One mans junk, another mans treasure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All I need to do now is change the name plate from MS310 to MS290 and go torment some 346's,LOL

Both those saws had new chains on them, you can see the 3/8 chain on the Stihl really pulls more chips more aggressive than the .325 on the 346...

When I saw you start this thread, I was sure hoping you'd put a 390 topend on it:clap: There's not much difference in price if I recall.

When I saw you start this thread, I was sure hoping you'd put a 390 topend on it:clap: There's not much difference in price if I recall.

Actually the 390 jug and piston is a few bucks cheaper than a 290 cylinder. I think the price is higher on the 290 due to the popularity. The 390 has never been that much a seller.

I got 4 029's out in the shed that have been sitting for awhile. One day they will all be 390's. Power wise the 390 nips right at the heals of a 361...

Evil, evil, evil. But I mean that in a GOOD way! :D :D

LOL, shoot the funny part is we all get these ideas to go race someone with a saw this is something its not. My problem is I cut most of the time by myself.

I took a 290 and made it a 390 for my brother, he really likes that saw. Course for free he ought to,haha

You mean free and free?

I actually ordered two of those 390 kits but bought only one. I got a 066 I'm stocking up parts on and man that thing is really getting in my wallet. The other 390 kit is being stored at the shop. When I get that 066 done I'll toss another 390 together. These hobbies can pinch your wallet if you get too involved in them...

I got a 066 I'm stocking up parts on and man that thing is really getting in my wallet.

Sounds like you wouldn't mind a bit of Yankee capital to go with your Antebellum ingenuity on that 066 (especially if you were going to port and muff mod the gal.) ;)

Sounds like you wouldn't mind a bit of Yankee capital to go with your Antebellum ingenuity on that 066 (especially if you were going to port and muff mod the gal.) ;)

Well that saw is a mights costly. I got a box at the shop that I have been adding parts to for awhile. New bearings, gasket set, cylinder/piston, oil pump, clutch assembly, handle bar, chain break handle, all new covers, muffler. All new OEM parts. Haven't ordered all the new buffers yet but will. When it gets laid out on the operating table it will go back together as near new as I can get it. Doing it this way runs into money, alot of it but the saw will be a real gem to own....

Troll is going to have a fit when he sees his beloved 346 take a beat down from a homeowner 310, LOLOLOL. I'll be sure to remind him of this video when he talks smack about the 290/310/390 saws.:laugh:

Troll is going to have a fit when he sees his beloved 346 take a beat down from a homeowner 310, LOLOLOL. I'll be sure to remind him of this video when he talks smack about the 290/310/390 saws.:laugh:

LOL, meanie. It coulda been worse, my box of junk , oppps, MS310, oopps, 390 wasn't even broke in yet, that was its very first two cuts,LOLOLOL

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php
I've never greased my seals before. Do you do this on pro models too? I usually put them in dry. Also, on pro models, do you find it best to put the seals in before or after the crankcase has been assembled?

LOL, meanie. It coulda been worse, my box of junk , oppps, MS310, oopps, 390 wasn't even broke in yet, that was its very first two cuts,LOLOLOL

The 346 was for sure out of it's element. That was homeowner type wood, hahaha. I always told myself if I come across a clean, top end toasted 290 it will turn into a sleeper 390. I will then travel to the land of tooth picks, Norway and lay the smack down on Troll's 346. Or I could just take one of my 026s, 260s or the new 261 when it arrives.:D

Wow, when you are not discussing oil you actually have some good ideas.:clap:

Dude (and I rarely use that word, but this time it is appropriate) ARE YOU A FUKIN PROPHET?? You have 58 posts and more rep than guys who have thousands...are you handin out free saws for positive rep or somethin???Thats amazing. how the heck did that happen?

I've never greased my seals before. Do you do this on pro models too? I usually put them in dry. Also, on pro models, do you find it best to put the seals in before or after the crankcase has been assembled?

Greasing the seals is common practice, thats how I was taught to do it. I'm told they are greased at the factory as well during assembly. I think it just makes them slide on easier and maybe seal and seat a tad better during break in. I grease seals on everything whether its saw, trimmer or blower. One thing to remember is to be sure and wipe the flywheel side crank end off real good with some sort of degreaser. If not that grease can actually bust a flywheel when you tighten it down...

