Woods Porting The MS660......Tricks And Tips

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't believe you leaked all this proprietary information! You'll probably never get another port job now!:cool2:

+1- if a builder wont share their builds, i won't share my money. Randy shares his, which leaned me towards him, and looking at my sig- it worked out for both of us.:rock:

I think you are safe. Probably not a handful of people who read these forums that even know what it means.

If I can get one of you to build one for me I sure as hell aln't going to learn how, ruin a couple in the process, and buy the stuff to do it with.

I think I will just stick to fixing what's broke.

Even if you have a good idea of what you want, what your doing, and have done a few other saws before w/ good results there has to be that moment when the carbide is spinning and it's about to start cutting on a $300 cyl. that makes you reaaaaalllly wonder if this is the right thing to do.

Even if you have a good idea of what you want, what your doing, and have done a few other saws before w/ good results there has to be that moment when the carbide is spinning and it's about to start cutting on a $300 cyl. that makes you reaaaaalllly wonder if this is the right thing to do.

I was doing a nice 036 Pro for a member last year........in a moment of slight distraction I let the burr contact the transfer bridge.......it bound and bent the shank.......then proceeded to destroy the plating inside that jug. All the port work was done and I was just blending and smoothing the transfer tunnels......so I lost the time I had in the work.....and I had to replace the jug.

I was doing a nice 036 Pro for a member last year........in a moment of slight distraction I let the burr contact the transfer bridge.......it bound and bent the shank.......then proceeded to destroy the plating inside that jug. All the port work was done and I was just blending and smoothing the transfer tunnels......so I lost the time I had in the work.....and I had to replace the jug.

:msp_ohmy::bang:

:msp_ohmy::bang:

I know......right? :laugh:

The worst one I've had was a 372xp. I got it in a trade, it had puked the big end on the rod and was disassembled. The parts were loose in the box and little bits of the needle bearings were everywhere. I rebuilt it with a good used 371 crankshaft, new bearings, seals, gaskets, a good used 372 jug, and a new Meteor piston. I cut the squish band and ported it. She ended up being a great runner. Then I sold it.

After about ten tanks or so the owner contacted me and said it died. I had him to return it so I could fix it. I found a piece of that old needle bearing embedded in the bottom of the crankcase. I figured the it was hung in the air filter pleating and finally come loose. The top end was toast. I replaced it with an new OEM 372 top end, cut squish and ported......on my dime.

I sent Chris the saw back and it lasted about 6 tanks before it lost compression. I asked him to send it back again for me to fix......again. I was thinking by this time that the saw had a gremlin in it or something. :(

It had a broken ring and had trashed the top end again. I never could determine why it failed, but think I may have cracked the ring when I was putting it together. (That's the reason I put a nice bevel on the bottom of the bore these days)

I replaced that top end with a single ring 371 piston and OEM cylinder......cut squish and ported......so far it's still running, but Chris may call today about that demon saw. :laugh:

If you do this stuff all the time there will be failures.......how you deal with those failures is what really matters though.

I know......right? :laugh:

The worst one I've had was a 372xp. I got it in a trade, it had puked the big end on the rod and was disassembled. The parts were loose in the box and little bits of the needle bearings were everywhere. I rebuilt it with a good used 371 crankshaft, new bearings, seals, gaskets, a good used 372 jug, and a new Meteor piston. I cut the squish band and ported it. She ended up being a great runner. Then I sold it.

After about ten tanks or so the owner contacted me and said it died. I had him to return it so I could fix it. I found a piece of that old needle bearing embedded in the bottom of the crankcase. I figured the it was hung in the air filter pleating and finally come loose. The top end was toast. I replaced it with an new OEM 372 top end, cut squish and ported......on my dime.

I sent Chris the saw back and it lasted about 6 tanks before it lost compression. I asked him to send it back again for me to fix......again. I was thinking by this time that the saw had a gremlin in it or something. :(

It had a broken ring and had trashed the top end again. I never could determine why it failed, but think I may have cracked the ring when I was putting it together. (That's the reason I put a nice bevel on the bottom of the bore these days)

I replaced that top end with a single ring 371 piston and OEM cylinder......cut squish and ported......so far it's still running, but Chris may call today about that demon saw. :laugh:

If you do this stuff all the time there will be failures.......how you deal with those failures is what really matters though.

Your right, lessons come at a price. And how you dealt w/ that situation was a brick that helped build who you are today.
G-pa always said its because all of the other parts are jealous of the new parts.

The last time I talked to ya it sounded like you might give up hope on the 371/372xp bottom ends. I hope you don't get anymore demons like that.

Randy,..concerning the effed up stuff, if you as a porter have not effed up some parts you have not entered into any new or unknown territories. I have and any other porter worth their salt has a collection of effed up parts, comes with the territory. Expensive jugs and pistons, yes I have a few along with some of the cheaper types I have experimented with and a few that were outright mistakes. I don`t beat myself up over it, just the cost of learning.

Haha I understand completely. I had my brother killing a nice 130" buck in Wyoming on video. That is until he decided to see how the camera worked while I was hunting.

Randy,..concerning the effed up stuff, if you as a porter have not effed up some parts you have not entered into any new or unknown territories. I have and any other porter worth their salt has a collection of effed up parts, comes with the territory. Expensive jugs and pistons, yes I have a few along with some of the cheaper types I have experimented with and a few that were outright mistakes. I don`t beat myself up over it, just the cost of learning.

That is so true, I call it my "Damn it shelf". Everything from chainsaw cylinders to some very pricey HD heads. Comes with the territory.

I did save the video. :msp_thumbup:

Stock in knot free poplar......

[video=youtube;zlXxqMt1DEo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlXxqMt1DEo&feature=youtu.be[/video]

After in crappy wood. :(

[video=youtube;-3xBvhYbWfk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3xBvhYbWfk&feature=youtu.be[/video]

SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rock::hmm3grin2orange:

So then, question. It has been mentioned that you dont lower the intake side. That's fine, but what if the intake is lowered, could you drop the jug still?

Back