One mans junk, another mans treasure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Hmmmmmmmmmm where'd that box of junk go, wait its not even a MS310 anymore, its a MS390, I'll be dayummmm.....

Is that a smoked piston on top, or just a hunka burnin' love?

That piston is cooked bigtime. That saw was 7 yrs old. I sold it to the guy. He rocked his chain the other day but he was determined to continue sawing up a 30 inch oak. The saw finally overheated and it let go. The clutch side bearing heated up to the point the cage fell apart. The piston said I'm outta here and she quit for good.

He bought a new saw, another 310, and never said boo about it. He left that one. Since it was in good shape I decided to turn it into a 390. Figure I'd snap a few pics of how to do one of those saws since many have a tuff time with them. They aren't hard to work on at all, takes alittle patience but hard to work on, naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Nice thread Tommy, now can I ask what the starting fluid was for????:confused:

Your a winner. I set it there in the pic on purpose. See that grease I put on the seals, well when you slide that seal over the crank you leave grease smeared on it. That flywheel will bust if you try to tighten it down on a greasy crankshaft. Starting fluid is a great grease cutter. I sprayed some on a rag and wiped that crank end down real good before installing the flywheel, glad you caught that, I was waiting for someone to ask, good eye!!!!!

Great tutorial TH!! Don't let the nay sawyers let you down!!!

Great tutorial TH!! Don't let the nay sawyers let you down!!!

Notta pro blem bo man,LOL I've done alot of those saws. Hell this morning I had a 250 that lost a clutch spring and chewed the case near the oil pump. Left a hole right at the bottom of the oil pump, would not pump oil due to the gap in the case. Hour later a new engine housing and she's oiling like a new saw.

Here in a month or so I'm gonna do a complete tear down and re-assemble of a 066. Gonna take it right down to the crank and bring it back to a complete saw. Some have a tuff time splitting cases and installing bearings. We gonna showem step by step how easy it really is, should be fun,:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Last edited:
To me, it sounds more like the theme from Deliverance...... LOLOL:greenchainsaw:

Whatcha talking about man,LOL Reminds me, I got something today, customer brought it in and said this is for you man, thought you might like it. I looked at it and said what is that. He goes its a card holder. I'm like huh, okkkkkkkkkk. As I looked at it a idea came to mind. I told the guy I was gonna put a couple of condoms in it and approach some gal with it in my hand and say hey baby wanna mess around with the King as I open it and they look at whats in it,LOLOLOL Look at this dayumm thing, never seen a card holder like this,

attachment.php

Here in a month or so I'm gonna do a complete tear down and re-assemble of a 066. Gonna take it right down to the crank and bring it back to a complete saw. Some have a tuff time splitting cases and installing bearings. We gonna showem step by step how easy it really is, should be fun,:cheers::cheers::cheers:

You mean you cant replace them with out splitting the case???

I have a couple of ?'s

On one of my service manual it shows engine bolt assembly pattern.As you have the case upside down it states to put in the first bolt kiddie corner across from the collar stud.Next in is the collar stud,then the one closest to flywheel muffler side,then the one closest to collar stud,then remaining back one. If that makes sense.
I can see the engine pan bolt pattern but what about the collar stud?

I have assembled three of them this way,did I do it wrong?

:cheers:

I have a couple of ?'s

On one of my service manual it shows engine bolt assembly pattern.As you have the case upside down it states to put in the first bolt kiddie corner across from the collar stud.Next in is the collar stud,then the one closest to flywheel muffler side,then the one closest to collar stud,then remaining back one. If that makes sense.
I can see the engine pan bolt pattern but what about the collar stud?

I have assembled three of them this way,did I do it wrong?

Not at all, you did fine. I always use the cross pattern when bolting the pan on. That bar stud hole is plenty big so lining it up is no big deal. I like getting the pan bolted down completely so I don't have to worry about air leaks..

Last edited:
Gotcha!!

Great howto!!!
Would of been very helpful on my first one.It should help out many!

Good pics tom

I've replaced the P&C on quite a few of these saws and they aren't horrid to work on or really anymore time consuming than their pro counterparts. They are different, but definately not complicated eventhough others beg to differ.

On a sidenote...before I left for work this evening I told my son (9) and daughter (7) to see if they could tear down an 026 I had to the crankcase. I checked when I got back hom from work tonight and they got all the plastic off, muffler, all the gastank av mount screws, inner guide plate, carb, starter cover, sprocket cover, coil, etc. off the saw, but they weren't able to seperate the tank from the crankcase. They have watched me a few times, but they weren't able to push the intake boot through the tank housing and pull the impulse line off the crankcase. I was pretty impressed. They also didn't get the cylinder pulled off, but were able to get the four torx off.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back