Back from Mr. Hall's, MS181, MS211, MS441 tests.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clarification?

I take it that the ms181 is taking the place of the ms180? Is this correct?

How have they changed the saw?

The 181 has the smallest chain I have ever seen, it is called 3/8" picco micro mini, very tiny.

Tom also brought his 441 to the shop so I could see what all the fuss was about. I'm a hard core 440/460 guy and love the power to weight ratio of them. The 441 is no slouch and really tore arse through the log.:chainsaw: I didn't find the weight a problem at all. The 441 has more power than the 440 and 2171, no doubt. Stock for stock the 441 is the winner hands down. You would have to open the muffler up on the 440 to get at the stock 441's level. Very smooth in the cut and you don't get a face full of 2 stroke when cutting. I was very impressed with the 441 and if my 460 were not ported, it would be sold to buy a 441. I really like that saw!!! So anyone thinking of getting a 441, the bad comments on here are total BS, run one and make your choice with that. The 441 would be a great felling bucking saw with a 25" b&c. Stihl did a great job on the 441 and if the future stratos are like it and the 181/211, saws will have taken a step forward for the better.[/QUOTE]

the chain on my carving saw is 1/4" pitch, way smaller than picco micro mini.:clap:

I got to meet Hoss but didn't get a chance to check out his collection.:cry:Next time I'm up there to buy a 441, that will be one of my goals.:D
Could you notice the weight difference between the 440 and the 441 saws??? In the last year the 440 was made, it said it weight's 13.9lbs and the 441 weight's 14.6. Ive been wondering if i should trade my 440 for a 441???......I would like to get my hands on a 660 even though i have my Makita 7900.

The 211 is now on the 181 chassis, correct? So now it is the largest option for its weight rather than being the least power on the 250 chassis.

If I hadn't just got the 180 for a smokin deal, I'd definately be looking at the 211 for a small saw. My dealer doesn't have them in yet.

Let me thank Tommy for getting the 181 and 211 in his shop quick, I called him the week before I drove up and asked if I could try out these new tiny saws. He didn't have them in stock but they were there that next week.:D

While I was there a feller had ordered a big arse honkin' 880 with the 59" b&c. That saw was the biggest combo I have seen in person, WOW!:dizzy: I got to see the "shed", that man has got a butt load of nice saws. How about a minty 066 and like new 880? Just to name a few. I handled the 5100, 7900 and 346NE. They felt great but that 346 clutch cover is horrible.

attachment.php

I bought the 2 saws and a FS100RX trimmer. I wanted to get both to see which one I liked and sell the other. The first few runs of the tiny saws were impressive.:clap: They look well built and have all the power the specs say. If I didn't know any better, these were a standard 2 stroke saw. They rev and hold the rpm in the wood great. The 211 has a little more power and has the common 3/8" picco, 5/32 b&c. The 181 has the smallest chain I have ever seen, it is called 3/8" picco micro mini, very tiny. Either one of these will smoke a 180 and murder my muffler modded echo 346, there is no comparison. I have not ran these 2 much but will soon be going to a a few big oak jobs this morning to get in some more run time.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Tom also brought his 441 to the shop so I could see what all the fuss was about. I'm a hard core 440/460 guy and love the power to weight ratio of them. The 441 is no slouch and really tore arse through the log.:chainsaw: I didn't find the weight a problem at all. The 441 has more power than the 440 and 2171, no doubt. Stock for stock the 441 is the winner hands down. You would have to open the muffler up on the 440 to get at the stock 441's level. Very smooth in the cut and you don't get a face full of 2 stroke when cutting. I was very impressed with the 441 and if my 460 were not ported, it would be sold to buy a 441. I really like that saw!!! So anyone thinking of getting a 441, the bad comments on here are total BS, run one and make your choice with that. The 441 would be a great felling bucking saw with a 25" b&c. Stihl did a great job on the 441 and if the future stratos are like it and the 181/211, saws will have taken a step forward for the better.

Good report but, you and tom in a shed together. (He puts the lotion on the skin)

We can even get these saws yet from NES. They better be much better than the current 170/180's since they are 60$ more than the 170/180's. At 240$ and 260$ they are awful pricey for a trim saw.

We can even get these saws yet from NES. They better be much better than the current 170/180's since they are 60$ more than the 170/180's. At 240$ and 260$ they are awful pricey for a trim saw.

No no, 259.95 for the plain 181 and 279.95 for the plain 211. Also very little wiggle room on price verses cost on these saws. Anyone coming in the door wanting 30-35.00 off on these saws may as well forget it.

Well I only got 3 tanks run through the 211 so far, the boys didn't call for the other oak so I did the one in my yard.:D I got over a full cord of wood...

Weights on a bathroom scale that only reads in .5 increments, these are ready to cut, b&c, fuel and oil.

181 11.0lbs
211 11.0lbs
echo 346 10.0lbs

So far the 211 seems to have a little more power and I can't tell if it's gaining with more tanks of fuel, 3 so far. It's using 3/4 of oil to 1 tank of fuel, oiling great! This oak was dead/rotton on the bottom so I had to make a high felling cut, used the 460 for that. Started at 24" when the wood was live. Used the 211 for 90% of the cuts, even full 16" cuts. I have got to finish the trunk with the 460.

attachment.php

In this pic I have the 181 on the left and 211 on the right, the 181 has less than a tank of fuel and the 211 has over 3 tanks. These air filters look the same and clean considering the wood the 211 has cut. Air filtration is great!

attachment.php

I made some vids with the digi cam to cut some cookies and get a idea how it cut time wise. In a 10in. peice of green oak...
211: 9 seconds
346: 30+ seconds(gave up)
ported 026: 6 seconds

I have decided to keep the 211 and sell the 181, it will be in the classifieds for a week, then off to fleabay. They are the same weight but the 211 has a little more power.

Are you running 14" or 16" bars on these saws?

You obviously like the 181 over the 180. Do you feel the 211 is an improvement over the 210 as well? I have never been a 210 fan, as it was a big clunker for the power it put out. But, I am interested a bit in the new 211 as it supposedly has more power.

Keep us updated on how they performed on the oak jobs... I'm thinking the 441/211 may be an ideal combo for all chores. :cheers:

Both are 16" but the 181 has a smaller chain. I have only used a 018 and the 181 will blow it away. I have no experience with a 210 but this 211 makes great power for it's size.

The 441/211 combo sounds good but remember the 181/211 are "homeowner" saws. I'm not sure if they will take the beating a 441(or any other pro saw) can but I will find out.

Could you notice the weight difference between the 440 and the 441 saws??? In the last year the 440 was made, it said it weight's 13.9lbs and the 441 weight's 14.6. Ive been wondering if i should trade my 440 for a 441???......I would like to get my hands on a 660 even though i have my Makita 7900.

Weight wasn't a issue...

If you plan on keeping the 440 for a collection or porting it, keep the 440. Otherwise sell it and buy a 441.

The 211 is now on the 181 chassis, correct? So now it is the largest option for its weight rather than being the least power on the 250 chassis.

If I hadn't just got the 180 for a smokin deal, I'd definately be looking at the 211 for a small saw. My dealer doesn't have them in yet.

Yes on the first question, I don't understand the last.........

LOL, we were waiting on you to join.:hmm3grin2orange:

Shhhhhhhhhh don't tell him that, he'll never show up. We're gonna have him sqealing like a pig in due time, :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Woodie said he loves to be bent over......

Woodie needs to come to Va someday and join us ole country boys. We'll show him why in Virginia the men are called men and the sheep run scared all the time,LOLOLOLOL

Latest posts

Back