Back from Mr. Hall's, MS181, MS211, MS441 tests.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2000ssm6

Stihl User
Reaction score
Let me thank Tommy for getting the 181 and 211 in his shop quick, I called him the week before I drove up and asked if I could try out these new tiny saws. He didn't have them in stock but they were there that next week.:D

While I was there a feller had ordered a big arse honkin' 880 with the 59" b&c. That saw was the biggest combo I have seen in person, WOW!:dizzy: I got to see the "shed", that man has got a butt load of nice saws. How about a minty 066 and like new 880? Just to name a few. I handled the 5100, 7900 and 346NE. They felt great but that 346 clutch cover is horrible.

attachment.php

I bought the 2 saws and a FS100RX trimmer. I wanted to get both to see which one I liked and sell the other. The first few runs of the tiny saws were impressive.:clap: They look well built and have all the power the specs say. If I didn't know any better, these were a standard 2 stroke saw. They rev and hold the rpm in the wood great. The 211 has a little more power and has the common 3/8" picco, 5/32 b&c. The 181 has the smallest chain I have ever seen, it is called 3/8" picco micro mini, very tiny. Either one of these will smoke a 180 and murder my muffler modded echo 346, there is no comparison. I have not ran these 2 much but will soon be going to a a few big oak jobs this morning to get in some more run time.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Tom also brought his 441 to the shop so I could see what all the fuss was about. I'm a hard core 440/460 guy and love the power to weight ratio of them. The 441 is no slouch and really tore arse through the log.:chainsaw: I didn't find the weight a problem at all. The 441 has more power than the 440 and 2171, no doubt. Stock for stock the 441 is the winner hands down. You would have to open the muffler up on the 440 to get at the stock 441's level. Very smooth in the cut and you don't get a face full of 2 stroke when cutting. I was very impressed with the 441 and if my 460 were not ported, it would be sold to buy a 441. I really like that saw!!! So anyone thinking of getting a 441, the bad comments on here are total BS, run one and make your choice with that. The 441 would be a great felling bucking saw with a 25" b&c. Stihl did a great job on the 441 and if the future stratos are like it and the 181/211, saws will have taken a step forward for the better.

Let me thank Tommy for getting the 181 and 211 in his shop quick, I called him the week before I drove up and asked if I could try out these new tiny saws. He didn't have them in stock but they were there that next week.:D

While I was there a feller had ordered a big arse honkin' 880 with the 59" b&c. That saw was the biggest combo I have seen in person, WOW!:dizzy: I got to see the "shed", that man has got a butt load of nice saws. How about a minty 066 and like new 880? Just to name a few. I handled the 5100, 7900 and 346NE. They felt great but that 346 clutch cover is horrible.

attachment.php

I bought the 2 saws and a FS100RX trimmer. I wanted to get both to see which one I liked and sell the other. The first few runs of the tiny saws were impressive.:clap: They look well built and have all the power the specs say. If I didn't know any better, these were a standard 2 stroke saw. They rev and hold the rpm in the wood great. The 211 has a little more power and has the common 3/8" picco, 5/32 b&c. The 181 has the smallest chain I have ever seen, it is called 3/8" picco micro mini, very tiny. Either one of these will smoke a 180 and murder my muffler modded echo 346, there is no comparison. I have not ran these 2 much but will soon be going to a a few big oak jobs this morning to get in some more run time.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Tom also brought his 441 to the shop so I could see what all the fuss was about. I'm a hard core 440/460 guy and love the power to weight ratio of them. The 441 is no slouch and really tore arse through the log.:chainsaw: I didn't find the weight a problem at all. The 441 has more power than the 440 and 2171, no doubt. Stock for stock the 441 is the winner hands down. You would have to open the muffler up on the 440 to get at the stock 441's level. Very smooth in the cut and you don't get a face full of 2 stroke when cutting. I was very impressed with the 441 and if my 460 were not ported, it would be sold to buy a 441. I really like that saw!!! So anyone thinking of getting a 441, the bad comments on here are total BS, run one and make your choice with that. The 441 would be a great felling bucking saw with a 25" b&c. Stihl did a great job on the 441 and if the future stratos are like it and the 181/211, saws will have taken a step forward for the better.

I see ya made it home. Was good to have you stop by, was fun but you need to stop cussing so much, you sound like that guy in Leesburg at the Stihl shop,opppppppppppppppps.

Of note, I can't find my 441 ole boy, wouldn't by chance know where it walked off to would ya??????????????????????

