Justrite Type II Safety Gas Can

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
One of my 5 gallon plastic cans spout is now leaking. I always hated the spout. Even when brand new it was a PITA and its only gotten worse. I'm ready for something different.

I'm now thinking to purchase the Justrite can. For those with this can upgrade, any downside to its use and does it last?

139234-lrg.jpg

My FIL has some of those. They are sturdy but it seems the flex hose develops leaks. And I mean in the hose itself. Not the connection to the can. Not the end of the world but just annoying to me. I prefer these. IMG_2600.JPGI wish they came in metal. But the spout hasn't leaked on me yet and most other cans seem to within a year. I think I've had mine for about 2 years. Maybe 3. Can't remember lol

I'm now thinking to purchase the Justrite can. For those with this can upgrade, any downside to its use and does it last?
We were required to use metal safety cans in some work situations, and bought those. Good quality. Parts are available if needed. Comes with a warranty, so hang onto your receipt.

Like any metal can, if you bang it around it will dent; and if you leave it in the rain, or in wet places, it will rust. Take care of it and it will last.

The nozzle comes in a couple of different diameters, so make sure that you get the smaller diameter one if you ever want to use it for a car with a lead-free gas restrictor.

Philbert

I was looking at those this morning. If I was extended on my monthly budget I'd have gone that route.

A replacement "old style" spout for plastic cans is available from TSC and the usual online vendors for around ten dollars. The new style spouts seem to have heavily spring loaded mechanisms which are difficult to use and often result in spilling, at least in my experience.
View attachment 642941

Good tip on the hose size. In the past the old can with the much hated spout would be aided with a funnel. Lots of gas down the side of the vehicle. I ordered the can with the 5/8 hose -- Justrite 7250120.

We were required to use metal safety cans in some work situations, and bought those. Good quality. Parts are available if needed. Comes with a warranty, so hang onto your receipt.

Like any metal can, if you bang it around it will dent; and if you leave it in the rain, or in wet places, it will rust. Take care of it and it will last.

The nozzle comes in a couple of different diameters, so make sure that you get the smaller diameter one if you ever want to use it for a car with a lead-free gas restrictor.

Philbert

We originally bought the models with the larger hose ('bigger is better', right?) and had to switch them - that's how I know about replacement parts!

Larger diameter was OK for the 5-gallon cans we used to fuel generators, etc., but too large for the smaller fill openings on chainsaws, and when 'disposing' of stale fuel in vehicles. Also, separate, marked cans helped to distinguish unleaded gas from and 50:1 mixed fuel.

Philbert

5-gal Jerry Can

I like the onoff lever of the Justrite cans. Best price was WalMart at $59 with free shipping. Good too, as I have been think of getting one of these for several years. With the lawn tractor doing plowing/mowing/pulling a dump cart, and the newly purchased log splitter, I seem to be filling something with gas every few days, and that old gas can was a growing frustration.

Not the famous no spill !!!
All I have ever heard is they are where it's at baby. I need a new can I have an eagle but the rubber spout where it leaves the can leaks when you put any pressure on the hose. I don't think they make a good can do they ?

I use Scribner 5 gallon jugs. I’ll mix 3 gallons then transfer to one gallon metal containers to go in the woods and for storage.
To reduce the chance of screw up with many users, we used to have ONLY unleaded gas in the 5 gallon cans, and ONLY 50:1 mix in the 1 gallon cans, along with clear labels. A little easier if working by yourself, or a small crew, instead of a stream of volunteers!

Philbert

To reduce the chance of screw up with many users, we used to have ONLY unleaded gas in the 5 gallon cans, and ONLY 50:1 mix in the 1 gallon cans, along with clear labels. A little easier if working by yourself, or a small crew, instead of a stream of volunteers!

Philbert
Volunteers? You have big respect from me my friend. I would rather herd cats.

I like the surecan but the smallest currently 2.5 gallons

Attachments

• 8989AED0-605B-4CE9-B231-07738C448764.jpeg
    8989AED0-605B-4CE9-B231-07738C448764.jpeg
    73.6 KB · Views: 11
Not the famous no spill !!!
All I have ever heard is they are where it's at baby. I need a new can I have an eagle but the rubber spout where it leaves the can leaks when you put any pressure on the hose. I don't think they make a good can do they ?

It pours just fine. But when I fill it up and try to take it home, it weeps from under the cap. And it weeps badly.

I've checked everything possible. And I do mean everything. I bought my new, stopped at a gas station, put in 2 gals., sat it one the floorboard of my pick-up and smelled gas within 1/4 mile of driving.

Damn jug spit up all over my floor mats. It now sits in my garage and never goes to the gas station. I fill it up via a much older gas jug that works great.

Back