A red and black Husky 353

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sawtroll you cant switch handlebars from Jred to Husky. The handlebar (and chainbrake handle) is square to the sawbody on a Jred and angled 7 degrees on a Husky

On this "family" of saws you can, but it looks odd with the gray Husky parts on a Jred, the 5300 look like a better donor candidate.......

First one I saw was last fall at the Red Max meeting. When they broke for lunch I wanted to pop the top cover to see if anything else was different. Wasn't anything there to pry the top with so I used one of the pens that was on the table. Pen tip busted off and got ink on the saw and the tablecloth. Big freaking mess. Tried to wipe the ink off the saw with my thumb and just smeared it. Even bigger freaking mess. Nobody saw it, but I went and got bandaid out of the truck to cover the incriminating black spot on my thumb. :clap:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

:yourock::rockn::rockn:

I don't really see the need of the primer bulb on a saw like the 353 as it starts very easily without it however I guess that added it to streamline the 346 and 353 production so that almost all the parts are shared (save the p & c).

It isn't needed on any of them, but it is a nice feature when the saw has been sitting for a long time.

I can see that point. I just have a hard time getting past the automatic association I make between primer bulbs and cheap saws, i.e. newer homelites.

It will always be a more relevant feature on saws with small carbs, than on the ones with larger ones - and you aren't the only one with that association problem. :)

Anyone around here ported a 353? I'd think they'd smoke a stock 346XP, just like a ported 359 and stock 357XP. I know the 359s really wake up.

Ed did state that he did some years ago, and said that he got more power (actually faster cutting) out of it than both the 346 (OE) and the 5100S. He also said it needed more work on it than the others, I believe - his "normal" amount of mods didn't cut it..........

Last edited:
Say it ain't so Joe ..... I mean Spike

First one I saw was last fall at the Red Max meeting. When they broke for lunch I wanted to pop the top cover to see if anything else was different. Wasn't anything there to pry the top with so I used one of the pens that was on the table. Pen tip busted off and got ink on the saw and the tablecloth. Big freaking mess. Tried to wipe the ink off the saw with my thumb and just smeared it. Even bigger freaking mess. Nobody saw it, but I went and got bandaid out of the truck to cover the incriminating black spot on my thumb. :clap:

Spike,

Suddenly, a giant ink glob spoils the shimmer on THE GOLDEN SPIKE.

Say it ain't so,

ole joat

unfortuneatly i associate primer bulbs with cheap saws too....i really like the looks of that lil saw though, its real pretty. why didnt you just keep it brad? i bet it was the primer bulb huh?

Yup. It's called a Redmax 5300. This has been discussed before, but here's one for you to see, and a little proof that it is a Husky. It's my understanding that this is the same saw as the 346XP with a different P&C. Kind of like the 359/357 deal.

618859995_p549q-M.jpg

618860148_4pH3v-M.jpg

618860264_wRq5q-M.jpg

618860749_D6sKN-M.jpg

618860356_LrUmM-L.jpg

618860439_Ch5Wb-M.jpg

618860531_KifFZ-M.jpg

See that Husky logo on there?
618860616_e9pb6-M.jpg

Hey Brad
When you go back to your dealer look at the new 70 cc saw they have . I looked at one yesterday and it looks just like my 570 husky as well

Varmit

No. I'm sure that's way below dealer cost. They had one in stock that they didn't want.

I just got a great idea - buy it, put a NE346xp P&C on it, port it, and send it to me.

I'll pay what it takes (including your work of course) - in advance if needed (I trust you)......:cheers:

I really like the looks of that saw!

Last edited:
I made a comment on here one time...

unfortuneatly i associate primer bulbs with cheap saws too....i really like the looks of that lil saw though, its real pretty. why didnt you just keep it brad? i bet it was the primer bulb huh?

About primer bulbs belongs on trimmers,,,and I ate alot of crow since then....The ne346xp came into my life and such a joy to just crank 3 or 4 times instead of tryin to start the old mcc's..Yes,,it does make a diffrence,,and I'll never say a bad thing about em again....

About primer bulbs belongs on trimmers,,,and I ate alot of crow since then....The ne346xp came into my life and such a joy to just crank 3 or 4 times instead of tryin to start the old mcc's..Yes,,it does make a diffrence,,and I'll never say a bad thing about em again....

There is no reason to - they just save some pulling on choke when the saw has been sitting for a while (and reduce the chance of flooding it), and they can't do any harm anyway! :cheers:

Back