Woods Porting The MS660......Tricks And Tips

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Guys,
I'm sorry, I cant seem to figure out how to start a new post.
I have a 066 Magnum that I want to discuss and I have forgotten how to post a new thread.
A little guidance would be much appreciated..

Go to main page and at the top there should be a button that says start new thread.

You've shared a lot more than your builds, Will. I breathed a little sigh of relief when you turned the webcam off.

Can I get an Amen!!!!! :laugh:

I wish I had not seen this thread. I'm starting to get the itch always being fond of the 066/ MS660's anyway. I have one that seems to be inching acroos the floor toward Tennesse. I need to tie it to a cinder block or something.

We get along........me and the 1122 series. :)

lol
looks like youv'e been into one of my saws
thats what i've been doing for a long time, before you started porting, and it works.
your intake and exhaust ports are best at 165 dur
can't always get them there but as close as i can, transfer is 117 dur

good looking build
you learn fairly quick

This is easily my favorite thread of the day. I've got to get my jug dropped and squish band cut!!

Thanks for sharing, Randy.

First thing I do, when I log in at night is look for new Mastermind build threads.:bowdown: If there is a new one- it's a good night. They are always a great read and usually have the same group of fellers participating. Best place to hang out in the chainsaw forum. It keeps the dream alive.

Last edited:
lol
thats what i've been doing for a long time, before you started porting, and it works.

good looking build
you learn fairly quick

Ha have ya got hold of a 461 yet ?.

Andrew

lol

good looking build
you learn fairly quick

Our numbers are within a .5 of a degree.......I swear I wasn't watching you port one Scott. :laugh:

the cats out of the bag...

When you find out what works, you usually find out you didn't re-invent the wheel. Somebody has almost always been there before and they are just tight lipped about it. Case in point, I learned more in one night from a SBC super stock guru than all the who-ha going around here and there about "how" to port massage a set of factory iron heads. Notice I said, iron factory heads, you only get one shot at the chamber, exhaust bowls and exhaust ports. If you go too far, their gone. The strange part is with multiple cylinders none of the ports with reverse valve arrangement look the same to one another, strange indeed. The center is a different bowl and port shape compared to the ends. You seem to be working out the same principals with different saw sizes and cylinder configurations.

Nice work, good tec stuff! :msp_thumbsup:

I can't believe you leaked all this proprietary information! You'll probably never get another port job now!:cool2:

I've only got ten saws to port in the shop.........

When i first started trying to figure this stuff out most guys were real careful about telling too much. That caused me great amounts of frustration.......I may be wrong but I think that being completely transparent is a good thing. People tend to want to know what is going to be done to their engine.......if I don't post pictures of my work they won't have a clue what I'm doing. The engine in this thread is a typical woods port for me. I almost always increase compression by cutting squish because I gain more control over the port timing......many times the saw leaves here with less exhaust duration or lower transfers than it had stock.

On the other side is helping out the guys that want a ported saw but really can't afford the expense of shipping it across the country and shelling out 250 clams. I understand that completely.....and will gladly share what little I know.

When I found this site I was in a bad state of health.....and money was very scarce. The info I found here helped me to have something to do while I was recuperating, without it I would have went crazy. The first saw I did any port work on was an 026 that was given to me.......it was cold outside, the shop was full of construction tools without heat. My wife insisted that I sit at the kitchen table and work on that saw. That gave me something to do with my hands.....at the time I really needed that. The incentive I needed to get started was found on this site. In my mind I owe this group of guys and gals.......I try to give some back whenever I can.

I can't believe you leaked all this proprietary information! You'll probably never get another port job now!:cool2:

I think you are safe. Probably not a handful of people who read these forums that even know what it means.

If I can get one of you to build one for me I sure as hell aln't going to learn how, ruin a couple in the process, and buy the stuff to do it with.

I think I will just stick to fixing what's broke.

Back