036 thought i picked up a nice one

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
036 is my favorite firewood saw.

I got my second one free, in condition like yours. Cylinder cleaned up, I rebuilt it with NOS OEM parts. Do a search all the rebuild was posted here with pictures.

View attachment 1186577View attachment 1186578View attachment 1186579

Manuals attached

View attachment 1186586
Thats what i picked it up for, firewood. Thank’s for the manuals!!

I got it for 200$ cdn so 50$ US. Lol. Even if I have to put a couple dollars into it, I’ll still be Ok. It isn’t all beat up.

That's why I bring a T27 and pull the muffler before I hand over cash. I had the same thing with an 036 years ago. Learned my lesson on that one.

Some sellers are funny though. One guy wouldn't let me so I gave him the t-handle and had him do it. They look at you all weird but if they don't do it, I start beating them up on the price.

Surprised it had that much comp though.
I am going to do that next one, and bring the camera too. It fooled me, holding the saw by the pull cord test was good. Then it started like half a pull and ran normal. I could put it up for sale and fool the next guy no problem, unless you tell him to pull the muffler. Lol

I am going to do that next one, and bring the camera too. It fooled me, holding the saw by the pull cord test was good. Then it started like half a pull and ran normal. I could put it up for sale and fool the next guy no problem, unless you tell him to pull the muffler. Lol
With that much compression the handle test would surely pass. Just goes to show it isn't a definitive way to check the overall integrity of a saw.

Yeah gonna see if it will clean up first. Looks the worst right at the top edge of the exhaust port, On camera.

Be careful cleaning it up. Don't use too coarse of abrasives and if using acid be sure to keep it away from port edges and any scores that may have went through plating.

If using acid grease will protect the ports edges, and rinse it with baking soda solution then water between applications. That's how I did the cylinder I posted above, finished it up finger honing with fine grit wet/dry paper and dish detergent.

Piston was butt ugly but cleaned up like a mirror.

DSC_0008.JPGDSC_0012.JPG

Acid won't be effective on transfer if it's still oily or on carbon. Use wet/dry paper first with detergent. Apply acid with a q-tip.

Thats what i picked it up for, firewood. Thank’s for the manuals!!

I got it for 200$ cdn so 50$ US. Lol. Even if I have to put a couple dollars into it, I’ll still be Ok. It isn’t all beat up.

It will be real easy to work on and worth fixing. Get a OEM gasket kit, it comes with seals and cheaper than seals alone. Put the seals in, they are > 30 years old.

Yours looks like an earlier one, non "pro" with early air filter, no decomp. The decomp that ya don't really need anyway on a 60cc saw.

I've got 2 036 and best fit seems to be 20" bar/chains 3/8 0.050.

There is an upgrade on the clutch drum/bearing. I had one go but no damages. If you change over you won't be able to use 3/8 picco/lo pro rim sprockets, but that would take a new bar/chain too. Some people like the skinny chain as less power needed, or with big saws milling.

If yours is fine just give the bearing a grease job.

clutchg upgrade.jpg

Be careful cleaning it up. Don't use too coarse of abrasives and if using acid be sure to keep it away from port edges and any scores that may have went through plating.

If using acid grease will protect the ports edges, and rinse it with baking soda solution then water between applications. That's how I did the cylinder I posted above, finished it up finger honing with fine grit wet/dry paper and dish detergent.

Piston was butt ugly but cleaned up like a mirror.

View attachment 1186821View attachment 1186822

Acid won't be effective on transfer if it's still oily or on carbon. Use wet/dry paper first with detergent. Apply acid with a q-tip.
I’ll be happy if mine looks like that when all cleaned up!

What are we finishing it with to make the new rings happy? 320?

It will be real easy to work on and worth fixing. Get a OEM gasket kit, it comes with seals and cheaper than seals alone. Put the seals in, they are > 30 years old.

Yours looks like an earlier one, non "pro" with early air filter, no decomp. The decomp that ya don't really need anyway on a 60cc saw.

I've got 2 036 and best fit seems to be 20" bar/chains 3/8 0.050.

