Chainsaw carrier for my ATV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slackerjpt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey all, I was wondering what those of you who carry a saw on your ATV, use to secure it? I have seen some carriers on line that mount to the rails, and some who just tie it down. Any recommendations?

I just rubber bungee two saws facing each other on the back rack. The gas and oil and my water jug fit on the front rack.

Sam

I'm too cheap to buy a scabbard. I made one out of a cedar log. Pick your fav wood in a proper diameter, split it in half with your chainsaw, mount it to your rack(mine is on the outside rear of my drop basket), then plunge cut the saw into the wood to make the "custom" holder. Works like a charm.
I can't find my pic's...will post later.

There is a hole drilled straight down next to the plunge cut that also holds a scrench, because when I'm on the tractor I don't carry my "saw bag" or oil or mix.

Last edited:
After about 4 years vibration made the saw blade eventually cut thru the sides of the cedar widening the slot too big. Here is the "new and improved model"...a cutoff of 6x6 cedar from my log house build:

I agree, the log trick is nice. I think you could fit two into the log if you turned them with clutch covers together. You would need two slots, of course. :msp_tongue:

I use my gunrack on the front rack of my ATV. They slip with a good pull so I pull one all the way back towards me and fit the rear handle through it. The bar will fit into the other one. It stays pretty good thatr way.

Grizzly Peak Enterprises - Smelterville Idaho

Scroll down to their THE BYTE TYTE CHAINSAW SCABBARD

Philbert
Thanks for the reply.

Here is a pic of the one on my tractor:

I like it

I agree, the log trick is nice. I think you could fit two into the log if you turned them with clutch covers together. You would need two slots, of course. :msp_tongue:

I use my gunrack on the front rack of my ATV. They slip with a good pull so I pull one all the way back towards me and fit the rear handle through it. The bar will fit into the other one. It stays pretty good thatr way.

Ty Anthony

I was wondering, on an ATV, in the ruff and rugged hills on southern Ohio that I ride and cut in would the blade be prone to bending due to the weight of the bar? just wondering because I want to try it out soon.
Thanks, Nick.

I bought my dad a bow carrier for his ATV a while back, which also worked for saws as well. It is a clamp style, that holds tension on the bar. Pretty truck setup, I will try and find out who made it (since I cant remember).

I was wondering, on an ATV, in the ruff and rugged hills on southern Ohio that I ride and cut in would the blade be prone to bending due to the weight of the bar? just wondering because I want to try it out soon.
Thanks, Nick.

Yes putting a lot of strain on the bar and most Stihl bolts go into plastic
my thoughts would be to make the bar go right through and have a lump of foam rubber for the saw to sit on, that way the bar is just holding it there and the bulk of the weight is sat on bumper dawgs
and for rough terrain put a pin through that hole at the end of the bar stop it jumping out! (you could even use that to lock it) anti theft device?

Last edited:
Back