Anyone run the black craftsman 55 cc???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My cousin has a 55cc Craftsman saw that he has been running for a little bit. Works alright for the casual use scenario. I guess its got some ass to pull through the apple tree he trimmed up and cut down. He does act like its a little weak in the torque department.

I have a new Husqvarna 353 (Not a direct comparison in engine size) but both run 18" bars.

We are looking to cut some wood here (He just got a downright NASTY cold/flu) soon. We are both interested to see how they run side by side, while I have no doubt the Husqy will out last the Sears... Its interesting how they perform in the short term.

You get what you pay for... But will 2 sears last as long as 1 Husqy (About what the price comes out to) or will it take 3 or 4 saws to keep up with on Husqy?

Time will tell.

Update

Since I last posted on this subject, I have continued clearing my acre+ side lot (heavily wooded) of mostly poplar and locust trees, with an occaisional pine or cedar.

The Craftsman 55cc/18" bar has proven very servicable for felling the larger trees and for bucking up all but the smallest ones. However, I have added a Stihl MS-170 to my arsenal and it is terrific for felling smaller trees, limbing all, and miscellaneous cleanup.

I have concluded that you do, in fact, get what you pay for. I got each of my saws for well under $200 and have already gotten a good bit of that back out of each of them. I can recommend each of them, given the right circumstances, for any homeowner who needs a bargain saw that will meet their needs.

Thanks again for all who offered their advice and experience.

:greenchainsaw:

OldTermite said:
I have concluded that you do, in fact, get what you pay for. I got each of my saws for well under $200 and have already gotten a good bit of that back out of each of them. I can recommend each of them, given the right circumstances, for any homeowner who needs a bargain saw that will meet their needs.

Well said. At the end of the day, that is what really matters for the homeowner, occasional user.

craftsman best saw

step one after buying the saw throw the saftey chain inn the ???? can
and buy a pro grade chain
then modify the muffler by removeing all extra crap in the muffler
these are made by jeng feng in china
these run the same bar and chain as a 51 husky
i have one of these craftsman it does work as it is designed
my only gripe is sears stores for failing to have parts etc
irun a pro arbor 20 inc bar with a non saftey chain and have good power
but i have modified the epa crapy muffler:chainsaw: :givebeer: :popcorn: :chainsaw:

Sorry for the old thread

Looking for a little help with this saw.
I am an active duty Army type and have, shall we saw, not been around home for a while. Over a year ago this saw worked well for me but in preparation for my departure forgot to properly store - not a high priority. So after sitting for 18 months I can not get it to start (no surprise) and the local pro-saw shop says not worth the money to fix. Short of a complete carb tear-down any tips for getting it running again? Thanks for the help.

JAS

Sorry for asking the obvious, Are you using to old gas or did you put new premix in it?
Did you check the spark plug for spark?
If you do a search for "ethenol" in gas, you will find some threads here with pretty disturbing pictures of carburators that had gas sit in them for a while. So if you had gas with ethenol in it, a carb rebuild or even new carb is in order.
Otherwise if you have spark, and didn't flood it, you might just need to take the carb apart and spray some carb cleaner throught the passage ways.
You also might get more replies if you start a new post.

Thanks for your service in the military.

Last edited:
Sears Craftsman 35084 chainsaw failed EPA clean air standards.

The Black Craftsman 55 cc chainsaw failed to meet EPA standards. The EPA website explains why the black Sears Craftsman-MTD 55 cc Chainsaw suddenly disappeared from the shelves. It also explains why Sears pulled the plug on parts and service for this saw. Interesting.
-------------------------

MTD and Jenn Feng Clean Air Act Settlement

WASHINGTON—A Taiwanese manufacturer and three American corporations will pay a $2 million civil penalty for allegedly importing and distributing approximately 200,000 chainsaws in the U.S. that failed to meet federal air pollution standards, the Justice Department and Environmental Protection Agency announced today. The companies also agreed to spend approximately $5 million on projects to reduce air pollution.

Consent Decree 4/24/2008

http://cfpub.epa.gov/compliance/cases/

The Black Craftsman is heavy in weight but it cuts ok for a $199 homeowners saw. I spread the front facing deflector on the muffler a bit wider and opened up the high speed mixture screw about 1/8 turn. It really woke up that saw. The mixture adjustment screws on this saw are a ##### for access. The B&C oiler had to be adjusted for more oil because the B&C was starving for oil.

Craftsman Black 55cc

After some research (after buying a used one dirt cheap) I have discovered that they were made for MTD by Troy-Bilt. There was a safety recall related to a flaky upper handle (which, luckily, my saw has had done) which was how I found out definitive information.

