28" Bar On A 372?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YUKON 659

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I took down a "huge" willow tree this past weekend. The guy I removed it for said he measured the "stump" at 14' 8" in circumference, which works out to about a 58" diameter. I just ordered a 28" Oregon Power Match bar and a skip tooth chain for my 372 to finish the job. I was just wondering how you guys thought the 372 will pull this bar and chain combo?

Jeff

It should do fine... I have seen several guys run up to a 32" bar on the 372xp. It sounds like this will only be used occasionally so you'll be fine. Picture shows 32" bar on a 372xp...

Jeff

You will get by with a 28 inch bar and semi skip chain if you have just have limited work to do that way. I would not buy such a combination for 28 inch bar work on a day in, day out professional basis.

The 372 I am assuming is very similar to my 2171 which can be taxed at times with a 24 inch bar (that is in hard hickory and oak). Eighty to 95 ccs would be better suited.

Now I am referring here to professional level performance, not just getting by. Just watch now, someone will probably come along and tell you you can do this with an 026.

I agree with Tony on this. Your 372 (stock?) will pull that skip tooth chain thru willow ok, but I think the 372's limits is at 24". I would go to a 288 or better to run a 28" bar. It don't matter much though. If your like the rest of us, when the 372 wears off there are more saws and more bars...... and bar/chain como's.

Mike, I opened the muffler up on it, so it's a little better than stock. You guys are right....limited work with this bar and chain combo.... saw does a great job with a 20" bar.

Jeff

Mike, I'm going to finish up the job this weekend. I'll try to post a picture. My daughter just got a digital camera....see what I can do.

Jeff

Tony,
Your wrong about the 026. I have an 009 specially fitted to a 59" Stihl bar. Works just fine. Gotta open the oil screw up a little more though....Rick

Hey Rick-

Hey Rick (MRYB) :D - You should post a point of reference here for that 36" bar I sold you for your 044 Stihl- the Stihl 044 and the Husky 372xp are just about the same in terms of HP specs... I knew at the time that you were only going to use occasionally and you got both skip and standard sequence chains.

So what do you think about this on your 044 Stihl? :confused:

Jeff
[email protected]

Dunno how they compare size-wise, but I ran a 27" bar on my 038Magnum (4.4 C.I.) for over 10 years. The 038Mag and the 044 are the same displacement.

Jeff,
Still didn't try it yet. Been busy. I'll try it over the weekkend.(Monday)
Gotta head for Chi-town...Rick

I have two guys here local...that run stock 2171's with 33"....only for big butts as the processor wont handle the big trees...but they are 3 years old...and still going strong....

generally the biggest problem..besides underpowered...(not that bad)...is when guys go limbing with them...and hit large limbs at full rpm..on the tip...cracks the crankcase between the bar studs...

these saws are best suited, in my opinion, at 24 -26" for our area...

Occasionally is the operative word... and oh yeah, keep your "tips up" (or something like that).

Jeff

Last edited:
should handle it just fine -i run a 24" full comp on a Dennis Greffard special edition 372 and cut oak and hickory almost exclusively. that softwood ????e should never be a worry. this saw pushes me out of the cut with the whole bar buried.....i would do the skip chain though on a bar that long just to keep the speed up.:blob2:

Sounds like you guys are talking stock saws.

My hopped up 372's will eat through most hardwoods at 28 inch bar length, and go through softwood like butter. They have no problem pulling a 32 inch bar either.

But, I agree, if the wood is smaller, running a 25 incher is primo, specially with a 2+ hp over stock screamer....

One of my logging friends has a 371 that pulls a 32" full skipper no problem in hardwoods all day long.You should'nt have a problem with a 28".

Later Rob..

Latest posts

Back