Back from Mr. Hall's, MS181, MS211, MS441 tests.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to see the 441 finally getting some respect as a great saw. It always seemed like it you touted its praises around here the 440 and 460 users liked to make fun of it.

I got one and had it modded, to use instead of the 660 for normal felling with a 28" bar and skip, and I feel a soul could not ask for a sweeter saw.

I'm not sure there are any cons to the little thing. What is given up in pure down to the nano second of speed a hopped up 460 or stock 660 it more than makes up in outcutting them both by a wide margin per gas fill up. So while the other guy is stopped to fill up you are still cutting right along.

Without a stopwatch you couldn't tell the difference between a modded 441 and modded 460.

The filtration system is quite wonderful, when I first got it I used it for 6 weeks cutting and bucking and would open the lid to see a clean filter with maybe one small chip in it. The filter just stays clean with that new program they have there.

My opinion,

Sam

Us Husky guys have been trying to tell the Stihl heads about the smoothness of the AV and Air Injection for years now. Now the STIHLAVARNA 441 comes out, and its the greatest thing since sliced bread??? LOL WTH

Husky makes a nice saw no doubt but the build quality is lacking to say the least. I'm not a fan of the springy, sloppy husky anti vibe and know I need to clean air filters as a part of maintence. You put the 372 and 441 beside each other and there is no comparsion, the 441 is the better saw. I also think the 440 and 460 are a better saw so go figure.....

Stihl would have never went to springs if they were not pushed by those wacky overseas testers, their saws have been the best sellers since they started. Ya'll can hide behind your anti vibe and air filters but Stihl is and will remain #1.

Good to see the 441 finally getting some respect as a great saw. It always seemed like it you touted its praises around here the 440 and 460 users liked to make fun of it.

I got one and had it modded, to use instead of the 660 for normal felling with a 28" bar and skip, and I feel a soul could not ask for a sweeter saw.

I'm not sure there are any cons to the little thing. What is given up in pure down to the nano second of speed a hopped up 460 or stock 660 it more than makes up in outcutting them both by a wide margin per gas fill up. So while the other guy is stopped to fill up you are still cutting right along.

Without a stopwatch you couldn't tell the difference between a modded 441 and modded 460.

The filtration system is quite wonderful, when I first got it I used it for 6 weeks cutting and bucking and would open the lid to see a clean filter with maybe one small chip in it. The filter just stays clean with that new program they have there.

My opinion,

Sam

That sounds spot on from what I have read from others. I really don't see how anyone could not like that saw. I would have to run a ported 441 against my ported 460 to see how much of a difference, if any, there was.

Husky makes a nice saw no doubt but the build quality is lacking to say the least. I'm not a fan of the springy, sloppy husky anti vibe and know I need to clean air filters as a part of maintence. You put the 372 and 441 beside each other and there is no comparsion, the 441 is the better saw. I also think the 440 and 460 are a better saw so go figure.....

Stihl would have never went to springs if they were not pushed by those wacky overseas testers, their saws have been the best sellers since they started. Ya'll can hide behind your anti vibe and air filters but Stihl is and will remain #1.

Well, I don't agree. Never seen a build quality issue, I have some Stihls, and Huskies too, and I can't honestly tell a difference between them in build quality, I'm talking pro saw to pro saw, not the cheap homeowner crap. I've taken apart and put together enough of them both to have an informed opinion HAVE YOU??? Also don't agree that they are springy sloppy, they just have better AV then Stihl, when running saws its a good thing IMHO. But the springy sloppy 441 is the cats ass right??? You obviously didn't see the thread from Timberwolf about the build quality on newer Stihls??? Really crappy cylinder castings on the 460 and 660.

Last edited:
Well, I don't agree. Never seen a build quality issue, I have some Stihls, and Huskies too, and I can't honestly tell a difference between them in build quality, I'm talking pro saw to pro saw, not the cheap homeowner crap. I've taken apart and put together enough of them both to have an informed opinion HAVE YOU??? Also don't agree that they are springy sloppy, they just have better AV then Stihl, when running saws its a good thing IMHO. You obviously didn't see the thread from Timberwolf about the build quality on newer Stihls??? Really crappy cylinder castings on the 460 and 660.

