2024 garden season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those peas look fantastic. I planted 3 times this spring, and just could not get them to take no matter what. Honestly, this has been one of the WORST growing seasons I've ever had.
It's been crappy groing stuff here too. Hot and very dry July. Getting some rain now so hoping that helps.

Those peas look fantastic. I planted 3 times this spring, and just could not get them to take no matter what. Honestly, this has been one of the WORST growing seasons I've ever had.
I just got lucky this year.
Pretty sure the green water from the fish pond helped out.
And I'm convinced the Ocoee vines are beneficial, too. The flowers draw in lots of pollinators and any bugs that appeared went for the Ocoee and not my veggies - and now there's some critter eating the passionfruit! but, not bothering my tomatoes, peas, or squash.

passion fruit eaten.JPG
passion fruit.JPG

I have a new resident in the garden - a banana spider!
I used to see them all the time in the yard, but I bet it's been ten years or more since I've seen one.
I've been trying, but I can't seem to get a good picture of him.

banana spider.JPG

I have a new resident in the garden - a banana spider!
I used to see them all the time in the yard, but I bet it's been ten years or more since I've seen one.
I've been trying, but I can't seem to get a good picture of him.

View attachment 1195666

Never knew the name. Had to google it. I see them regularly in my patches.
1723025862694.png

used to have spiders here in the garden but area chems have them killed off now! Dumb ass was flying over yesterday dumpin **** on us AGAIN so good thing I was about done with the garden !
MIGHT plant a package of turnips yet---dont know since I dont eat them anyway. A couple friends do and usually come get a few.

used to have spiders here in the garden but area chems have them killed off now!
Yup. I'm thinking that's why I haven't seen any in years.
Dumb ass was flying over yesterday dumpin **** on us AGAIN so good thing I was about done with the garden !
:mad:
It's looking like all the protesting I've done has paid off, somewhat. The farmer who works the land north and south of me has changed his pesticide recipe and won't use 2,4-D ever again. That was my goal. Another BIG farm operation a little further south has changed their methods for the better also.
Don't give up Sonny! As long as they are contaminating you and your property, be a thorn in their side until you get the results you want. I also mail out a one page letter about the negative effects of 2,4-D to unintended targets. Three years in a row I mailed them, this year it was 120. The more people who are aware of the dangers, the better.
MIGHT plant a package of turnips yet---dont know since I dont eat them anyway. A couple friends do and usually come get a few.
Good luck! 👍

used to have spiders here in the garden but area chems have them killed off now! Dumb ass was flying over yesterday dumpin **** on us AGAIN so good thing I was about done with the garden !
Planted my turnips a week ago. Had a nice little shower and then 90's and they were up in 2 days. I only eat them when we make a pot roast. Picked the right size they bring good money at auction.

Planted my turnips a week ago. Had a nice little shower and then 90's and they were up in 2 days. I only eat them when we make a pot roast. Picked the right size they bring good money at auction.
Farmer Steve, always got the impression we were sort of neighbors.
According to my 5 gal bucket rain gauge, we only got about 2-1/2". (Craley-New Bridgeville)
Too little too late for my last patch of sweet corn (most of which were topped out by deer anyway).
The guy that used to farm my acreage would overwinter turnips to plow under in the spring.
April always smelled like sauerkraut.

Farmer Steve, always got the impression we were sort of neighbors.
According to my 5 gal bucket rain gauge, we only got about 2-1/2". (Craley-New Bridgeville)
Too little too late for my last patch of sweet corn (most of which were topped out by deer anyway).
The guy that used to farm my acreage would overwinter turnips to plow under in the spring.
April always smelled like sauerkraut.
I'm in northern York co.between East Berlin and Dillsburg. We got 5 inches Tuesday and a bunch more coming today from the hurricane. Worried about the wind today blowing over my last couple of patches of sweet corn.

Damn that's a lot of rain. Good luck with your corn Farmer Steve.
Up to 10 inches now since Tuesday afternoon. Rain supposed to end by 2 and then dry for the next week. With the ground so saturated the plants root system can't breath. Had some tomato plants die one year and cole crops another from saturated ground. At least that's what the guy from the extension office said.

Up to 10 inches now since Tuesday afternoon. Rain supposed to end by 2 and then dry for the next week. With the ground so saturated the plants root system can't breath. Had some tomato plants die one year and cole crops another from saturated ground. At least that's what the guy from the extension office said.

I'm in NE GA and the rain just missed by 75 miles or so to our east. Lucky.

Spaghetti squash just out of the oven. :)
A little olive oil, chopped fresh garlic, and a sprinkle of bread crumbs. Bake @ 350F for about an hour.
I'm going to freeze each one in it's shell, so they'll be easy to thaw individually.

DSC00403.JPG

Well, I posted a pic of my one row garden a few days ago, then the wind came. broke most of the corn over, I doubt I will even get any seed. The corn cant pollinate with the tassel laying on the ground. The only thing that kept some standing is the pole beans that have attached themself to the porch rail. Will try again next year I guess. Except for the pole beans, my garden is offically done for this year.

Well, I posted a pic of my one row garden a few days ago, then the wind came. broke most of the corn over, I doubt I will even get any seed. The corn cant pollinate with the tassel laying on the ground. The only thing that kept some standing is the pole beans that have attached themself to the porch rail. Will try again next year I guess. Except for the pole beans, my garden is offically done for this year.
That's really a shame. All that hard work.
Don't you have time to plant some more zucchini and squash? Maybe some sweet snow peas?
With the changes in the weather, our first frost may be later than usual.

I just checked and it's been about four weeks since I did my second planting and I already have squash.
https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/2024-garden-season.371677/page-19#post-8270359

You have two months before the first usual predicted frost.
Go for it!

I did plant more squash, deer ate it. My pot taters are coming back, but its probably to late now for a second crop. I have some thinning to do, just waiting on cooler weather. We canned 12 qts of mater juice this week, probably will can some maters for soups. Looking forward to apples, we will dehydrate some and freeze a few. Pears will be ripening in sept. I dont know what kind of pears they are, hard as a rock right now, but when they turn ripe, yum yum.

Back