. And this is not my first project with them. I also consult regularly to major engineering firms, for the same reason. By the way, it is spelled "Worley-Parsons". Some of us are real experts. Some, like you, are poseurs. I bet you could not get even one technical article past the editors of a major technical publication. Prove me wrong. Write one and see if you can get it published by a reputable publication.

Back