Anyone have experience with the Stihl Yard Boss mini tiller?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yungman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have been looking at a mini tiller to do dethatcher for my lawn, Stihl Yard Boss has the most attachments that I like, bloom, dethatcher, aerator. I just never hear anything about this.

1) Is the engine commercial grade eg. 300 hours emmision durability rating? It looks like the same engine as the home scaper trimmer engine!!!

2) Is the transmission as durable as Mantis or Honda FG110?

3) Can the engine speed control by throtle so I can go slow using the dethatcher attachment? Can it do at least half way decent job on dethatching being such a small in size and cheap compare to the real thing??!!

4) Someone has a parts diagram that you can post it here?

5) Can slit tine of the aerator tine do the job of aerate the lawn. Once again take into consideration that it only cost less than 1/5 of the real thing.

Thanks

Do you mean aerator, as in poking millions of little holes in your sod?
The little tiller might work for that, but you wont last long, as the ground speed is a little high...faster than a brisk walk, but slower than a run. Would wear you down fast. Commercial aerators make a lot wider swath, but move at a more reasonable pace.

I got one for taking care of some gardening tasks. They work really well for small areas. I bought one after comparing to the Echo/Mantis...two dealers in my area handle them and neither was very enthusiastic about the Mantis. The Stihl guy had a Stihl in stock, while the Jonsered guy didn't have the Honda mini on hand.

Some have made comparisons of the engine to Stihl's homeowner trimmers. IMO, the unit is well enough made. Mine gets about 15-20 hrs of use per year, including lending it to my F-I-L, and sister. At that rate it will take 20 years to use it up, and I won't care that its worn out in 20 years...I'll be living in a condo or tooling around in a motorhome. If I were a commercial landscape contractor putting 2 or 3 hundred hours a season on the thing, it would have paid for itself a number of times over, and I would have two or three of them.

I have been looking at a mini tiller to do dethatcher for my lawn, Stihl Yard Boss has the most attachments that I like, bloom, dethatcher, aerator. I just never hear anything about this.This is a Saw forum. But I will answer your question anyway.

1) Is the engine commercial grade eg. 300 hours emmision durability rating?The emissions rating does mot make an engine commercial grade. It is just a number to appease the EPA. It looks like the same engine as the home scaper trimmer engine!!! No the engine will last longer than 300 hours if taken care of. You need to learn more about this rating. Apparently you do not know what it means and have been reading the echo marketing bs.
If echo wants to state that their engine will last 300 hours then 300 hours it is. The Stihl will last many more than that.
2) Is the transmission as durable as Mantis or Honda FG110?
They have no transmission, just a gearbox, which is larger and bigger gears than the others.3) Can the engine speed control by throtle so I can go slow using the dethatcher attachment? Can it do at least half way decent job on dethatching being such a small in size and cheap compare to the real thing??!!
Throttle speed is very good and the dethatcher is excellent. Just realize that this is not as large as an independent dethatcher machine and it takes some time to do a yard.4) Someone has a parts diagram that you can post it here?

5) Can slit tine of the aerator tine do the job of aerate the lawn. Once again take into consideration that it only cost less than 1/5 of the real thing. Works OK, but not as well as a true aerator.Thanks

Answers above. This machine is the best on the market. Heavier than the others so their is less bouncing. Forward swept handles, so you are in control of it, also more comfortable. Esaier to start than the others due to the fact that you can lay it down and start so it doe's not run away. The frame is solid, not flimsy like the echo/mantis. Many in the shops with broken frames. Real trigger assy and not a flimsy piece of plastic and a toggle switch.

Is this enough info for you.

The Mantis is the best on the market for a mini-tiller/cultivator. It is purpose designed to do what it's sold to do, versus the Stihl which is a converted weed-wacker. Notice the engine placement on the Stihl vs. the Mantis...the Mantis engine is directly above the tines, so the weight of the motor is exactly where it should be to allow the machine to do its best work. The Stihl, being a weedwacker on a frame, has the engine set back up at an angle toward the user. This causes balance issues and keeps the Stihl from working as well as the Mantis.