I see ya made it home. Was good to have you stop by, was fun but you need to stop cussing so much, you sound like that guy in Leesburg at the Stihl shop,opppppppppppppppps.

Of note, I can't find my 441 ole boy, wouldn't by chance know where it walked off to would ya??????????????????????

LOL, the feller I was working with at school mentioned he had never heard such a ear full of cussin'. I told that sob to work fast I need to get the F out of here on time.:D

Hmmmm, the 441............nope haven't seen it...........:hmm3grin2orange:

LOL, the feller I was working with at school mentioned he had never heard such a ear full of cussin'. I told that sob to work fast I need to get the F out of here on time.:D

Hmmmm, the 441............nope haven't seen it...........:hmm3grin2orange:

LOL, well tell him some folks tend to make their point loud and clear with a few choice words now and then, with me its about every 20 seconds,LOLOL

I found the 441, its here at the shop, no wonder I couldn't find it in the shed. That saw is hard to keep up with in more ways than one,hehe

Now that you have these new generation saws "in-hand", tell us more.

I see that they've gone to spring AV, and prefiltering air, ala Husqvarna.

Are these 4mix engines or strato?

Specifically, what is the displacement, rated HP, and weight with fuel and oil of the 211?

I've heard it has a double boobie engine and a huge shaft, makes me wonder just what this saw is for, the woods or the movies,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

I heard it had a oil and 3 gallon fuel tank mounted on a backpack so only guys like Hoss could handle it!

Specifically, what is the displacement, rated HP, and weight with fuel and oil of the 211?

Give me some more time, LOL. They are both strats... I will post more this afternoon....real weights also.......

181: 31.8cc, 2.0hp, 9.5lbs
211: 35.2cc, 2.3hp, 9.5lbs

http://www.stihl.com/isapi/default....1_181_211/neue_ausstattungsklasse/default.htm

I am told Stihl is favoring this direction as opposed to going with the 4mix engines for their saws. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:
Yep, glad I went with my own feelings and got the new 441 last month. If I'd only read and thought about some of the negative posts here.... Of course, there've been some postive posts, too. But it gets my vote as the nicest saw I've used. It's everything good I expected it to be. The dealer where I bought mine claimed that he's selling "tons" of 441s and has had none brought back.

Have fun with the new ones...tell us which one you decide to keep.

Last edited:
Yep, glad I went with my own feelings and got the new 441 last month. If I'd only read and thought about some of the negative posts here.... Of course, there've been some postive posts, too. But it gets my vote as the nicest saw I've used. It's everything good I expected it to be. The dealer where I bought mine claimed that he's selling "tons" of 441s and has had none brought back.

Have fun with the new ones...tell us which one you decide to keep.

There are several of us, mostly Dealers, who have been saying just this about the 441 for sometime now.

Most of the nay sayers, are those who want to modify. Which will happen, and has been proven can happen. The difference, a simple muffler mod doesn't do it.

It's a great saw, I've got companies that only ran 044's, that have switched over to the 441...one bought 7 the day after I loaned them one for an hour. If the rest of the new saw line up mirrors what they did with that saw, the majority (vast) will be very happy customers.

I want to join the chourus of "I told you so" concerning the MS441. I traded a mint 044 for one after they first were introduced. I could tell imeadiately the Stihl had done their homework, smooth, peppy acceleration and powerful saw. I have read posts on here with negative comments and while I understand a person's feelings about a saw, good or bad, are subjective and what I like is not necessarily what someone else will like. But the negative comments seemed to be made by people who had not run the 441. I say try it and if you really don't like it, fine. That leaves more for me!

attachment.php

The first few runs of the tiny saws were impressive.:clap: They look well built and have all the power the specs say. If I didn't know any better, these were a standard 2 stroke saw. They rev and hold the rpm in the wood great. The 211 has a little more power and has the common 3/8" picco, 5/32 b&c. The 181 has the smallest chain I have ever seen, it is called 3/8" picco micro mini, very tiny. Either one of these will smoke a 180 and murder my muffler modded echo 346, there is no comparison. I have not ran these 2 much but will soon be going to a a few big oak jobs this morning to get in some more run time.

Are you running 14" or 16" bars on these saws?

You obviously like the 181 over the 180. Do you feel the 211 is an improvement over the 210 as well? I have never been a 210 fan, as it was a big clunker for the power it put out. But, I am interested a bit in the new 211 as it supposedly has more power.

Keep us updated on how they performed on the oak jobs... I'm thinking the 441/211 may be an ideal combo for all chores. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back