Yup, had a 2171 that was just about to fall apart, needed 5 heli coils. Got a 272xp that seems to be built better, used 372s, 346s, 359s, 385s. I guess I'm just used to Stihl and the huskies I've tried made me go back to Stihl. The husky anti vibe and filter system is great but not good enough to change my fleet. As far as the casting goes that is not good but I don't see any problems having a cylinder replaced due to damage from a bad casting. That is Mahle also, they make your cylinders too.

I've taken apart and put together enough of them both to have an informed opinion HAVE YOU???
???????????????????????

Yup, had a 2171 that was just about to fall apart, needed 5 heli coils. Got a 272xp that seems to be built better, used 372s, 346s, 359s, 385s. I guess I'm just used to Stihl and the huskies I've tried made me go back to Stihl. The husky anti vibe and filter system is great but not good enough to change my fleet. As far as the casting goes that is not good but I don't see any problems having a cylinder replaced due to damage from a bad casting. That is Mahle also, they make your cylinders too.

I'm guess the 2171 wasn't new??? Previously abused??? You've used some of the saws? So you've never really owned many besides a couple old used ones?????

???????????????????????

I'm guess the 2171 wasn't new??? Previously abused??? You've used some of the saws? So you've never really owned many besides a couple old used ones?????

Yup, taken apart a few, enough to know I don't want any.

That 2171 was used, abused? Not sure on that but bolts falling out and stripping their holes are common on them. I had to buy 3 heli coil kits to work on buddies saws that have fallen apart this same way. Keep them tight with a thread locker and they seem to last longer. I have ran across very few T27s that were this way.

That 2171 was used, abused? Not sure on that but bolts falling out and stripping their holes are common on them. I had to buy 3 heli coil kits to work on buddies saws that have fallen apart this same way. Keep them tight with a thread locker and they seem to last longer. I have ran across very few T27s that were this way.

I agree the T27's are nice, I do like then allot with the knurled backs. I've often though of using them in my Huskies. I've never had a problem with stripped holes on my huskies, maybe cause I am kinda anal when it comes to my tools, I check my saws after every use, usually clean them, there fore they are always tight. I've had 4 huskies now that have come from commercial use, and only 1 so far has had stripped holes, and its only 1 on the top cover, and I still haven't done anything with it, doesn't seem to matter.

Weights on a bathroom scale that only reads in .5 increments, these are ready to cut, b&c, fuel and oil.

181 11.0lbs
211 11.0lbs
echo 346 10.0lbs

I made some vids with the digi cam to cut some cookies and get a idea how it cut time wise. In a 10in. peice of green oak...
211: 9 seconds
346: 30+ seconds(gave up)
ported 026: 6 seconds

Those weights, is that with or without the bar? Hmmm....11lbs, seems kind heavy for a 2hp-class saw considering the 180 weighs 8.8lbs. Where is all that extra weight coming from?

Since the 260 weighs 10.6lbs and the 270 weighs 11.7lbs, I am sorta at a loss for where the 211 fits into the lineup. Do you feel the 221 has a niche for limbing jobs, or will the 026 be your go-to saw for those jobs?

I have never had a problem with this on my saws.

Those weights, is that with or without the bar? Hmmm....11lbs, seems kind heavy for a 2hp-class saw considering the 180 weighs 8.8lbs. Where is all that extra weight coming from?

Since the 260 weighs 10.6lbs and the 270 weighs 11.7lbs, I am sorta at a loss for where the 211 fits into the lineup. Do you feel the 221 has a niche for limbing jobs, or will the 026 be your go-to saw for those jobs?

That's with the bar and chain, full of gas and oil. Powerhead-only, the 211 is 9.something pounds (read this thread, it was on one of the first pages).

Ya, I agree that's why I said they must of been previously abused. It's just not common to have a bunch of holes stripped like he says. The tree guys I know and fix their saw, abuse their saws, and they don't have this problem.

Allen heads are much easier to clean out when they are filled with crud than the torx. ;)

I guess the guys down in NC don't know how to take care of their saws. :)

I've seen the same thing with some Huskies. I've mentioned here before that friends of our's run a excavation business and had the same trouble with the 372's they had. Loose bolts, especially at the muffler, and lots of loc-tite. This is a small family run business that is VERY maintenance intensive because their equipment is their livelihood.

They've implemented a successful program to ween themselves from the Huskies into big boy Stihls.

I'll say this... I have never had to put a drop of loc-tite on any new Stihl before it left the building. :laugh:

Back