036 thought i picked up a nice one

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodchuckr

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Picked this up last week, thought it would be decent. Pull cord drop test seemed decent, started first pull. Original owners kid had it, looks pretty much unmolested. Actually idles and runs well, chain was messed up bad so power wise not sure. Maybe someone has a good done up cylinder they don’t need anymore?

Attachments

• CEC02EE0-E3CB-462A-8962-4960B7FFAE4A.jpeg
    CEC02EE0-E3CB-462A-8962-4960B7FFAE4A.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 2D8F9F92-27BF-4F72-BDE6-7C0FC1865EDA.jpeg
    2D8F9F92-27BF-4F72-BDE6-7C0FC1865EDA.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • CBFA3D4E-FEBE-46D0-B43C-6FCF2E1A755B.jpeg
    CBFA3D4E-FEBE-46D0-B43C-6FCF2E1A755B.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • F21BFA96-8CFB-40FD-9E03-3E2A4C6B3972.jpeg
    F21BFA96-8CFB-40FD-9E03-3E2A4C6B3972.jpeg
    277.2 KB · Views: 0
pretty messed up- be a good Idea so find out what caused it- streight gassed or air leak , trying to burn though logs with a dull chain and overheating it etc
Yeah, for sure.

Flocked Air filter has been cleaned wrong, mesh showing. Other than that, it starts and runs pretty good. Chain cuts hard left, it binds 10” in cutting, but cuts that far pretty good. I went over the chain and gonna try it some more, see if any issues show up. Eventually fix it up, was hoping for a non fixer upper.

if it's got 150psi I'd clean the cylinder up and put a new piston/rings in it. Also like mentioned above you do need to figure out what caused it in the first place.
I don't build saws, but I agree. 150 psi is good compression. I'm surprised you're getting that out of a cylinder like that. Hopefully that means that it can be cleaned up.

if it's got 150psi I'd clean the cylinder up and put a new piston/rings in it. Also like mentioned above you do need to figure out what caused it in the first place.
Are the Meteor pistons the top of the pile in the aftermarket selection? I see them on ebay with caber rings for a pretty decent price.

It could be pushing 150 because someone tore it up, dropped a newer piston and or rings into an uncleaned cylinder and sold it quick.
I found the damage when I pulled the muffler to see what one these have and see if it had a screen and if it had any accumulation on it. Maybe someone has a ported cylinder they want to get rid of. I’d like to port it but just don’t have the time right now. I was hoping it was ready to work.

Attachments

• 8F74A29F-3E21-4AE7-98FB-94D13770792B.jpeg
    8F74A29F-3E21-4AE7-98FB-94D13770792B.jpeg
    193.4 KB · Views: 0
I'd be willing to bet that that cylinder will be usable after an acid clean.
Stihl cylinder wall are incredibly resistant to damage if straight gassed or run too lean.
I've been really happy with Meteor pistons I've used to rebuild saws.

036 is my favorite firewood saw.

I got my second one free, in condition like yours. Cylinder cleaned up, I rebuilt it with NOS OEM parts. Do a search all the rebuild was posted here with pictures.

036 piston scored.jpeg036 cylinder ex cleaned.jpegfreebee036.jpg

Manuals attached

1 036 in 20%22 ash.png

Attachments

• 036 tech bull 1.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • Stihl 036 IPL.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 036 service manual.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
I found the damage when I pulled the muffler to see what one these have and see if it had a screen and if it had any accumulation on it. Maybe someone has a ported cylinder they want to get rid of. I’d like to port it but just don’t have the time right now. I was hoping it was ready to work.
That's why I bring a T27 and pull the muffler before I hand over cash. I had the same thing with an 036 years ago. Learned my lesson on that one.

Some sellers are funny though. One guy wouldn't let me so I gave him the t-handle and had him do it. They look at you all weird but if they don't do it, I start beating them up on the price.

Surprised it had that much comp though.

That's why I bring a T27 and pull the muffler before I hand over cash. I had the same thing with an 036 years ago. Learned my lesson on that one.

Some sellers are funny though. One guy wouldn't let me so I gave him the t-handle and had him do it. They look at you all weird but if they don't do it, I start beating them up on the price.

Surprised it had that much comp though.

That is why my favorite saws, are FREE!

Latest posts

Back