Any Point in Getting Small Pro Saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Bunions

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
It took me 6 years to figure out my Echo CS-590, modify it, and turn it into a reliable saw that runs faster than spec. I love it now.

My other homeowner-grade gas saw is a Jonsered/Husqvarna CS2240. It's running well these days. Given my experience with the Echo, I wonder if a similar-sized pro saw would cut faster. Or is it possible to hot rod the Jonsered, which is supposedly a Husqvarna 435?

I don't really need another saw, but I do enjoy new toys.

We all like new toys. on this website it is called "Chainsaw Acquisition Disorder". No known cure.
the 2240 is a clamshell engine, harder to really hop up, like porting, etc.
Do your research, you might find a comparable pro saw in a decent price range. Find out info on it before you go for it.
It is fun to run a hotter than stock saw.

I have a very good Husqvarna dealer, and the other dealers here are awful. I would want a Husqvarna or, if Echo makes a prosumer saw similar to the CS-590, with a metal case, I would consider it.

The Husqvarna commercial lineup is vast. The CS2240 is about 40 cc's, but it looks like Husqvarna makes a number of 50-cc saws.

It would be nice to have something tough and light, no longer than 16", that really rips and takes mods well. My saw weighs around 10.5 pounds. I wouldn't want to go significantly heavier.

I would look at the older echo 400 in that range. Not a pro saw but locals love them.

I cant justify them when I run the echo 50cc mag cased saws. Their only mid 10lb range themselves.

One I fixed for local 400. Tree rolled on it.

Attachments

• e400bar.jpg
    e400bar.jpg
    67.6 KB
  • e501mm.jpg
    e501mm.jpg
    363.8 KB
Either get a 50cc pro saw or a 35-40cc light weight saw.
I find the 50cc saws light enough to use for tiny trees.
I do have a 42cc troy built saw I ported, it's quite light as it's based off a 38cc zenoah saw, it runs pretty good.

I just noticed the Echo CS501P. It's lighter than the 543XP.
It would probably be kind of hard to find a new 543xp. They discounted them and most likely sold them off at least for this market. As to the point of is there any point in the title. Look at the rear handle 540 mk3. It has two surfaces that are quite flat and ride against the back nicely if a strap is tied around the base of the bar and the rear handle. I can't say how well it takes mods but a guy on youtube shows what he does. I don't do performance mods and think it has a bit much pulsing at idle and compression on pulling on the rope that a modified one to me probably would be undesirable.

It would probably be kind of hard to find a new 543xp. They discounted them and most likely sold them off at least for this market. As to the point of is there any point in the title. Look at the rear handle 540 mk3. It has two surfaces that are quite flat and ride against the back nicely if a strap is tied around the base of the bar and the rear handle. I can't say how well it takes mods but a guy on youtube shows what he does. I don't do performance mods and think it has a bit much pulsing at idle and compression on pulling on the rope that a modified one to me probably would be undesirable.
It looks like I can get 50 cc's in around the same weight as my Jonsered. The 540 is a 39-cc saw, so maybe not a huge upgrade.

The CS-4910 is still out there for $380 with a 16" bar. I wouldn't want a CS-4910 if it had a wimpy coil, though. The CS-501P can be had for $560 with a thin bar, which sounds neat.

Web says the 501 coil is a different part with a higher price.

Back