Advice about what saw is right for pairing with an MS462c?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkinGA

Reaction score
Hello, I’m new here.

I’m looking for some advice about what size saw would make the best pairing (smaller understudy) for a MS462c I recently acquired?

Before getting the MS462c, over a period of years I have owned an MS250, MS391, and MS362c eventually trading up into the MS462c I have now. Also had a MS193t briefly and a MS201tc.

I’m thinking I will set the MS462c up with a 24” TsuMura light bar and a nice semi-chisel chain. I feel like that combo sets me up to deal with most trees (oak hardwoods and pines) we have here except for the rare super large live oak (talking 200-300 year old tree here). I do currently still have the MS201tc I picked up used, but in truth I don’t climb, and that’s probably not the right saw for me.

My work is mostly storm cleanup, trimming/pruning around the house and work at our hunting lease. Downed trees, clearing blocked roads, cutting trails and shooting lanes on the club, etc.

All that said, what should I be shopping for to pair up nicely with the MS462c since that will be my big saw?

Mark in GA

MS261 would be a good small (50cc) saw. If you’re looking for something a little bigger I’d be taking a hard look at the MS400. Or you could just buy both and not have to worry about choosing one or the other.

I'd try to trade the MS201TC for the MS201C (rear-handled version). Light, strong, properly set up for ground work. It's my most-used ground saw. For anything it won't do, I'm happy to pull out the 462.

If you're looking for a 50CC saw, I still iike my MS250, but the 261 is only half a pound heavier for 25% more HP (at only double the price...).

Back