One mans junk, another mans treasure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is why they call him the Champ

Great post. Can't wait to see the 066 teardown/rebuild in the months to come. :cheers:

Again... great thread Tom. :clap:

Gary

Thanks man. Hey gotta question for you. Remember the thread where Lakeside took a 056MagII and built it with all NOS parts and made what we may as well say a brand new 056. That was a the ultimate rebuild thread. Has he ever started that saw?, its been a few years now. He told me he was going to save it. Me, I wouldn't be able to resist not giving that thing a run in the wood.

Good pics tom

I've replaced the P&C on quite a few of these saws and they aren't horrid to work on or really anymore time consuming than their pro counterparts. They are different, but definately not complicated eventhough others beg to differ.

On a sidenote...before I left for work this evening I told my son (9) and daughter (7) to see if they could tear down an 026 I had to the crankcase. I checked when I got back hom from work tonight and they got all the plastic off, muffler, all the gastank av mount screws, inner guide plate, carb, starter cover, sprocket cover, coil, etc. off the saw, but they weren't able to seperate the tank from the crankcase. They have watched me a few times, but they weren't able to push the intake boot through the tank housing and pull the impulse line off the crankcase. I was pretty impressed. They also didn't get the cylinder pulled off, but were able to get the four torx off.

Kids can amaze you on what all they can do for sure. Now when mine were small I would have said now don't mess with that saw. When I got home chances would be good the whole saw would be in a 100 pieces,LOL

Great post. Can't wait to see the 066 teardown/rebuild in the months to come. :cheers:

Me too. I've been slowly getting all the parts for that saw. I got a box at the shop I been adding parts to almost on a weekly basis. That saw is gonna be like new other than the tank housing, crankcase and crank. Getting all OEM parts for that model is quite costly but I feel OEM parts is the only way to go...

Thanks man. Hey gotta question for you. Remember the thread where Lakeside took a 056MagII and built it with all NOS parts and made what we may as well say a brand new 056. That was a the ultimate rebuild thread. Has he ever started that saw?, its been a few years now. He told me he was going to save it. Me, I wouldn't be able to resist not giving that thing a run in the wood.

I'm pretty darn sure that Mag2 has not seen wood. It's a beauty of a saw... :)

Gary

I'm pretty darn sure that Mag2 has not seen wood. It's a beauty of a saw... :)

Gary

Dayumm his hide, he kept his word, not surprizing though, thats Lakeside for ya. Yes that saw was indeed the finest 056MagII I've ever seen. That guy is amazing, the site sure misses him and I do too, sure wish he would get off vacation and come on back and give us a holler:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Welp does it run

I tossed that saw together last night and never bothered to start it. Alittle bit ago I took it out for alittle test ride. Found me a piece of good hard ash and let her have at it. How does it run and how well does it cut, well I had to compare it to something, my 346 told me never to do that to it again and cussed me all the way back to the shed, I really don't understand why,LOL

You are the man Tom!!!

Ya know T I figured those saws would be alittle closer than that. When you can walk around the block and finnish the cut with a second cut and still beat the time of the other saw thats pretty bad,LOLOLOL

great thread Tom. I wish I had this before I muttled my way through one. It's working great, but, would have been easier. One observation. The Dirko. Isn't that a bit much? Aren't you supposed to lay a thin bead in the cracks of the pan?

I'm sure your way is much better, but I tried to be very precice with that part. And was very worried when I pulled the plug to check the color, and it was not brownish/tan, but red... I think I blew it all out, but I was worried.

great thread Tom. I wish I had this before I muttled my way through one. It's working great, but, would have been easier. One observation. The Dirko. Isn't that a bit much? Aren't you supposed to lay a thin bead in the cracks of the pan?

I'm sure your way is much better, but I tried to be very precice with that part. And was very worried when I pulled the plug to check the color, and it was not brownish/tan, but red... I think I blew it all out, but I was worried.

I used to put a very fine line of Dirko on but after one air leak and re-doing the whole thing I put it on kinda heavy now, no more air leaks. Any run off just gets cooked and blowed out, tant no biggie...

Just messin' witcha:greenchainsaw:

All I need to do now is change the name plate from MS310 to MS290 and go torment some 346's,LOL

Both those saws had new chains on them, you can see the 3/8 chain on the Stihl really pulls more chips more aggressive than the .325 on the 346...

Back