I have owned a Manis now for five years...it's frame is absolutely more than adequate for the job. I can't imagine how I would ever break it. And the part about it running away doesn't exist, at least on my 4-stroke. It starts at idle speed, every time. At idle speed, the clutch isn't engaged, the tines don't turn.

Get a four-stroke Mantis with the Honda...any "yardener" considers them the gold standard, and have for years and years.

The Mantis is the best on the market for a mini-tiller/cultivator. It is purpose designed to do what it's sold to do, versus the Stihl which is a converted weed-wacker. Notice the engine placement on the Stihl vs. the Mantis...the Mantis engine is directly above the tines, so the weight of the motor is exactly where it should be to allow the machine to do its best work. The Stihl, being a weedwacker on a frame, has the engine set back up at an angle toward the user. This causes balance issues and keeps the Stihl from working as well as the Mantis.

I have owned a Manis now for five years...it's frame is absolutely more than adequate for the job. I can't imagine how I would ever break it. And the part about it running away doesn't exist, at least on my 4-stroke. It starts at idle speed, every time. At idle speed, the clutch isn't engaged, the tines don't turn.

Get a four-stroke Mantis with the Honda...any "yardener" considers them the gold standard, and have for years and years.

The Mantis is a joke. A lot like you.LOL

Guys Guys!!! Everyone is entitle to their opinion!!! Thanks for the help.

Anyone know whether the Stihl Home Scaper engine is a single ring or two ring engine? Is the engine going to last as long as the Honda?

its a two ring piston on the stihl, you can't compare four strokes and two strokes. If you want the machine in a two stroke get the stihl vs the mantis with the echo motor i had one and the rod bearing seized out of no where and i had the right mix in the pos. The stihl will have more torque. I've used all three. I personally like the Honda mini tiller it didn't seem to have no problems what so ever and was responsive and durable being a 4 stroke. It revved until my heart was content and if home depot rents them i think its a mantis and it has a Honda motor on it believe me they take abuse and hold up. As for the stihl i have a fs 45 weed wacker which is the same motor on the tiller that i beat the hell out of for 3 seasons straight. It has never failed to start and produces alot of torque for a 27.2 cc motor.Besides that parts are easy to get for it, if i ever need them. so it all depends on your opinion in the end if your a four stroke guy or a 2 stroke guy. hope this helps

Last edited:
its a two ring piston on the stihl, you can't compare four strokes and two strokes. If you want the machine in a two stroke get the stihl vs the mantis with the echo motor i had one and the rod bearing seized out of no where and i had the right mix in the pos. The stihl will have more torque. I've used all three. I personally like the Honda mini tiller it didn't seem to have no problems what so ever and was responsive and durable being a 4 stroke. It revved until my heart was content and if home depot rents them i think its a mantis and it has a Honda motor on it believe me they take abuse and hold up. As for the stihl i have a fs 45 weed wacker which is the same motor on the tiller that i beat the hell out of for 3 seasons straight. It has never failed to start and produces alot of torque for a 27.2 cc motor.Besides that parts are easy to get for it, if i ever need them. so it all depends on your opinion in the end if your a four stroke guy or a 2 stroke guy. hope this helps

I just like to confirm, you are talking about Honda FG110, not Mantis with Honda engine. What you said is for 2 cycle, Stihl engine is better than the Mantis(Echo ) 2 cycle. I know the old Honda FG100 has gear box problem, did they fix it on the FG110? How is the Mantis with Honda engine compare with Honda FG110? I do like the 4 cycle because it is a lot quieter.

Well, It's no secret that Mantis has been using the Kioritz (echo) 2 stroke engines for decades now.

Now you can get the Mantis...but FROM Echo. The new Echo TC-210i Mini-Tiller/Cultivator is basically the same thing as the mantis, side by side.

This means that an ECHO dealer would be able to supply any and all parts for this piece of equipment, from tines to tuneup parts.

The ECHO engine offers a 2 ring design "Power Boost Vortex".

