Anyone have experience with the Stihl Yard Boss mini tiller?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go with what the pros use...the Mantis. There's a reason why the pros use them and not the Stihl.

Because the pros knows. (I meant that...)

Like you are a pro........................
BRAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

More pro's use the Stihl than any other.

MANTIS...The ORIGINAL. Accept no Imitations.

Mantis_tiller.jpg

Wow, that Mantis is really impressive. NOT
Tines that you can bend with your fingers because they are cheap.
Handles that are low and sweep back so you can hold onto while it is bouncing all around the place.
A strapping gutless 21cc Echo engine.BARF
A toggle switch that has exposed wires. Boy that will last.

Exactly the reason that I don't use it and run the MM55.

That john deere 316 is nothing but a kids toy, i forgot where i saw this but the only reason they paint them green is when they break down in the field the farmer won't be embarrassed.I feel a shamed i only have a 210. Now That troy bilt pony is one hell of a machine i'll give you that. O if you showed a picture of that stihl standing up straight you would see the gist of things. As light as the echo motor is the weight isn't going to help much anyway

I just cleaned the old Pony up. Dropped on a NOS 5hp L-head briggs, all new paint on the tiller, some new hardware...all ready to go.

Going to drop an 8hp Briggs on the Ariens, Electric start. That's a bad mofo tiller with the slasher tines. The original HH70 Tec. grenaded the flywheel magnets, and tore the coil and points right off the block.

The 316 is all restored up as well. P218G onan, 3 point hitch. 1500 hours, and it still works great. No problem pulling a loaded Tandem 48" disc.

I got other tractors though...

Mitsubishi MT-372 Diesel, Wheel Horse 310-8, Wheel Horse 416-H, Wheel Horse 702 (1962), John Deere 110-H (1967), Heckendorn 3 wheeled mower, Wheel Horse C-105, awaiting a Heart Trasnplant of a Kohler K532:censored:

Speaking of Hoffco....

Ive got this old Brush Cutter called a HOFFCO "WIZZ WITCH". It's got an 85cc Tecumseh 2 stroke, 1" Down tube, about a 3" clutch, Cast clutch housing, Cast lower end bearing housing...the whole thing weighs in over 35lbs:jawdrop: I use it to drop the corn at the end of the season..I just walk the line with the throttle lever about halfway out and all I hear is "zee zee zee zee zee zee" as the 10" blade drops the thick sweet corn stalks like toothpicks.

It's loud...It's Heavy...You stihl guys would wet yourselves:monkey:

They use to build some good product.

The Mantis: Purpose-built to be a cultivator.

Mantis_tiller.jpg

The Stihl: Purpose built to be a compromise.

attachment.php

Excellent pictures of exactly what I'm talking about with the engine placement. Mantis: over the tines, puts direct downward pressure on them to keep them more firmly planted in the soil. Stihl: way up the handle and angled toward the user, making the tiller more prone to bouncing, and much more awkward to use.

I guess I would take your posts more seriously if you actually used the tools.

Okay, now you're just being an ass.

It's obvious you've never seen a Mantis, let alone used one in person. The Mantis tines, which are patented by the way, are unbreakable in use. Hard use, not just normal use. I can't tell you the number of times I've been cultivating up against a driveway and accidentally bounced a tine pick up on the concrete. The tiller bounces up in the air, you land it back down in the soil, and you go about your business.

Repeat after me...unbreakable under the hardest use.

Yeah or if your really on a budget go by the ryobi combo powerhead and get the tiller attachment its a hell of alot cheaper

The use it for a day (if it lasts a day) take it back to home depot. Cheaper then renting.

Mosts users think they can bust roots, turn lawn into fine soil, dig rocks and use these tools like a tractor. Wrong...

Wow, that Mantis is really impressive. NOT

Are you smoking the Dooby?

Handles that are low and sweep back so you can hold onto while it is bouncing all around the place.

If it's bouncing, it is USER ERROR.

A strapping gutless 21cc Echo engine.BARF

More then enough power to shred Turf into prepped soil.

A toggle switch that has exposed wires. Boy that will last.

Boy it does. The wires are insulated, and the terminals are insulated. When the switch does eventually go bad it takes moments to replace...dont have to take a whole handle assembly apart or anything.

Exactly the reason that I don't use it and run the MM55.

Hey, if you like Inferior products, more power to you. The pro's are using MANTIS tillers...laughing at you and your compromise.

yes but the stihl comes with the wheel kit, in the end what this comes down to is echo or stihl. I cannot justify to spend more for a product with a echo engine than a product with a stihl engine. just curious though does mantis actually stand behind that 1 year trail. this wouldn't even be a discussion if tananka would of made a mini tiller built like their edgers.

Okay, now you're just being an ass.

It's obvious you've never seen a Mantis, let alone used one in person. The Mantis tines, which are patented by the way, are unbreakable in use. Hard use, not just normal use. I can't tell you the number of times I've been cultivating up against a driveway and accidentally bounced a tine pick up on the concrete. The tiller bounces up in the air, you land it back down in the soil, and you go about your business.

Repeat after me...unbreakable under the hardest use.

Okay now you are being an as:censored: hole. The mantis tines bend very easy, therefore the warranty. And yes I have used one and no it will not hold up as well as the Stihl.

Okay now you are being an as:censored: hole. The mantis tines bend very easy, therefore the warranty. And yes I have used one and no it will not hold up as well as the Stihl.

Mow, did you actually think about that last post before you hit "Submit?"

You're saying the tines are cheap, so they have to put a lifetime warranty on them? I want you to think about just how stupid that is, then get back to us with a correction.

If Johnny Cochrane were alive today, he'd tell you "If you're gonna be a twit, don't hit Submit."

there not unbreakable tines either, thats just a lie i saw one with a broken tine at the home depot tool rental. The whole unit is like any other consumer product built for the homeowner. Some one should just end mantis' 20 year history

Last edited:
I cannot justify to spend more for a product with a echo engine than a product with a stihl engine.

It's not a pro-grade Stihl engine, and the Echo is. My limited (1) experience with Stihl's homeowner engines is that they aren't very good.

I would take a pro-grade Echo above a homeowner Stihl any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

And so would professional landscapers.

Mow, did you actually think about that last post before you hit "Submit?"

You're saying the tines are cheap, so they have to put a lifetime warranty on them? I want you to think about just how stupid that is, then get back to us with a correction.

If Johnny Cochrane were alive today, he'd tell you "If you're gonna be a twit, don't hit Submit."

Hey Manny's Bi:censored: H, the tines are cheap. The unit was the standard in the industry until Stihl came out with theirs.

It's not a pro-grade Stihl engine, and the Echo is. My limited (1) experience with Stihl's homeowner engines is that they aren't very good.

I would take a pro-grade Echo above a homeowner Stihl any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

And so would professional landscapers.

Neither is the 21cc Echo powerhead. It is a consumer engine.

Latest posts

Back