Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had two of those flywheels go bad with no obvious reason. Mike

Yeah, I think this one is bad too. It is just REALLY weak pulling the coil over to set the gap. I can feel a little bit of a bump when pulling it over with no spark plug in, but not nearly as much as some of my other saws.

OK, so any of you Pioneer guru's know which other saws have F/W's that will work? Probably several.

Them blue coils are one of the hardest parts to find for the big Pioneers. I don't have any spares at this time. I may have a flywheel though. Flywheels from a P50/P51/P60/P61 are all the same. It may take me a day or 2 to check on the flywheel.

I'll try to shorten a long story! Picked up $58 worth of saws. PP 455, Pioneer Farmsaw 2, 61 Husky, 630 S Jonsered, and a 360 Homelite. All UGLY! However with the exception of the yet to be checked Homelite all are mechanically sound.
I squrited some mix into the 455, it caught and pulled from the tank. Little carb adj. and it sounded good! The Farmsaw didn't have a coil but all the rest was clean. so I went through what is left of my Pioneer pile and dug out a coil that turned out to be bad. Went back to the 455, washed it and then restarted so as to dry it out. It ran CRAPPY! Dropping beats all over and not responding to carb tweeks. Had to be ignition! Off came the shroud and and I quickly saw that the winding section was loose on the metal frame. I also noticed that the winding part was the same as most 25 & 30cc Homelite weedeaters and had been slipped over the Poulan frame. Over time it had worked loose but was still throwing spark.
Well!!!! With a little work, some epoxy, and some steel shims cut from a pull start spring I was able to do the same to the Pioneer and repair the Poulan!
Both run GOOD! & I can't stop GRINNING!
Thanks for getting this far.......:cheers:.....Now it's Beer Time!
Bob

Hello Bob;
Good to see you again. I do not understand what you did to get the Pioneer running. Can you post a few pics and explain how you made a coil?, if I understand what you are saying. I only care about the Pioneer for now.
Is the Wildthing still running? Memories of good times.
Lou

Hi all I'm brand new to this sight and the fix up old chainsaws game. I'm here because I bought an old pioneer 1120 at a yard sale for two bucks. I cant get it to run for long but it will fire and turn over. I have little experience with such things but it sounds like fun. I think the saw is not getting gas but if I squirt a little gas mix in the fuel line it will fire for a couple of seconds. So I don't think its junk. Also interesting is I cant pump the fuel mix with the primer the primer goes in and out fine but no fuel comes from the tank. I blew compressed air back through the fuel line so I don't think the line is plugged but I really don't know. so two questions

Is this saw worth fixing or was that model trash?

Where should I start?

Thanks

Hi all I'm brand new to this sight and the fix up old chainsaws game. I'm here because I bought an old pioneer 1120 at a yard sale for two bucks. I cant get it to run for long but it will fire and turn over. I have little experience with such things but it sounds like fun. I think the saw is not getting gas but if I squirt a little gas mix in the fuel line it will fire for a couple of seconds. So I don't think its junk. Also interesting is I cant pump the fuel mix with the primer the primer goes in and out fine but no fuel comes from the tank. I blew compressed air back through the fuel line so I don't think the line is plugged but I really don't know. so two questions

Where should I start?

Thanks

Here's some info from ACRE's website:

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...b701230877545a3c88256b000010a4c4?OpenDocument

well,

It looks as if the flywheel is OK. I decided to do a little "research." I happen to have several pieces of power equipment here..... The Stihl -1300 coil looked like it might be adaptable to the P-61. Things are early on in the process, but I got it to spark to a pretty low RPM, and it fits behind the cover. Now to make a mount plate and get the timing issues worked out. I'll have some pics as we go. That -1300 coil is one of the most common Stihl ones, and it is not rev limited. Hopefully this will be a good fix for the Pioneer crowd.

Hi Lou!

