West Coast vs. East Coast

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B-Turner

Have you tried harder tools? or freezing your tools?

That is interesting , yes the mineral content would have a lot to do with it. Some of the 150 year old , 12" lodge pole pine here cuts a little more like a mid-range hard wood. A real old Douglas Fir can put some whoop on a good chain in short order , while green Ponderosa Pine (A yellower white pine by the way it cuts) seems like it would cut with the chain on bassaquwards.

Veneer machines are amazing, I'm sure that the direction there cutting the fiber and speed there cutting at has a lot to do with how long the blade stays sharp, there picky as h3ll what they chuck up, I bet it is not there dumest guy that dose the buying!

Good point on the mineral content. We've got a few volcanoes that erupt every now and then, that stuff sure hangs around in the bark.

ShoerFast said:
B-Turner

Have you tried harder tools? or freezing your tools?

I spend a fortune chasing the tool thing. Harder, freezing (Cryo). The problem with turning tools (for my work is which is at the leading edge of what can be turned well) is that they have to be able to get really sharp (which rules carbide out) yet need to be able to take alot of abuse while cutting (which rules high carbon out).

So flutes and metals and heat treatments are a constant quest for me. Luckily sharpening generally takes only seconds.

tek9tim said:
Good point on the mineral content. We've got a few volcanoes that erupt every now and then, that stuff sure hangs around in the bark.

I never even thought about what Mt. St. Helens did to loggers.

Anyone that ever has tried to cut wood that has been sandblasted with something hard like aluminum oxide with anything besides carbide knows it can't really be done. As soon as the cutter touches the wood, the edge is gone.

Back