Tine speed is reduced "42:1" for more torque and less tip speed so you can do more work.

http://www.echo-usa.com/product.asp?Model=TC-210i&Category=TILLER

Let's compare the Yard Boss to the TC-210i...

Echo-
Weight: 19.5lbs
Width: 9"
Fuel tank capacity: 17 oz
Price: 299.99
Consumer Warranrty: 5 Years
Commercial Warranty: 1 year
Rental Warranty: 90 days

Stihl
Weight: 20.7lbs
Width: 8.5"
Fuel Tank Capacity: 10.1oz
Price: 329.95
Consumer Warranty: 2 years
Rental Warranty 30 days

--------
The Echo offers Reversible Tines with a LIFETIME WARRANTY:jawdrop:

Let's compare the Yard Boss to the TC-210i...

Echo-
Weight: 19.5lbs
Width: 9"
Fuel tank capacity: 17 oz
Price: 299.99
Consumer Warranrty: 5 Years
Rental Warranty: 90 days

Stihl
Weight: 20.7lbs
Width: 8.5"
Fuel Tank Capacity: 10.1oz
Price: 329.95
Consumer Warranty: 2 years
Rental Warranty 30 days

--------
The Echo offers Reversible Tines with a LIFETIME WARRANTY:jawdrop:

Yes Red lets compare. Isn't it funny that you didn't list horsepower. Well since the Echo 21 cc unit does not generate a horsepower and the Stihl has over a horse, I would have to say, advantage Stihl.

The tines on the Stihl are reversible as well. You turn the gearbox around, takes about 30 seconds.
The frame on the Stihl is aircraft aluminum instead of a cheesy tri-cycle frame that you can find broken in most shops because they are thin and can't handle the bouncing that the Echo does.

Also, for 329.00 the customer gets a wheel kit with the Stihl, I guess since you are not a dealer you would not know this so i'll excuse you on this.

As far as the 5yr warranty. It doesn't cover anything that the 2yr warranty covers. You know as well as I that if it is a true warranty it will occur in a very short period of time. The purpose of the Echo 5yr was to appease Home Depot.

All in all, the MM55 is built much better than the Mantis/Echo unit.

About the guy supporting echo, there easy to get echo parts since its such a common motor they use. I'll say one thing i have two mantis' i bought one with a bad gear box for 15 bucks and had a echo on it. The other one i had seized and i pulled the jug and i noticed the rod bearing seized and sprayed wd and it loosened the rod bearing and it still runs to day. from day one i just didn't like it that much but it always got the job done. the pos crap toggle switch broke. the stihl motor just seems to have so much more power. The mantis with the honda is what i would get but thats a little more costly. As for gear boxes i think mantis had its issues too at one point. i know the honda brand did im not sure if they corrected it. As for stihl though i don't think they ever had that problem with gear boxes. As for the tines i think mantis has lifetime replacement too. Mantis is the original mini tiller though. Honda made motors for them and decided to make there own. Echo did the same thing. I guess stihl just did it because everyone else has one and they seemed to do the best because they watched everyone elses mistakes

About the guy supporting echo, there easy to get echo parts since its such a common motor they use. I'll say one thing i have two mantis' i bought one with a bad gear box for 15 bucks and had a echo on it. The other one i had seized and i pulled the jug and i noticed the rod bearing seized and sprayed wd and it loosened the rod bearing and it still runs to day. from day one i just didn't like it that much but it always got the job done. the pos crap toggle switch broke. the stihl motor just seems to have so much more power. The mantis with the honda is what i would get but thats a little more costly. As for gear boxes i think mantis had its issues too at one point. i know the honda brand did im not sure if they corrected it. As for stihl though i don't think they ever had that problem with gear boxes. As for the tines i think mantis has lifetime replacement too. Mantis is the original mini tiller though. Honda made motors for them and decided to make there own. Echo did the same thing. I guess stihl just did it because everyone else has one and they seemed to do the best because they watched everyone elses mistakes

Very good post. I would rep you if I was not out.

Yes, Stihl waited and looked at the faults of the others before bringing their's out.

I think the Honda is the same power as Stihl, both are about 1.1hp.

Echo Vortex has only one ring!!!

