One mans junk, another mans treasure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is my Burned 310 with the Northwoods C&P sitting with it. I am trying to decide weather to tear into it myself or send it down to Stumpy. I recieved the 310/390 shop manual but I am still a bit scared...

Only one way to learn..
Did you get new oil seals ? I dont see em in the pic.

Here is my Burned 310 with the Northwoods C&P sitting with it. I am trying to decide weather to tear into it myself or send it down to Stumpy. I recieved the 310/390 shop manual but I am still a bit scared...

Is that the MS390 top end?

Any advantage to using the stihl compressor over the generic one from NW ?

Piston ring clamp set

If you are talking about these-

Piston ring clamp set

they will not work with a Stihl clam-shell. The Stihl compressor locks tight and holds the ring compressed. Because the clamshell has the top half of the crankcase attached to the cylinder base, the rings have to get way up into the bottom of the cylinder bf they slip into the bore. Some people can get their fingers into the bottom and get the rings to slip in, I cannot. You might also try a zip tie...but honestly, the clamp is only ~$6 and makes the job a breeze.

If you are talking about these-

Piston ring clamp set

they will not work with a Stihl clam-shell. The Stihl compressor locks tight and holds the ring compressed. Because the clamshell has the top half of the crankcase attached to the cylinder base, the rings have to get way up into the bottom of the cylinder bf they slip into the bore. Some people can get their fingers into the bottom and get the rings to slip in, I cannot. You might also try a zip tie...but honestly, the clamp is only ~$6 and makes the job a breeze.

Thanks,nMurph. Thats the info I needed.
I stopped at my local dealer , even brought in a pic. But we couldn't find it on the puter , anyone know the part # ?

Special thanks to the OP for this thread with great pics.

I just finished up an 039 rebuild with the help here. Runs like a champ! :rock:

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but can anybody help me with viewing the pictures, I'm about to rebuild my first chainsaw and it happens to be an MS290, so this thread seems to be just what I'm lloking for.

Thanks
Aled

I have a series of 19 photos illustrating the teardown of a MS290. Private message your email address to me and I'll send the photos. The total file size is 1.23MB.

Ms 290

I have a 2012 MS 290. Will I have to replace the jets for the bigger 390 top end rebuild? Do the 290 jets distribute enough fuel for the larger demand of the 390 jug and piston?

I know its an old post but all the pics are broken and I can't view any of them. Is there something I am doing wrong??
Any help or new link would be greatly appreciated. I cant seem to remove the clutch or find any help on clutch removal in the search function.

Clutch has reverse threads , you can use a piston stop tool or stuff the cylinder full with a piece of rope to lock the engine from turning while removing the clutch.

I know its an old post but all the pics are broken and I can't view any of them. Is there something I am doing wrong??
Any help or new link would be greatly appreciated. I cant seem to remove the clutch or find any help on clutch removal in the search function.
The Forum had some hacker issues so old pics arent on anymore. :(

Man that's a bummer, any other threads like this. I'm going to attempt to rebuild a ms290 for my dad.

Latest posts

Back