Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wanted P26 gas cap

Hi anyone out there know where I might obtain one of the above, failing that what other if any cap will fit.[ Partner brand maybe] Thanks in anticipation .Al

Hi anyone out there know where I might obtain one of the above, failing that what other if any cap will fit.[ Partner brand maybe] Thanks in anticipation .Al

I got one. PM me your address and I'll send it to you. I got a bunch of small pioneer stuff if you need anything else.

Nice old Pioneer you have picked up Lee!Did you get it that clean?Can you imagine packing that thing around all day.
Lawrence

Thanks for the nice comments guys.
Pete, It was pretty clean when i got it
but i gave it a bit more. Doesn't appear
to have seen much use. Just got to get
the top end fixed.

Lee

..... I think a 14-20, 3071, and 3270 piston and cylinder will work on this saw. They are the same style.

I have to disagree on the 14-20 and 3270 They use a different style jug. As noted earlier the part number for the cylinder on the 15-60 is 471729. The 14-20 saw takes a different style cylinder and is part #471424. The 3071 is different also and takes part #473566.

As for what is the same I agree the 3270 is the same but not the Super 3270. Also the 2400 and 2460 are the same.

Bill

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The Holidays chain measures out to be .404, isnt that a little big for this saw?

little possum; The Holidays chain measures out to be .404 said:
LP, your Pioneer appears to be a model 610, looks good from here, how`s she work?
The Holiday was built around the model 1100, a lot of the saws from the 60`s to mid 70`s ran .404 chain, they had enough grunt to pull it.
Pioneerguy600

Thanks Jerry. Ill have to double check the other one for the model, quite a possability that I goofed on the number.

And thanks for the info on the Holiday, it still needs to be cleaned up.

And neither of them have been put in the wood yet. Need to move a test log down to the shop.

Thanks Jerry. Ill have to double check the other one for the model, quite a possability that I goofed on the number.

And thanks for the info on the Holiday, it still needs to be cleaned up.

And neither of them have been put in the wood yet. Need to move a test log down to the shop.

That lil Holiday is one of the loudest chainsaws ever built, their high compression small bore engine coupled with that exhaust stack will make your ears bleed. LOL
Pioneerguy600

Poulan 455& Pioneer Farmsaw 2

I'll try to shorten a long story! Picked up $58 worth of saws. PP 455, Pioneer Farmsaw 2, 61 Husky, 630 S Jonsered, and a 360 Homelite. All UGLY! However with the exception of the yet to be checked Homelite all are mechanically sound.
I squrited some mix into the 455, it caught and pulled from the tank. Little carb adj. and it sounded good! The Farmsaw didn't have a coil but all the rest was clean. so I went through what is left of my Pioneer pile and dug out a coil that turned out to be bad. Went back to the 455, washed it and then restarted so as to dry it out. It ran CRAPPY! Dropping beats all over and not responding to carb tweeks. Had to be ignition! Off came the shroud and and I quickly saw that the winding section was loose on the metal frame. I also noticed that the winding part was the same as most 25 & 30cc Homelite weedeaters and had been slipped over the Poulan frame. Over time it had worked loose but was still throwing spark.
Well!!!! With a little work, some epoxy, and some steel shims cut from a pull start spring I was able to do the same to the Pioneer and repair the Poulan!
Both run GOOD! & I can't stop GRINNING!
Thanks for getting this far.......:cheers:.....Now it's Beer Time!
Bob

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum.

I just inherited an old Pioneer 1073. It is in pretty good shape and has not seen much use over the years. She runs lke a champ, but the chain couldn't cut through soft butter.

I was told someone who "knew what they were doing" sharpened it, and it was never the same after.

I'd like to throw a replacement chain on it, any suggestions for a good chain?

The only one store around carries oregon chains. Any good? Not doing any serious cutting with it, just want to have a good sharp chain for cutting large diameter branches and small trees.

Any info on this saw would be great!!!

DSCF5017.jpg

DSCF5016.jpg

DSCF5013.jpg

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum.

I just inherited an old Pioneer 1073. It is in pretty good shape and has not seen much use over the years. She runs lke a champ, but the chain couldn't cut through soft butter.

I was told someone who "knew what they were doing" sharpened it, and it was never the same after.

I'd like to throw a replacement chain on it, any suggestions for a good chain?

The only one store around carries oregon chains. Any good? Not doing any serious cutting with it, just want to have a good sharp chain for cutting large diameter branches and small trees.

Nice little 1073 you got there, Oregon chain would do nicely on that saw, make sure what pitch and gauge chain is on it when you get a replacement and it should cut very well.
There are IPL`s and repair manuals available on this thread by looking up fellow member Petesoldsaw. On his sig line there are links to the IPL`s and manuals for most of the Pioneer saws.
Pioneerguy600

Last edited:
Pioneer P28 vs P28E

Just picked up a P28E and wonder what is different than the P28. My P28 has a Chain Brake assy while the P28E has a fixed hand guard in front of the handle. I assume that the "E" stands for "electronic". Can anyone point out the differences etc. Image 4126 is the P28E. Thx Goball

Last edited:
Hi all,

CoombsGuy,

Take care of that air filter cover! They are very hard to find in that condition. If you wouldn't mind could you post a zoomed in pic of the 1073 label? I am slowly restoring one of these and a P25 and decals are shot. A few guys on here know how to make new ones but you need a good example. Yours is perfect.

:cheers:

Brian

Nice little 1073 you got there, Oregon chain would do nicely on that saw, make sure what pitch and gauge chain is on it when you get a replacement and it should cut very well.
There are IPL`s and repair manuals available on this thread by looking up fellow member Petesoldsaw. On his sig line there are links to the IPL`s and manuals for most of the Pioneer saws.
Pioneerguy600[/QUOTE]

Ok perfect. It has a Pioneer 3/8 50 on it.

Thanks for the info about the repair manuals!

CoombsGuy,

Take care of that air filter cover! They are very hard to find in that condition. If you wouldn't mind could you post a zoomed in pic of the 1073 label? I am slowly restoring one of these and a P25 and decals are shot. A few guys on here know how to make new ones but you need a good example. Yours is perfect.

:cheers:

Brian

Hi Brian,

I will do that for you tonight. I'll take a nice close up clear shot of it.

No sparks out of my newly acquired P-61. Anyone here ever have a flywheel de-magnetize? The thing seems awful weak pulling the coil in when setting the air gap. Missing fin on there too. I need

P-61 coil
P-61 Flywheel

You guys are the experts, but I think P-62 and 655 stuff will work also.

Yes, I already checked for spark with the grounding wire off, and a test lead right on the stud at the coil. The coil has a small deformation on the back, so I think it is dead.

I have LOTS to trade, but most of it is modern.

No sparks out of my newly acquired P-61. Anyone here ever have a flywheel de-magnetize? The thing seems awful weak pulling the coil in when setting the air gap. Missing fin on there too. I need

P-61 coil
P-61 Flywheel

You guys are the experts, but I think P-62 and 655 stuff will work also.

Yes, I already checked for spark with the grounding wire off, and a test lead right on the stud at the coil. The coil has a small deformation on the back, so I think it is dead.

I have LOTS to trade, but most of it is modern.

The P61 uses a different coil than the P62 and 655. I believe the flywheels are the same, but the coils have different mounts. Is your coil blue?

Back