There is an upgrade on the clutch drum/bearing. I had one go but no damages. If you change over you won't be able to use 3/8 picco/lo pro rim sprockets, but that would take a new bar/chain too. Some people like the skinny chain as less power needed, or with big saws milling.

If yours is fine just give the bearing a grease job.

View attachment 1186827
Not sure exactly what changes with the 036’s but it is a red lever, metal tag and has adjustable oiler. If it’s like my 026 I can’t keep up with all the differences.
I run a 20” on my 026, makes limbing so much nicer. I believe on your rebuild you said the clutch parts were off an 044, correct?

Not sure exactly what changes with the 036’s but it is a red lever, metal tag and has adjustable oiler. If it’s like my 026 I can’t keep up with all the differences.
I run a 20” on my 026, makes limbing so much nicer. I believe on your rebuild you said the clutch parts were off an 044, correct?

That is the OEM upgrade for the 036 Clutch. Might use same as 044 parts, check numbers.

Changes from small spline to medium Stihl rim sprocket, which then uses same rim sprocket size as many other brands. Same bigger bearing up to 066 I think?

Your 026 has same bar mount, 3003. If the bar/chain has same pitch 3/8" you can swap those. If the 026 has 0.325 bar/chain those are not bad on a 036, might cut faster but dull sooner. Just make sure drive/bar parts match up, bar/pitch/width.

Attachments

• 044IPL.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
I’ll be happy if mine looks like that when all cleaned up!

What are we finishing it with to make the new rings happy? 320?

New cylinders don't seem to have a cross hatch? I used 320 and 400. Start out with coarser, finger honing don't do much damage.

This is NOS Tecomec 038, OEM quality still an Italy made part from years ago. Not Chi-Com stuff

Attachments

• DSC_0099.jpg
    DSC_0099.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0097.jpg
    DSC_0097.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0098.jpg
    DSC_0098.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
That is the OEM upgrade for the 036 Clutch. Might use same as 044 parts, check numbers.

Changes from small spline to medium Stihl rim sprocket, which then uses same rim sprocket size as many other brands. Same bigger bearing up to 066 I think?

Your 026 has same bar mount, 3003. If the bar/chain has same pitch 3/8" you can swap those. If the 026 has 0.325 bar/chain those are not bad on a 036, might cut faster but dull sooner. Just make sure drive/bar parts match up, bar/pitch/width.
You read my mind, it’s pretty simple up there. Like reading Dr Seuss. Lol

I was wondering about the 026 and 036 using one bar/chain set up for simplicity.
Would you need pin number changes on one or the other if you ran the same chain on both? I just cut poplar and pine. Poplar is green/wet, still soft. Frozen, thats a different storey.

As for frozen wood being tough, in ww2 they wanted to build ships out of frozen wood chips and water, it was supposed to be very resistant to projectiles. Pykrete it was called.

New cylinders don't seem to have a cross hatch? I used 320 and 400. Start out with coarser, finger honing don't do much damage.

This is NOS Tecomec 038, OEM quality still an Italy made part from years ago. Not Chi-Com stuff
Nothing different done between Caber or regular rings, surface wise or end gap?

You read my mind, it’s pretty simple up there. Like reading Dr Seuss. Lol

I was wondering about the 026 and 036 using one bar/chain set up for simplicity.
Would you need pin number changes on one or the other if you ran the same chain on both? I just cut poplar and pine. Poplar is green/wet, still soft. Frozen, thats a different storey.

As for frozen wood being tough, in ww2 they wanted to build ships out of frozen wood chips and water, it was supposed to be very resistant to projectiles. Pykrete it was called.

If you have original small clutch drum, the whole drive rim/bar/chain will switch with a 026. The 036 upgrade clutch drum uses a different size spline, that other manufacturers do too (ie Oregon). That is the drive sprocket spline is different.

Stihl small rims are unique to Stihl. Med spline are same as others.

I hear using a 20" bar for reach, I don't reach down as well anymore, but my 026 and 028S saws like a 16".

Latest posts

Back