Anyone run the black craftsman 55 cc???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one of the Black 55's and love it. If you are still wondering who makes it, MTD Southwest, Inc in Tempe Arizona. You should never have to put pressure on any chainsaw to get it to cut. If you want it to cut better, take the 5/32 chain off and replace it with a 7/32 chain. As long as you keep your chain sharpened and properly adjusted, you should never have to put pressure on it.

I'm a little confused. The label on the saw clearly states that the Black 55cc Craftsman is Made in Taiwan. The OEM spark plug in this saw says Jenn Feng Industrial, Taiwan. Where in the heck can one locate this mythical 5/32 chain on a Black 55cc Sears Craftsman? The Black 55cc Sears Craftsman comes factory equipped from the OEM with Oregon 95VP narrow kerf safety chain which requires a 3/16" dia. file for sharpening. The Operator's Manual and IPB for this saw also specifies Oregon 95VP chain. This saw is peddled in Australia under the brand label of "Talon". Did some idiot put 3/8LP on a used 55cc Black Craftsman? Are we talking about a completely different saw?

Last edited:
I'm still embarrassed that i even bought this saw!:blush: If anyone needs any brand new parts for this saw I have some. everything minus the engine! It was donated to an airplane. Also I don't think anyone can order parts for this saw as sears service shop wasn't able to!
I have brandnew pull start assembly, muffler, rear handle/gas tank assembly, air cleaner, everything but the motor itself like I said! Pm me and we can work out a deal!
I got these parts off ebay when i thought this saw was cool, then I bought a husky and My opinion quickly changed on this saw!:chainsaw: :dizzy:

why buy these parts? if you bought a brad new saw these are not noral wear and tear parts to be looking fr. wih that said why not fix your saw,you have the parts. oh and i smell a little lie in your story ,fell "only 18"" ,BS.

I'm a little confused. The label on the saw clearly states that the Black 55cc Craftsman is Made in Taiwan. The OEM spark plug in this saw says Jenn Feng Industrial, Taiwan. Where in the heck can one locate this mythical 5/32 chain on a Black 55cc Sears Craftsman? The Black 55cc Sears Craftsman comes factory equipped from the OEM with Oregon 95VP narrow kerf safety chain which requires a 3/16" dia. file for sharpening. The Operator's Manual and IPB for this saw also specifies Oregon 95VP chain. This saw is peddled in Australia under the brand label of "Talon". Did some idiot put 3/8LP on a used 55cc Black Craftsman? Are we talking about a completely different saw?

Just because the manual says that it came with a certain bar and chain doesn't mean that you have to stay with that bar and chain. You can use a larger bar and a larger chain than what came with it without effecting the safety of the machine. Any small engine repair shop should have the larger chain that will fit. My saw is a 2005 model and it was made in AZ by MTD for Sears. MTD also makes Troy-Bilt.

Wow, that's great information, thanks for sharing it. If you could help me out a little more with this, I'm looking at Bailey's chain page, and I can't find 7/32 chain. I can find 3/8, .325, and .404. Which should I get?

:taped:

If I were you I would go to the local small engine repair shop and have them cut it to proper length and install the chain. The local shops where I live don't charge anything to install the chain because they want to make sure it is the right length. Stihl makes a better chain but I will have to see if I can find the part number for you.

Wait a minute; what's that sound I hear? It's getting louder....

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH!!

:biggrinbounce2:

Wow, that's great information, thanks for sharing it. If you could help me out a little more with this, I'm looking at Bailey's chain page, and I can't find 7/32 chain. I can find 3/8, .325, and .404. Which should I get?

It must be that new top secret .219 pitch chain that Oregon is developing for Faber-Castell. ;)

I have seen this thread of and on and have never "admitted" that I have one of these. It is actually a pretty good saw for what I paid ($45) on ebay. It isn't the best saw I have by a long shot, but it works OK. I tad heavy and a tad underpowered compared to some other saws the same size, but I take it out on occasion and run it for a while. JR

LOL...I still have all them parts for this saw...everything but the ingine and carb....a long time ago I sent this saw back to sears for warranty work...they would not give it back and refunded my money. why?? Because they got in trouble for not meeting EPA regs....law suite!! This one my first threads i ever started when i joined back in 2005. Wow have a i learned alot from this site. Thanks to everyone that spread the chainsaw smarts!

Hey guys I was just wondering if anyone has and uses the Big Black
Craftsman 55cc currently being sold at sears? M/N 316.350840

I had one of the original units. P-O-S in my humble opinion. The carb was set too lean and the piston/cylinder soon got fried. (No, it was NOT straight-gassed).

