Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any good tips for cleaning gunk outta the fuel tank?

The 600 had fire the other day, but was arcing around the ceramics and biting me on the finger. Pulled it apart, cleaned the sawdust/oily residue away, Dad cleaned the points, and now the saw doesnt have fire :confused:

I use the same product that we use to clean up varnished carbs, comes in a gallon can and will strip metal fuel tanks real clean, it will also remove paint so best to be careful when using it. Clean those points real good and gap them .020 then check for spark, if there is none then I would check the kill switch, it needs to be in the down position to run on a 600 series saw.
Pioneerguy600

IMG_0096.JPG

Pioneerguy600

Pioneer 600

Haven't used it for years but we used to use a product made by GUNK for cleaning carbs. I think it's still available.

Check the high tension lead by checking for continuity from the plug end to the laminations or small wire coming out of the coil. You may have disturbed the electrical connection between the lead and the the HT coil. Also possible that the points are not opening/closing or the LT wire to the points is grounded.

Pioneer Ignition Switch

Almost all the Pioneer saws I have are up for run. Except the P35. The switch on that one is down to start. I would have to think they would have changed that before or shortly after a production run. That saw also had a new design for the choke that included a half choke position.

Feel a bit lost!

I have been quite busy lately and have not had any real time to check out AS,feel kinda lost and not in the loop.Good to see some action on the Pioneer thread as it kinda hit the wall awhile ago. daddy66 (Chris) nice Pioneer you scooped up there.I tried to post pics on the site once here and have not tried again.Will put up a thread way back but have yet to follow it.I use Photobucket it takes a bit of time ,maybe because our computer is a little on in years.Also not sure how long your pictures stay on here when downloaded from Photobucket.Anyone know?
It's also a pain when you lose your reading glasses and have a real hard time seeing the keyboard.Right now I'm wearing a pair of saftey glasses that have a bifocal for close up,very handy but you look real strange using them in the house. LOL
Lawrence

Last edited:
Took a long time to figure out the pic's Lawrence. Will gave me a lot of help, and we figured out a couple of tricks. I think Photobucket pics do dissapear but i don't know how long they stay. I just downloaded the windows image resizer and its really easy once you get onto it.

I am really happy with the p41, it needed some minor tuning but works great now. Dollar store reading glasses are the best for me,i lose mine all the time....

Took a long time to figure out the pic's Lawrence. Will gave me a lot of help, and we figured out a couple of tricks. I think Photobucket pics do dissapear but i don't know how long they stay. I just downloaded the windows image resizer and its really easy once you get onto it.

I am really happy with the p41, it needed some minor tuning but works great now. Dollar store reading glasses are the best for me,i lose mine all the time....

Ya, glad you got it going. Photobucket pics will stay as long as they are in your account there and are active, I think Photobucket accounts become inactive if you don't use them for a certain period of time, then the pics will be gone.

Thanks for the tip Will!
daddy66 Chris good to hear the P41 is up and running! I have two pairs of glasses coming they won't be in till Thursday or Friday.I went and picked up a pair of readers from the drugstore, after wearing them for an hour I had a rip roaring headache and they were supposedly the same strength as what is on my prescription glasses.
Lawrence

anybody

i had a few questions for any body who mite know the awnsers. i have 2 pioneer p61-ex's and 1 p62 first ? is what does all that mean, #2 ? what are the cc's of the engines and what bar should i be running on it and final ? where can i find service manuals for these they all run great and are still in use but it would be nice to know a little more about them.
thanks

Another odd Pioneer to the collection

I picked up this old Pioneer 1560 Geardrive.
I have never seen one so i had to grab it.
It was an ebay buy it now. So i feel a bit lucky.
Although it is low on compression do to some
foreign object got in the cylinder. The top of the piston
has been beat up a bit. So i am looking for a piston
and cylinder. The saw appears to have seen very little
use. Bar plates have no wear and the paint behind
the chain isn't even worn off. Here are some part numbers
i will need if anyone can help. They might be the same as
other models.

Piston 471901, cylinder 471729, rings 471736,
wrist pin bearing 428780.

Thanks Lee

Pioneer1560005.jpg

Pioneer1560006.jpg

Pioneer1560007.jpg

Pioneer1560008.jpg

Used and new Pioneer parts

Anderson Chainsaw Performance has quite a bit of used and new old stock Pioneer parts. There good to deal with. I think a 14-20, 3071, and 3270 piston and cylinder will work on this saw. They are the same style.

Last edited:
other models.

Thanks Lee

Pioneer1560005.jpg

Pioneer1560006.jpg

Pioneer1560007.jpg

Pioneer1560008.jpg

Lee that thing is pretty sweet. Shame it needs some stuff but im sure you will get it sorted out. :cheers:

other models.

Thanks Lee

Pioneer1560005.jpg