Opps, misread your post. Seals on the pro saws I always put in after everything is assembled.

Last edited:
Notta pro blem bo man,LOL I've done alot of those saws. Hell this morning I had a 250 that lost a clutch spring and chewed the case near the oil pump. Left a hole right at the bottom of the oil pump, would not pump oil due to the gap in the case. Hour later a new engine housing and she's oiling like a new saw.

Here in a month or so I'm gonna do a complete tear down and re-assemble of a 066. Gonna take it right down to the crank and bring it back to a complete saw. Some have a tuff time splitting cases and installing bearings. We gonna showem step by step how easy it really is, should be fun,:cheers::cheers::cheers:

I avoided cracking cases for over a year. While I probably should have started with something like an 026 rebuild, I decided to do an ms660 my first time...lol. It isn't nearly as intimidating as it seems. I've done about 8 of them now. I'm still unsure about whether or not to put seals on before or after re-assembly though...might be a stupid question, but I've done it both ways and don't remember which of the two was more burdensome...I have to quit posting to this thread as I think this is my fourth in a row..sorry guys.

Have you ever ported these clamshells? I did a mild port on an ms280 a week or so ago, but I'm wondering what is the best method, if at all to mod the transfers. I just made them slightly deeper, but its a different ballgame than the pro saws...enlighten me please...

I avoided cracking cases for over a year. While I probably should have started with something like an 026 rebuild, I decided to do an ms660 my first time...lol. It isn't nearly as intimidating as it seems. I've done about 8 of them now. I'm still unsure about whether or not to put seals on before or after re-assembly though...might be a stupid question, but I've done it both ways and don't remember which of the two was more burdensome...I have to quit posting to this thread as I think this is my fourth in a row..sorry guys.

Seals are no biggie. On pro saws most times they are harder to get out than to press in. I use seal presses but a regular socket will work just fine too. Main thing is not to put them in too deep with a socket. The press automaticly puts them at the right depth. I had a 028 once that I like to never got the flywheel seal out, man that thing was in there to stay. I got it though , was alot of cussing involved,LOL

All I need to do now is change the name plate from MS310 to MS290 and go torment some 346's,LOL

Both those saws had new chains on them, you can see the 3/8 chain on the Stihl really pulls more chips more aggressive than the .325 on the 346...

I'm predominantly a Stihl guy, but I'll gladly trade you a ms390 or 039 for a 346xp all day long...that 50cc saw may not hang with the 64cc but the power to weight ratio and, more specifically, the operating rpm make the 346xp a far better saw. I had an 039 that I went through thoroughly. I put a new piston in it and although it hadn't seated yet, the saw was a dog, even after muffler mod. I don't know why, but it was a horrible saw (more horrible than normal.)

Have you ever ported these clamshells? I did a mild port on an ms280 a week or so ago, but I'm wondering what is the best method, if at all to mod the transfers. I just made them slightly deeper, but its a different ballgame than the pro saws...enlighten me please...

Never tried my hand at porting anything, welp I take that back. I do have one 026 I did alittle grinding on a long time ago. Turned out pretty good, gained alittle power but not enuff to write home about. I think to really get the most out of porting you have to increase the fuel supply, compression, and work the exhaust too. Then the chain needs a major tune up too to really get those times down. I'm fine with stock though porting and what all goes along with it is interesting to read about...

I'm predominantly a Stihl guy, but I'll gladly trade you a ms390 or 039 for a 346xp all day long...that 50cc saw may not hang with the 64cc but the power to weight ratio and, more specifically, the operating rpm make the 346xp a far better saw. I had an 039 that I went through thoroughly. I put a new piston in it and although it hadn't seated yet, the saw was a dog, even after muffler mod. I don't know why, but it was a horrible saw (more horrible than normal.)

Well I'm old school I guess. I've never replaced just the piston, its always new jug and piston. So far all I've put together that way seem to run as good as the model they are suppose to be. A 390 is no speed machine by any means but it does ok. The 346 is a fun saw for sure. That saw and the 5100 Dolmar seem to have been at it since they come out, the guys argu to no end over those two saws...

Latest posts

Back