070 - west coast saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wondering what HP specs are for these saws?
I think your question about the hp on the 070 is answered, the 090 was touted as having close to 13 hp, I don`t have anything in print from Stihl saying so, just what I have read on the internet.

The time line for these big frame saws is a bit difficult to nail down to just a year or month of when they first sold here in North America. Discussions have centered around 1959 to 60 for the early Contra saw and a bit later like 1968 - 69 for the 070 and 090 saws with the 070 and possibly the 090 still being made for the third world markets.They certainly were the biggest and toughest of all the modern Stihl saws intended mostly for the big West Coast trees in NA but they are widely used wherever big tree species are being harvested.

The first production Contras were manufactured on May 3, 1959. These saws were sand cast initially, but that only lasted until August 14, 1959. Afterwards, they were all die cast.

070/090 replaced the Contra/Lightning in 1967 or so. Possibly 1968.

The 070 is still being produced; now call the MS720. Only used in markets where emissions aren't an issue, like Asia. We have a member who can get you one new and ship it from Asia (Malaysia?) to the US.

are the 070's slow in wood? being kinda low in the HP dept. im reading 6.4 hp. I'm probably getting annoying as Im a broken record... would it be good for milling?...
the knockoffs look cool as well

are the 070's slow in wood? being kinda low in the HP dept. im reading 6.4 hp. I'm probably getting annoying as Im a broken record... would it be good for milling?...
the knockoffs look cool as well
The 070 would certainly have the torque for milling, but I like more chain speed when I'm milling. When ripping the chain doesn't really pull chips, just small, kind of granular, particles, so you want to get as many of them as quickly as you can--and it still isn't really fast.
The other disadvantage of the 070 and 090 is that, on most mills, you have to take the saw out of the cut to fuel and fill the oil tank. It isn't huge, but it gets to be a pain. Most modern saws have the gas and oil caps on the flywheel side which is the side that is facing up in the cut, so when you run out of gas you can fuel it in place.

That looks and sounds about normal for an 070/090. I'm thinking maybe the OP got some kind of mutant open port copy. It always surprises me why the Chinese don't just stay true to original designs. It would seem easier, more proven, and it is still copyright infringement anyway
Sure, and without the work put into making it run normally the copies are not very good.
I did use some OEM parts in mine but really just showing the OP it is possible to make them run.
Here in the Southeast it is HIGHLY unlikely to ever see an original 090 the type of cutting just didn't exist for it.

Back