Another oil thread.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyolf

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Being that I've never started an oil thread...

I needed to see an MSDS today, and found some for the mix oil I use while I was at it. The bottler (Citgo/Mystic) has recently begun changing their packaging, and has introduced some new products.

I have been using Citgo air cooled 2 stroke product, but when my last 3 quarts are gone I'm thinking of switching to the Personal watercraft/snomobile synthetic product. Looks like a winner from the MSDS:

Old oil:
Citgo/Mystic synthetic blend air-cooled OPE and snowmobile oils MSDS:

(Very similar to Echo powerblend bottled by Citgo)

Highly-refined petroleum lubricant oils
(CAS#: Various)
40 - 70%

Polybutene
(CAS#: 9003-29-6)
10 - 30%

Distillates (petroleum), hydrotreated light
(CAS#: 64742-47-8)
10 - 30%

Proprietary Ingredients
(Proprietary Mixture)
1 - 5%

New product is about $17/gallon:
Citgo/Mystik JT4 Synthetic PWC oil:
(Sno-mo oil is the same in a different bottle)

Highly-refined petroleum lubricant oils
CAS Various :
30 - 60%

Distillates (petroleum), hydrotreated light
(CAS #64742-47-8)
10 - 30%

1-Decene homopolymer, hydrogenated
(CAS# 68037-01-4)
10 - 30%

Polybutene
(CAS#9003-29-6 )
10 - 30%

Synthetic ester
(Proprietary)
10 - 30%

Proprietary Ingredients
(Proprietary Mixture)
1 - 5%

We probably now know what most of the ingredients are:
Refined oils are natural and can be separated from old dinosaur bones, while the hydrocracked oils are a simple synthetic made, largely, by tearing down complex molecules and replacing some parts with hydrogen atoms.
some Butenes are used because they oxidize readily, taking some of the other oils with them in the process (smoke reduction). We know about the esters' ability to fortify lubricity, shear resistance, etc, as well as their ability to keep things clean. At the end is the 1-5% of proprietary products, which are undoubdtedly the additive package.

The only part that puzzles me would be the 10% Decene: I'm not particularly familiar with that one, except to say that at 10 carbons it's a fairly light oil, probably about like Kerosene. The "ene" tells us its an alkene, with a double bond somewhere, probably on an end, so is likely a fairly good solvent, but they seem to want a lot of it if they are using it as a pour point depressant, and I'm sure its expensive. It might have some implications with keeping a dye in suspension too.

In the end I'm pointing out that the MSDS is useful for more than just what to do if some dummy eats the stuff. Lots of useful info.

should be fine as long as the water pump and radiator are functioning properly. If your thermostat is more than a couple of years old it would be a good idea to change it just to be sure

But....i like these oil threads!!

Interesting, Eyolf. Thanks. :cheers:

I've been looking around for Citgo/Mystic products here, but have been unable to find any.

Isn't Mystic the one that has the purple dye in it? :confused:

Like a moth to a flame....... :laugh:

A hydrogenated 1-Decene homopolymer is a PAO, so that oil is somewhere between 10 and 30% PAO.

Had to look that one up. :D

Not sure if you mentioned it in the other thread, but it looks like the polybutene is used for low smoke and deposit control. It burns very cleanly, like other synthetics, and obviously enhances the performance of the other additives.

Also known as PIB's or polyisobutylenes. it's the polymers of butenes that are used for lubricants.

A C4 mixed olefin stream comprised of C2 and propylene and or ethylene oxides are used to produce the oil additives. The polybutene grades have viscosities ranging from 2 cSt to 40,500 cSt.

They are very oxidatively stable and leave little residue. PIB's and esters have the least sludge formation and oxidation products of any synthetic fluid.

Whereas large amounts of petroleum brightstocks have been used to thicken oils, the polybutenes require very little amounts to do the same thing.

Like PAO's and esters, they have very low toxicity and are used in cosmetics as well and food grade lubricant formulations.

From here http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...39238&Words=polybutene&Search=true#Post512246
Molakule knows his stuff. He's a Physics Professor and has been designing and blending lubricants for the Military and private operators for years.

Last edited:
Ray: that's the old stuff, I think the label (but not the product) is being phased out. That is the lesser-grade product, and I have had no trouble with it. Right now it's about $12 a gallon, $3.20 a qt.

This is the newer product (PWC):http://www.docs.citgo.com/msds_pi/663077002.pdf
and the snomo:http://www.docs.citgo.com/msds_pi/663077002.pdf.

Close looks will show that they are the same document describing differently-labelled packaging. The sea & snow product also has an analogue in an OPE packaging.

Back