WTB: Big Cheap Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruiser

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello All,
I'm looking at getting into chainsaw milling and my little 50cc saws ain't gonna cut it. Can't afford a new 088 or 3120, so am hoping for leads on older big saws...cheap. While my tastes typically run toward Swedes, I ain't real picky here, just big and cheap. While a Husky 2100 or Jonsered 111 would be nice, a big old McCulloch 797 or 125 would be equally suitable. Also interested in any used chainsaw mills for sale. Thanks for any leads.

I have a 111S, but it's happy with me. ;) Older big saws that seem to go cheap-ish are the 1100/2100 type Homelites, Stihl 075/076, Dolmar 153, and the later Pioneers like the P-60.

Mac 125s are not cheap because cart racers use the engines, or chainsaw racers use the frames for cart engines.

If you want to lower your requirement to around 80cc, there are all sorts of saws cheap in that class.

Stihl 056
Homelite 750
Husqvarna 394
Husqvarna 288
Stihl 064
Stihl 084

I have seen Jonsered 2094's pretty reasonable also

Husky 2100 on ebay

For sale, ending soon. going cheap, it looks very used.but they last forever. Suggest getting money back replacement agreement, and getting it.

eBay 2100

Okay fellas... I'm gonna be bidding on the eBay 2100 unless somebody else feels they gotta have it. If so, let me know. There's no point in bidding against each other and jacking up the price. Anybody care to comment on parts availability for the 2100 series?

eBay 2100

Ouch! That ???? non-running 2100 on eBay went off over $200. Big enough...just not cheap enough. Thanks for the lead anyway, rbtree. Send any more my way.
Dave E.
PS. What's the consensus on the 394? Good saw?

Big Cheap Saw

You may want to define cheap when looking for a big cheap saw. If you are looking to spend under $200 for a saw over 70CC you may be looking for a long time. On ebay find Saw King and email him. He is probably a member here but I am not sure. He seems to have a huge supply of larger saws. Yesterday he sold a Homelite 750 for about $350. He also sold a Mac 125 for I believe about the same. He has another rough Mac 125 on ebay now. I have been looking for a Homelite 750 and had planned on bidding on the one yesterday but it ended in the morning and I did not get to. I have several larger saws that I will be selling but I am not going to give them away. I have a Stihl 084 and a Husky 3120. I also just listed a Homelite 410 tonight on ebay. I also have a 540 Homelite that I would be willing to sell. If you are interested you can email me. Another option for you is to watch ebay for some new saws. John Lambert here in this forum I believe can sell you a new 088 cheaper than a US dealer. I know there have been some new 066's sold real cheap on ebay. I believe last winter a new 066 went for around $600. Let me know if I can be of assistance

rupe and kd buy up all the 2100]s in the world. the 153 seems to be avasilable once an awhile under 200. I have a 115 (53cc) that I bought on ebay and was DOA. Excuse the advertizement but check out billyray-53 before you buy from this criminal. A
Fraud Complaint is still underway, and hopefully I will get a little money back to fix the saw. Sorry about bringing up old bones. Anyway, I agree about a big saw that has some life in it that won't cost you an arm and leg. But brotherman, forget about running a mill with an old a.. saw, at least regularly.

The Homelite 1100 was from around 1965 and 6.1 CID if my memory's correct. The 2100 was from the mid '70s and is 7.0. Both were from an old series of saws dating back to 1960 or so with the C-5. Not to be confused with the Husky 2100.

The 750 was part of the late '70s series that had new technology like AV mounts. Nice looking saws, some design faults. They're not what you'd call cheap these days. Last decent-looking one I saw on eBay went for around $500 with HomeDeliteMan buying. You can get them for a lot less, but they're usually in the as-is, missing most of the paint catagory.

There is a classified ad site out of Canada called buysell.com that has chainsaws for sale. It doesn't have pictures like ebay and you have to call the person on the phone. I was looking for a Pioneer parts saw when I found a P-60 in good condition. Talked with the seller on the phone a couple times and ended up buying it for 200 dollars U.S. shipped to my house. The saw is in very good condition and runs great. The bad thing is I don't think there is any way to find out about the seller like on ebay. It's like buying out of the newspaper long distance. Worked great for me and I've seen several older large saws for sale that seem like good deals. Anyone else had any luck with that site?

hey there BILL G> just bought a homelight 410 because of
the bow bar & chain! is this saw any good ? do you know how to tell if it has points? I don't think i want to own and worry about
points on a 2 stroke . 4.1 c.i. @ 67cc ??
just got the rubber intake (elbow) manifold =$5
got good spark and way too much fuel , it's flooding and
it wont stop?? whats with the four reed valves??
IS THIS SAW WORTH KEEPING? HONEST?
what do you like and disslike about this model ?? thanks

Bruiser, I just got back from Clearwater and read the post. I have a few big saws that may be OK for your use. The one that comes immediately to mind is a 105 Mac. It is the same frame as the 125 Mac but just a tad smaller on displacement. I just got it and it has good compression but has not been running for a long time. I think it will need point filing and a carb re-build but you do the work and I will ship it to you for $250. It comes with about a 32" bar and chain. I will send picture if you wish.

I have 090 Stihls but $1000 is not cheap and new 3120 Huskys at about the same. There is a 394, a couple 066s, 056, 153 Sachs, but I won't part with my 2100 Huskys. Like Wolfie sez, I like em! Anyway my prices are about the same as Ebay but I stand behind my stuff and check it out before sending it. Let me know because it has been my experience that other that read this post may want some of this stuf and I say, first come first served! Mike

Well Roooup, how bout you part with that gutless old 090 you talked me into trying out Sunday. Sand goes through an hourglass faster than that dog.... Think $75 would be fair?
And that crummy muffler burned my hand, the burn unit doctor wanted to talk to you on that one.....Oh, and my chiropracter had some choice words too, when I told him about getting thrown back almost out of the cut...sheesh, "what's up with that".......to quote a good friend named DG or something.....who also is period unchallenged.

Back