Anyone have experience with the Stihl Yard Boss mini tiller?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems funny, We move a relatively high volume of these Mantis tillers through our shop, from the new ones, to the very old ones..the ones that still had the steel heat deflector around the cylinder. People use these mini-tillers quite alot. We are in a fairly rural area, lots of small gardens. We are seeing about 4 a week now, and that number will skyrocket as the season preogresses. Most are just in for a tuneup..Plug, fuel filter, tune carb, Air filter.

So far Ive seen 0 frame failures, 0 gearbox failures, 0 clutch failures, 0 mechanical failures.

Ive seen a handful of a tillers where the toggle switch failed, took a minute to swap the switch out for a new one.

Most common thing is people leave a quarter tank of gas in them at the end of the season, and it goes bad sitting in a hot shed for a few months when it isnt needed...when they go to use it, it's all gummed up. So far all carbs have cleaned up with just a new kit and a Filter.

If you use it right, they work fast and are nimble and effective. It's meant for breaking up soil around plants/vegetables, and keeping weeds down in flower beds, thats all any of these things are supposed to be used for. If you have a fairly small garden you could weed your rows if need be. Dont need wheels..dont need bolo tines..all you need are the pick tines.

To use them properly you let it walk forward, then pull it back, walk forward, pull it back. You use the handles like bike handle bars to quickly maneuver it around plants. It only takes about 5 minutes to master controlling one in tight quarters. I see people trying to use them like a tiller, where they hold it back and slowly walk forward...Their method Contains FAIL.

That is very encouraging to hear about Mantis. You work on any Honda FG110? they are cheaper than Mantis Honda. They claim they beef up the gear on the new FG110......they use a smaller engine than the FG100!!!

MM55_diagram.html

"Aircraft aluminum?" You know another word for "aircraft aluminum?"

Yup...you guessed it..."aluminum."

As opposed to the Mantis, which is "steel."

The MM55 is a homescaper product by Stihl's own admission. Versus the Mantis, which is operated by professional landscapers. (Not "lawn mowers," but nurserymen, install crews, etc.) If it were Stihl's pro-quality, they would be the first to tell you it was "Professional Quality." Funny they don't...

My experience with Stihl's homescaper engines has been...shall we say..."spotty?"

Under no circumstances is the MM55 better built than a Mantis.

Stick with a 4-cycle Honda-powered Mantis...you simply won't believe how quiet the thing is. And power to spare.

MM55 Just Built Better, sorry Woodie.

Also, for what it's worth, MANTIS offers a vast array of attachment for their Tillers, which should fit right up to the ECHO Tiller.

Border Edger
Planter/Furrower
Plow
Lawn Dethatcher
Lawn Aerator
Crevice cleaner
Wheel Set for Crevice Cleaner
Hedge Trimmer bars

As for being around a while...They were introduced in 1980, produced in Philly. They had the FIRST mini-tiller, using a Kioritz 2 stroke engine. Ive got one of the first models. They have been around 28 years this year, with over 1,000,000 units sold.

Ive used the NOMA version...you know the one with the Governed TC-200 Tecumseh engine...Many people say "ive used a mantis, made by..."craftsman, noma, etc etc" Only to find they didnt even use a copy...barely an Imitation.

Stihl has entered the market to try and steal some of Mantis' business...unfortunately those that have used a MANTIS will accept NO imitations, no matter how well marketed they are.

Does STIHL offer a 1 year "like it or return it" Guarantee?

Go with what the pros use...the Mantis. There's a reason why the pros use them and not the Stihl.

Because the pros knows. (I meant that...)

I forgot to mention the honda, compared to the older model it has i think a 25 cc ohc engine vs a 31 ohv cc and they were 4 stroke. The 25 cc motor is a trimmer engine kind of like the stihl. The older honda had a transmission with a smaller inferior assembly it was made by hoffo . The newer honda gear box has a larger worm gear and a smaller motor so it should last longer. Honda also states it has a commercial quality gear box. I guess theres only one way to find out. Below i have a link listed for the old transmission assembly. I'll try to find the new one. Hope this helps

http://www.hoffcocomet.com/hoffco/pdfs/tiller_Transmission.pdf.pdf

They have been around 28 years this year, with over 1,000,000 units sold.

...those that have used a MANTIS will accept NO imitations, no matter how well marketed they are.

I think those two things say it all. You have a Mantis...or you have a wannabe.

This is like arguing whether Minnesota or Wisconsin has bigger mosquitos...

All machines in these classes are pathetic toys for toy gardeners. Get real.

How come someone hasn't said "buy the SOLO version". I have one at work looking for a home..

Speaking of Hoffco....

