Husqvarna 55 Rancher ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vernon Tull

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've never owned a Husqvarna saw, but I see a place here locally has a really good price on a new 55 Rancher. Is this a genuine Swedish-made Husky or something of lesser quality? Thanks, gentlemen.

HiOctane said:
55 is a genuine Husky saw,very dependable,You can trust this model.Check for a cracked starting cover.

Seems a very specific problem to look for. You had one go missing?

Vernon Tull said:
I've never owned a Husqvarna saw, but I see a place here locally has a really good price on a new 55 Rancher. Is this a genuine Swedish-made Husky or something of lesser quality? Thanks, gentlemen.

Its a good saw for medium sized work. How much are they asking?

The 55 is a good saw for the money. Husky discontinued it in late 05 for the new 455. I have a couple of them. It reallly runs good with a 16" bar and a muffler mod, but has the torque to carry a 20" bar if needed. It won't be the fastest, but it will get the job done. How much are they asking?

Steve

Dan Forsh said:
Seems a very specific problem to look for. You had one go missing?
I have seen many times the cover was breaking in the ribs around the pulley housing itself.Huky upgraded it with a stronger one and new starter pawls,was still breaking here and there.Those saws were used by pro .

Yes, the fellow must be offering a close-out price just to move his last few units of the 55 (I didn't know the 55 had been discontinued). For the saw, carry-case, one extra chain, and a small bottle of fuel mix he was asking $309.

Its not a bad deal but you must consider that it is a saw that has been discontinued, how long are parts going to be readily available? Maybe it will not be an issue but you may want to compare it to a 350/353, similar saws but still in production so parts may be easier to obtain. I don't think you would go wrong with the 55 but just giving you another angle to look at.

Buck

While that may be an issue a couple years down the road, I don't think it will be for a while. The 55 has been made since what, the mid 80's? I know my dealer has enough parts in stock to build 10 of them from scratch. lol.

If a product has been popular for a while, parts will be available for a long time.

A new product may fail to become popular, and hence the parts may dry up earlier than for the older popular product.

Rancher farm boss

fishhuntcutwood said:
Are the 55 and 55R the same saw? Is "Rancher" just a badge like "Farmboss?"

I'm asking because I don't know.:confused:

Jeff

From what I know about them their is no difference between a 55 and a 55 rancher. They are the same out put and stuff from what I have seen. Just a cool name for it.

fishhuntcutwood said:

Jeff

Hey Jeff, Yes, it is a badge name. But there area few minute differences

The 55 Rancher came with 3/8 chain

the regular 55 came with .325 chain and a decompression valve. The 55 Rancher has a boss cast into the cylinder for the decomp valve, but it must have been a cost issue. These are the only differences I have seen. I have 2 55R's and 2 55's right now. 2 run and 2 need put back together.

Steve

fishhuntcutwood said:

Jeff

<b>See husqvarna 55 thread</b> 1/26/06
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=29103
<b>original question</b>
Hi All
What are the differences in a Husqvarna 55, and a Husqvarna 55 Rancher?
Mainly, are they the same bore size, is the piston the same?
Thanks For your help
Shadetree

<b>Responce</b>
Husky Nut, how long did it take you to do that search?

Don't get so upset shadetree. Husky Nut politely directed you to a thread that asked the EXACT same thing you just asked, the same way I'm politely asking you to settle down. If you supposedly didn't want to tie up the computer, you likely wouldn't be able to sit around and wait for replies you expected anyway. In less than two minutes you could have done a search, and read two good pages of posts on 55 vs. 55 Rancher. Perhaps you could thank Husky Nut for tying up his computer doing the search for you.

We don't want to tie up our computers either answering the same questions over and over just because you don't want to do a search.

Welcome to AS.

Now thats funnie :laugh:

Yeah Welcome to AS :buttkick: :deadhorse:

Last edited:
There has been a .1 kW difference in rated power of the 55 and 55Rancher at times - but I have seen exceptions, looking at different OMs available at Huskys web-site.
Rim vs. spur sprockets and .325 vs. 3/8" pitch has also been mentioned as differences, but I don't think that adds up completely either.....:givebeer:

Bottom line is that the difference is probably more about marketing than anything else.

Back