I credit that Crapsman saw for leading me to the Promised Land of "Pro Grade" saws, blowers, trimmers, etc.

JQ

I had one of the original units. P-O-S in my humble opinion. The carb was set too lean and the piston/cylinder soon got fried. (No, it was NOT straight-gassed).

I credit that Crapsman saw for leading me to the Promised Land of "Pro Grade" saws, blowers, trimmers, etc.

JQ

:agree2:
I learned my lesson. Never again will I ever own a cheesy Sears Crapsman chainsaw. From now on it is Still, Husky and maybe Dolmar.

My Black 55cc Crapsman was a heavy and gutless wonder. It was way underpowered for a 55cc saw. The choke linkage was really flimsy and cheesy. Its anti-vibe is poor. I gave it back to Sears and got a Husky instead.

My Husky 445 46cc saw is much lighter in weight and is far more gutsy and powerful than my gutless Black 55cc Crapsman ever was.

For the same amount of money, or less money, one can buy a Husky homeowners saw that is far superior to any Chinacrap Crapsman. Why fool around with Chinacrap when one can receive much better value for their dollar.

Last edited:
Opinions are fine but the guy wants to get feedback from someone who has experience with this particular saw. Mabey this saw is what he researched and wants. Mabey it is his first saw and does not want to rock out a $500.00
saw at first while learning to use it. (don't forget the safety equipt.)

Not everyone needs a pro grade saw.
I have a 357xp cause I want it...I don't need it to cut my firewood and help out friends I just like the saw.

I had an 029 for eight years and it was a ???? good saw for my needs at the time, and guess what most guys here agree its not a pro saw...big deal it worked for me.

We should be trying to help new folks here with anwsering questions and not pushing them into pro saws right off the bat.

Just my 2 cents.

:agree2::agree2::agree2:

Well said! :clap::clap::clap:

They are no 346 Husky, but with a simple screwdriver muffler mod and carb adjust they seem to run OK. A decent looking one will bring $100+ on CL here. 55cc maybe a little more (except for the clown asking $500 for his black one....)[/QUOTE]

What is the screw driver muffler mod. JR

They are no 346 Husky, but with a simple screwdriver muffler mod and carb adjust they seem to run OK. A decent looking one will bring $100+ on CL here. 55cc maybe a little more (except for the clown asking $500 for his black one....)

What is the screw driver muffler mod. JR[/QUOTE]

Useing a screwdriver to puncture the muffler, instead of drilling the holes????

spare parts?

LOL...I still have all them parts for this saw...everything but the ingine and carb....a long time ago I sent this saw back to sears for warranty work...they would not give it back and refunded my money. why?? Because they got in trouble for not meeting EPA regs....law suite!! This one my first threads i ever started when i joined back in 2005. Wow have a i learned alot from this site. Thanks to everyone that spread the chainsaw smarts![/QUOTE

do you still want to part with the spare parts? I need some or all

LOL...I still have all them parts for this saw...everything but the ingine and carb....a long time ago I sent this saw back to sears for warranty work...they would not give it back and refunded my money. why?? Because they got in trouble for not meeting EPA regs....law suite!! This one my first threads i ever started when i joined back in 2005. Wow have a i learned alot from this site. Thanks to everyone that spread the chainsaw smarts![/QUOTE

do you still want to part with the spare parts? I need some or all

Yes I will pm you here this evening with pics of the oiler and the rest. Sorry been kinda busy this weekend.

spare parts again.....after many years of usage, i sadly need a spare part..the pump assy (9228-310208) someone who want to get rid of it? .....

Just in case someone finds this thread looking for info, the posts in other threads about this saw indicate that MTD stopped making chainsaws and did not make any (or very few) spare parts for their chainsaws.

spare parts again.....after many years of usage, i sadly need a spare part..the pump assy (9228-310208) someone who want to get rid of it? .....

If you have proof of purchase and complain to Sears customer service, there is a good chance of getting a refund of some (or most) of your money. When I complained to Sears about the unreliability of this saw and their lack of parts support, they sent me a Sears Gift Card in the amount of $150. Sears didn't even ask me to return the old saw to them.

I replaced the saw with a Husky 445. LOL!

LOL...I still have all them parts for this saw...everything but the ingine and carb....a long time ago I sent this saw back to sears for warranty work...they would not give it back and refunded my money. why?? Because they got in trouble for not meeting EPA regs....law suite!! This one my first threads i ever started when i joined back in 2005. Wow have a i learned alot from this site. Thanks to everyone that spread the chainsaw smarts!
I know this is a long shot, but I would like to get the complete Incredi-Pull assembly. Please let me know if you still have this part.

Back