Hi Lou! Really nice to hear from you & I do remember your Pioneer and also being my backup wrench on that Homelite carb! The Wildthing is still going strong and got quite a work out at our last GTG. Missed you at the last couple.....Hope all is well!
The first picture is of the Pioneer coil and a laminated frame from a Homelite (the pioneer frame is in the Farmsaw 2)
Second is of a complete Homelite unit and a detatched coil
Third is the detatched coil slipped over the frame. From here it gets the epoxy, is positioned and shimmed for tightness. It was really a pretty simple fix. ........ Bob

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Missed you at the last couple of GTG's......

well,

It looks as if the flywheel is OK. I decided to do a little "research." I happen to have several pieces of power equipment here..... The Stihl -1300 coil looked like it might be adaptable to the P-61. Things are early on in the process, but I got it to spark to a pretty low RPM, and it fits behind the cover. Now to make a mount plate and get the timing issues worked out. I'll have some pics as we go. That -1300 coil is one of the most common Stihl ones, and it is not rev limited. Hopefully this will be a good fix for the Pioneer crowd.

That would be great if it works out! Take pics and keep us posted. :cheers:

I remember JJ said a certain Homie coil was or was almost the same as the Pioneer.

That would be great if it works out! Take pics and keep us posted. :cheers:

I remember JJ said a certain Homie coil was or was almost the same as the Pioneer.

Pics you say???

OK, if you insist.

Exhibit "A" is the coil mounted by one tab. Gap is about .040 on the laminations, so I'm going to have to open the mount hole on the coil up by about .025"

attachment.php

Exhibit "B" is from above. Those washers are the stock Stihl ones from the coil mount. Probably going to have to make the plate out of 3/32" steel. I was thinking aluminum, but I think steel will be less prone to cracking. The coil is not exactly centered on the magnets on the flywheel, but it sparks fine. It will have to be spaced out. If you bolt it directly to the post, the cylinder fins will have to be relieved. I do NOT want to do that if I can help it.

attachment.php

This just shows the vacant holes. For now you get to imagine the bracket I'll have to make. Then I can remove the flywheel, pull the key, and get to indexing the thing where I want it. Maybe not as elegant as a replacement coil, but very functional and a lot easier to find.

attachment.php

I found the post JJ made on the coil.

After a quick ebay search.... they may be as hard to find as the Pioneers. :monkey:

This changes things considerably..... I have a non-running 410 here now. Bet I have a running P-61 by tomorrow.

CoombsGuy,

Take care of that air filter cover! They are very hard to find in that condition. If you wouldn't mind could you post a zoomed in pic of the 1073 label? I am slowly restoring one of these and a P25 and decals are shot. A few guys on here know how to make new ones but you need a good example. Yours is perfect.

:cheers:

Brian

Here you go Brian.

Let me know if these work for you. I couldn't take a dead on straight shot of it, as the gold refletive part of the decal would show the reflection of the camera.

DSCF5001.jpg

DSCF5002.jpg

Here you go Brian.

Let me know if these work for you. I couldn't take a dead on straight shot of it, as the gold refletive part of the decal would show the reflection of the camera.

Bonus! These are great resolution and clarity. I can use the relative scale of the molded area in the cover to size everything and the photos for color reference. Thanks again, pics are now safely archived away.

:cheers:

Where should I start?

Thanks

I personally would start with the carb. Every old saw (except one) that I have resurrected needed a carb kit because they are always all full of crap and the diaphragms are often stiff. Rebuilding the carb is about $10 for most Tillotson's in my experience (which is not very broad on this subject). Not sure about the primer but from an engineering point of view it sounds like there is an air leak in the path maybe? I am sure one of the Gurus will chime in on your 1120 soon.

If your 1120 is anything like 99% of the other ones I have seen then the diaphragm in the primer pump has disintegrated and is no longer serviceable. The diaphragms are very scarce for these pumps. The saws can be changed over to a choke style carb and the primer pump is no longer needed.
Pioneerguy600

Back