BTW -- Newbie to the forum says "Hi All"

John Smith

After some research (after buying a used one dirt cheap) I have discovered that they were made for MTD by Troy-Bilt. There was a safety recall related to a flaky upper handle (which, luckily, my saw has had done) which was how I found out definitive information.

BTW -- Newbie to the forum says "Hi All"

John Smith

Welcome to the forum. They were made by Jenn Feng Industrial in Taiwan. At the time it was made, the MTD and McCullough brand names were owned by Jenn Feng. The McCullough brand name is now owned by the Electrolux/Husqvarna Group. MTD is owned by somebody else. The original spark plug says "Jenn Feng" on it. Parts are almost impossible to obtain and it is a bear to work on. Woodland Pro and Oregon bars, chains and sprokets can be obtained from Baileys. In my experience, Woodland/Woodsman Pro 20NK chain cuts better than Oregon 95VP. Keep the chain sharp and run the crap out of it and toss it when it dies. IMO, they aren't worth more than $75 and not worth putting money into.

Last edited:
Craftsman Black 55cc

That is actually my plan -- I have a Homelite C-51G with a 24" bar that is down right now. The part is on the way, but I needed a saw last night -- I got the Craftsman for $45 & it will do the job until my C-51G is back up. Now, that is a SAW! Built back in 1964, when they built them to last -- it took it over 30 years to break!

John

That is actually my plan -- I have a Homelite C-51G with a 24" bar that is down right now. The part is on the way, but I needed a saw last night -- I got the Craftsman for $45 & it will do the job until my C-51G is back up. Now, that is a SAW! Built back in 1964, when they built them to last -- it took it over 30 years to break!

John

The all-metal Craftsman saws made back in the 1970-80's were powerful, lightweight and well built. My Craftsman/Poulan made in 1993 is still holding up fairly well. The newer Craftsman saws are crap. Sears used to have a decent network of local service and parts centers. Cost cutting has closed down most of them.

My trying to access and adjust the carb screws on the black Craftsman was highly frustrating in the least. I have ever seen a saw that was so hard to access and work on before. One would almost have to destroy the black Craftsman just to remove the carb and install a carb kit in it.

I have one of the Black 55's and love it. If you are still wondering who makes it, MTD Southwest, Inc in Tempe Arizona. You should never have to put pressure on any chainsaw to get it to cut. If you want it to cut better, take the 5/32 chain off and replace it with a 7/32 chain. As long as you keep your chain sharpened and properly adjusted, you should never have to put pressure on it.

Not true Chris. They make a tablesaw that has a cult following ;) I can tell you that the cordless stuff is very good and about half the price of Makita or Dewalt. I have six sets of the 14.4v drill/saw/flashlight combo's, that work everyday. I've broken some but have yet to wear any out. And at $99 a combo, I like them plenty :p

+1 on the Ryobi BT3000 Precision Cut table saw.
Pioneerguy600

Sooooo... is that "chain" size? Or the size of the file you use to sharpen the chain? :)

Gary

Actually, it's both. The 7/32 chain has bigger teeth which requires a 7/32 file to sharpen with. With bigger teeth you get a lot better cut process in a shorter time without having to put pressure on the saw.:greenchainsaw:

It has already been said, but that saw was sold pretty heavily in a 46cc version in Yellow and Black. They called it MAC 4600 or MAC 4618. I have seen several in the shop here. Sorry guys, but they are decent runners. The only complaint I have is that the fuel lines are usually as crunchy as fresh Ritz crackers. You have to disassemble the entire saw to replace the impulse line (same as fuel line) which is usually broken. :dizzy: The choke linkage is a bit cheesy on them. This is best repaired by removing the choke shaft and loosen/polish the choke parts on the carb. I don't really like the crank seals on them either, though they seem to last.

They are no 346 Husky, but with a simple screwdriver muffler mod and carb adjust they seem to run OK. A decent looking one will bring $100+ on CL here. 55cc maybe a little more (except for the clown asking $500 for his black one....)

Actually, it's both. The 7/32 chain has bigger teeth which requires a 7/32 file to sharpen with. With bigger teeth you get a lot better cut process in a shorter time without having to put pressure on the saw.:greenchainsaw:

Wow, that's great information, thanks for sharing it. If you could help me out a little more with this, I'm looking at Bailey's chain page, and I can't find 7/32 chain. I can find 3/8, .325, and .404. Which should I get?

:taped:

Latest posts

Back