Guys, be nice!!!:cheers:

The frame on the Stihl is aircraft aluminum instead of a cheesy tri-cycle frame that you can find broken in most shops because they are thin and can't handle the bouncing that the Echo does.

All in all, the MM55 is built much better than the Mantis/Echo unit.

"Aircraft aluminum?" You know another word for "aircraft aluminum?"

Yup...you guessed it..."aluminum."

As opposed to the Mantis, which is "steel."

The MM55 is a homescaper product by Stihl's own admission. Versus the Mantis, which is operated by professional landscapers. (Not "lawn mowers," but nurserymen, install crews, etc.) If it were Stihl's pro-quality, they would be the first to tell you it was "Professional Quality." Funny they don't...

My experience with Stihl's homescaper engines has been...shall we say..."spotty?"

Under no circumstances is the MM55 better built than a Mantis.

Stick with a 4-cycle Honda-powered Mantis...you simply won't believe how quiet the thing is. And power to spare.

Seems funny, We move a relatively high volume of these Mantis tillers through our shop, from the new ones, to the very old ones..the ones that still had the steel heat deflector around the cylinder. People use these mini-tillers quite alot. We are in a fairly rural area, lots of small gardens. We are seeing about 4 a week now, and that number will skyrocket as the season preogresses. Most are just in for a tuneup..Plug, fuel filter, tune carb, Air filter.

So far Ive seen 0 frame failures, 0 gearbox failures, 0 clutch failures, 0 mechanical failures.

Ive seen a handful of a tillers where the toggle switch failed, took a minute to swap the switch out for a new one.

Most common thing is people leave a quarter tank of gas in them at the end of the season, and it goes bad sitting in a hot shed for a few months when it isnt needed...when they go to use it, it's all gummed up. So far all carbs have cleaned up with just a new kit and a Filter.

If you use it right, they work fast and are nimble and effective. It's meant for breaking up soil around plants/vegetables, and keeping weeds down in flower beds, thats all any of these things are supposed to be used for. If you have a fairly small garden you could weed your rows if need be. Dont need wheels..dont need bolo tines..all you need are the pick tines.

To use them properly you let it walk forward, then pull it back, walk forward, pull it back. You use the handles like bike handle bars to quickly maneuver it around plants. It only takes about 5 minutes to master controlling one in tight quarters. I see people trying to use them like a tiller, where they hold it back and slowly walk forward...Their method Contains FAIL.

The MM55 is a homescaper product by Stihl's own admission. Versus the Mantis, which is operated by professional landscapers. (Not "lawn mowers," but nurserymen, install crews, etc.) If it were Stihl's pro-quality, they would be the first to tell you it was "Professional Quality." Funny they don't...

My experience with Stihl's homescaper engines has been...shall we say..."spotty?"

Stick with a 4-cycle Honda-powered Mantis...you simply won't believe how quiet the thing is. And power to spare.

The Honda optioned Mantis' are nice, but Ive been told the price is considerably more than the 2 stroke MAntis, and it's a little heavier.

I like the 2 stroke's simply because they are light, simple, and reliable. The older Echo's were fairly loud, muffler wise, but the more modern ones have a very improved muffler/diffuser setup, a ton easier on the ears.

Id still take the Honda mantis over a Stihl MM55

There is nothing wrong with the honda engine on the mantis it just cost 80 dollars more than the Stihl which i feel can do the same job with a little more noise. Yes, it was noted as a home owner product by Stihl that doesn't mean it cannot be used for commercial usage. They can even be used for more than tilling purposes they have a few attachments. They just haven't been in the market long enough to see the same sales as mantis. The only reason why you see the mantis used by professionals is because they habe been around longer not because it is commercial because of its "echo commercial grade 21.2 cc engine." Perhaps thats why you don't see the echo branded tillers out either that much with the professionals there just like the stihl because they haven't been out for that long either. Mantis has been around for over a decade. When people bought them perhaps they had no alternative other than craftsman. I believe all these mini tillers were made for the purpose of homeowners in mind and professionals just decided to use them as they are convenient.

Latest posts

Back