036 thought i picked up a nice one

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a soft spot for 9N's. My grandfather had one growing up. I can still remember the smell of the barn he kept it in. A mix of cut grass, grease, oil and leaded exhaust fumes.

Original owner had a Farm next door. I had helped him hay with that N when I was barely old enough to lift a bale. His son got killed in Vietnam and no one to help keep up the farm, he sold it to another neighbor.

When that neighbor was selling his farm our family got it. A great deal with many original implements too. He thought engine was shot fouling plugs. But it was the oil bath air filter full of crud and some water at the bottom, it was sucking that dirty oil into the intake.

I fixed it up and I've done all the upkeep since then, ~1985 40 years. Never had to go inside the motor except adjust the valves. By the time it's down on oil it's time to change it. Still 6V + ground electrics but it starts in winter when I move snow or skid logs.

It won't do all the things a newer tractor will do, but simple to work on, unlike new stuff. Usually with just the tools that fit inside the lunchbox size toolbox.

The Ferguson I got last year is much the same. A little more powerful OHV engine and better brakes. Still fixing stuff on that.

1 plowing 3.jpgTO20 side.jpg

You read my mind, it’s pretty simple up there. Like reading Dr Seuss. Lol

I was wondering about the 026 and 036 using one bar/chain set up for simplicity.
Would you need pin number changes on one or the other if you ran the same chain on both? I just cut poplar and pine. Poplar is green/wet, still soft. Frozen, thats a different storey.

As for frozen wood being tough, in ww2 they wanted to build ships out of frozen wood chips and water, it was supposed to be very resistant to projectiles. Pykrete it was called.

I think all the Stihls with the 3003 bar mount, use the same loops of chain with the same bar length/pitch.

The 026 and 036 will interchange rims if the 036 still has the early small spline clutch. Not if you upgrade the 036 clutch. Note if you put an aftermarket small spline Oregon rim clutch on either of the Stihls, Stihl rims won't fit and vice versa. The med spline Stihl clutch is same as Oregon.

The 026 is going to be happiest with a 0.325 chain and ~16" bar. The 036 3/8 and ~20" bar, but it will take to a 0.325 better than the 026 a 3/8. The 036 could handle the smaller chain with 1 more drive tooth than the 026.

How big are the trees you are cutting? Seen pictures of where you are but never been there. What species of pines? Poplar grows here too.

Where I am I cut mostly hardwoods that can be either small or pretty big, primarily for firewood, but have a small chainsaw mill too. Softwoods here are white pine and hemlock which can get pretty big. Not any use for firewood when I have a glut of hardwoods.. But they can be used for lumber too.

P.S. I have 026 manuals too.

Original owner had a Farm next door. I had helped him hay with that N when I was barely old enough to lift a bale. His son got killed in Vietnam and no one to help keep up the farm, he sold it to another neighbor.

When that neighbor was selling his farm our family got it. A great deal with many original implements too. He thought engine was shot fouling plugs. But it was the oil bath air filter full of crud and some water at the bottom, it was sucking that dirty oil into the intake.

I fixed it up and I've done all the upkeep since then, ~1985 40 years. Never had to go inside the motor except adjust the valves. By the time it's down on oil it's time to change it. Still 6V + ground electrics but it starts in winter when I move snow or skid logs.

It won't do all the things a newer tractor will do, but simple to work on, unlike new stuff. Usually with just the tools that fit inside the lunchbox size toolbox.

The Ferguson I got last year is much the same. A little more powerful OHV engine and better brakes. Still fixing stuff on that.

View attachment 1187853View attachment 1187854
9N's are hard to kill with only the barest of maintenence.

If you have original small clutch drum, the whole drive rim/bar/chain will switch with a 026. The 036 upgrade clutch drum uses a different size spline, that other manufacturers do too (ie Oregon). That is the drive sprocket spline is different.

Stihl small rims are unique to Stihl. Med spline are same as others.

I hear using a 20" bar for reach, I don't reach down as well anymore, but my 026 and 028S saws like a 16".
Does the upgrade med spline clutch set up fit the 026 also?

I put the 20” on the 026 and it just made limbing so much easier, it dosen’t make so much of a difference elsewhere that I can justify swapping out between 16 and 20 b+c all the time. For what I do. I picked up the red lever 026 for free that needs a piston, once done I can have a 16 and 20.

Yeah, the cylinder looks bad, but why? Is it scoring or aluminum transfer? If it's scoring, you can't just throw in a new piston and rings and get 150 psi. Dollars to donuts, some acid or sodium hydroxide or flap sanding followed by mild honing will surprise you.

I may have dated myself with that expression. Donuts might cost more than a dollar nowadays.
Yeah you don’t get much for a dollar anymore. Fingers crossed it will clean up.

View attachment 1187853View attachment 1187854
Spent a lot of time on a 35 Ferguson with the Perkins.. Think it was a 1960. Been rebuilt a couple of times, but pretty indestructible. Just wish the foot peddles went the other direction.

Does the upgrade med spline clutch set up fit the 026 also?

I put the 20” on the 026 and it just made limbing so much easier, it dosen’t make so much of a difference elsewhere that I can justify swapping out between 16 and 20 b+c all the time. For what I do. I picked up the red lever 026 for free that needs a piston, once done I can have a 16 and 20.

The 036 clutch upgrade uses a larger bearing and clutch drum that won't take the small spline clutch drum, the 026 used. I'm pretty sure a 0.325 rim drive will fit it the upgrade with a 9 pin rim, but the rims won't switch due to spline size.

The small spine rims will fit both 026 and 036, Maybe run an 8 pin on both or a 9 on the 036
Spent a lot of time on a 35 Ferguson with the Perkins.. Think it was a 1960. Been rebuilt a couple of times, but pretty indestructible. Just wish the foot peddles went the other direction.

Early Fergy 35's here had a bigger Continental 4-cyl gasser, than my Z130, I think a Z134?.

My 9N doesn't even have footboards, just footpegs!

I think all the Stihls with the 3003 bar mount, use the same loops of chain with the same bar length/pitch.

The 026 and 036 will interchange rims if the 036 still has the early small spline clutch. Not if you upgrade the 036 clutch. Note if you put an aftermarket small spline Oregon rim clutch on either of the Stihls, Stihl rims won't fit and vice versa. The med spline Stihl clutch is same as Oregon.

The 026 is going to be happiest with a 0.325 chain and ~16" bar. The 036 3/8 and ~20" bar, but it will take to a 0.325 better than the 026 a 3/8. The 036 could handle the smaller chain with 1 more drive tooth than the 026.

How big are the trees you are cutting? Seen pictures of where you are but never been there. What species of pines? Poplar grows here too.

Where I am I cut mostly hardwoods that can be either small or pretty big, primarily for firewood, but have a small chainsaw mill too. Softwoods here are white pine and hemlock which can get pretty big. Not any use for firewood when I have a glut of hardwoods.. But they can be used for lumber too.

P.S. I have 026 manuals too.
I used the 026 with a 16” for a long time and never had anything I couldn’t do. Here and there you would need to get creative at the base felling. I didn’t like the big poplars for firewood, to dam heavy. Got jackpine, yellow and red pine, spruce, balsam fir and white poplar. I just cut off my own property, which is mostly poplar and balsam fir, with a decent amount of spruce and jackpine, odd birch tree here and there. Balsam fir makes real nice lumber, drys real straight, low knots and my boiler loved poplar so I am quite happy. Lots of people will disagree with my lumber and fuel choices. What do you do with the chain for milling hardwood?

Back