Ive got this old Brush Cutter called a HOFFCO "WIZZ WITCH". It's got an 85cc Tecumseh 2 stroke, 1" Down tube, about a 3" clutch, Cast clutch housing, Cast lower end bearing housing...the whole thing weighs in over 35lbs:jawdrop: I use it to drop the corn at the end of the season..I just walk the line with the throttle lever about halfway out and all I hear is "zee zee zee zee zee zee" as the 10" blade drops the thick sweet corn stalks like toothpicks.

It's loud...It's Heavy...You stihl guys would wet yourselves:monkey:

the pros use the mantis because thats what they had in the first place, then they figure oh why not buy another when it breaks that way i already have a parts machine.well according to the website
stihl - 329.99
Mantis -349.99 (2 stroke) but wait free shipping
Mantis- 449.99 (honda) also free shipping
Honda - 349.99 @ HD
Stihl isn't trying to take away mantis' business they just felt sorry for the people buying mantis' that they wanted to give them a better product and mantis decided o wait we are in trouble we better give the consumer a free year trial to convince them that we stand behind are product.
I guess you would say shindaiwa products are better than stihl too because yes you get a 7 day free trial or take it back to your dealer.I guess echo is too with there 5 year warranty. Its all just for marketing purposes it has no meaning quality wise.

How come someone hasn't said "buy the SOLO version". I have one at work looking for a home..

No, not "toy gardeners". My garden is smaller, about 80X80 on average, but I use a Wheel Horse GT to plow, a John Deere 316 to Disc, and a Cub Cadet 1200 to make Furrows....Far from Kids toys..

The Mantis has it's purpose...cleaning up around young plants where my Troy Bilt Pony and Ariens Tillers are too wide or too clumsy.

Yeah or if your really on a budget go by the ryobi combo powerhead and get the tiller attachment its a hell of alot cheaper

The Mantis: Purpose-built to be a cultivator.

Mantis_tiller.jpg

The Stihl: Purpose built to be a compromise.

attachment.php

Excellent pictures of exactly what I'm talking about with the engine placement. Mantis: over the tines, puts direct downward pressure on them to keep them more firmly planted in the soil. Stihl: way up the handle and angled toward the user, making the tiller more prone to bouncing, and much more awkward to use.

That john deere 316 is nothing but a kids toy, i forgot where i saw this but the only reason they paint them green is when they break down in the field the farmer won't be embarrassed.I feel a shamed i only have a 210. Now That troy bilt pony is one hell of a machine i'll give you that. As light as the echo motor is the weight isn't going to help much anyway. There both well designed machines. I cannot argue about the motor place though

Last edited:
the pros use the mantis because thats what they had in the first place, then they figure oh why not buy another when it breaks that way i already have a parts machine.well according to the website
stihl - 329.99
Mantis -349.99 (2 stroke) but wait free shipping
Mantis- 449.99 (honda) also free shipping
Honda - 349.99 @ HD
Stihl isn't trying to take away mantis' business they just felt sorry for the people buying mantis' that they wanted to give them a better product and mantis decided o wait we are in trouble we better give the consumer a free year trial to convince them that we stand behind are product.
I guess you would say shindaiwa products are better than stihl too because yes you get a 7 day free trial or take it back to your dealer.I guess echo is too with there 5 year warranty. Its all just for marketing purposes it has no meaning quality wise.

umm...dude, Mantis has been doing the 1 year trial for a long time..possibly since 1980. I know at least 10 years.

Keep in mind the Mantis comes with free shipping, AS WELL AS a free Border Edger and Kickstand.

For the first time since joining this board, I have to say, all due respect, you're wrong here. The Mantis was originally designed for landscapers and nurserymen, and is used by them today. As to "toy gardeners," well I guess not everyone can have a couple acres of land like you. So we use what works best for us.

Also, for what it's worth, MANTIS offers a vast array of attachment for their Tillers, which should fit right up to the ECHO Tiller.

Border Edger
Planter/Furrower
Plow
Lawn Dethatcher
Lawn Aerator
Crevice cleaner
Wheel Set for Crevice Cleaner
Hedge Trimmer bars

As for being around a while...They were introduced in 1980, produced in Philly. They had the FIRST mini-tiller, using a Kioritz 2 stroke engine. Ive got one of the first models. They have been around 28 years this year, with over 1,000,000 units sold.

Ive used the NOMA version...you know the one with the Governed TC-200 Tecumseh engine...Many people say "ive used a mantis, made by..."craftsman, noma, etc etc" Only to find they didnt even use a copy...barely an Imitation.

Stihl has entered the market to try and steal some of Mantis' business...unfortunately those that have used a MANTIS will accept NO imitations, no matter how well marketed they are.

Does STIHL offer a 1 year "like it or return it" Guarantee?[/QUOTE]
Don't have to. Kinda like Echo offering a 5yr warranty. Only way to help them sell the s:censored: t

Latest posts

Back